Breakfast in Hell has changed its name

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

These shots are ranging. The first looks like we were playing the invertedcross+ map with the chambers that is higher up in this thread. The second looks like we were playing inaktek, but the only player who got inaktek to play right was Your_mom. The rest of us had it acting like a 0.2.7.1 or earlier client on a hexatron board. I also tried to get the repeat map in there, and that failed too, and some of these shots look like they were from that attempt.

So what's happening here is that the server is switching the map, and the client is even downloading it, but then the client isn't using the switched map. So we're not getting the "You should upgrade" error, but we're getting the same fundamental problem, the client isn't using the right map.

Pushing things a little harder, we started doing laps on the invertedcross+ map that appears higher up in this thread. We lapped around the chambers where there's a nice square. Using smartcam, on the outside of the lap, when I got up over 120m/s, the camera goes crazy and can't keep up with the cycle. As you can see on the map, I'm going 120m/s through an area that has lots of terrain features like pillars and stuff.

Attached is another map I'd like to see. :)
Attachments
pillarsoffire.png
pillarsoffire.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 7960 times

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

On the inverted cross with the chambers I was saw the old version yet everyone else saw the new (fixed) version. Lots of weird things going on.

So, unknown setting messages (YOU SHOULD UPGRADE), map not changing even when you get the messages, and wall bugs (? so many, which one).

Edit: feature request for the next DTD. an <Ellipse> and <Circle> element (yes both).
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

pillars of fire /me
Attachments
_,&gt;-~|~-
_,>-~|~-
pillarsoffire-0.2.0.jpg (5.18 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
pillarsoffire-0.2.0.xml
#|\/\/|#
(2 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

We can do this all day. :)

On a side note, it looks like a proper map rotator needs to be able to specify a SIZE_FACTOR for each map. The pillarsoffire map is too small at the size factor that works for the other two maps.
Attachments
crackpipe.png
crackpipe.png (6.37 KiB) Viewed 7948 times

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here's another one.
Attachments
particleaccelerator.png
particleaccelerator.png (5.81 KiB) Viewed 7928 times

- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I still can't get into Crack Pipe. Help?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

That's probably because it wasn't running for some reason. I'll bet my kid turned off the computer again, and I haven't yet made the link from rc.d to init.d to start on boot.

- Iron Maiden
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

My comments were directed at swampland, I think for some pretty good reasons ... cycle_delay, cycle_accel, cycle_speed all changed to a proportion that made the server not much better than those servers where you hit brakes to accelerate. I don't think those were changed in Hell. Granted it was still on a crappy server version, but it would have been much more playable if the lag was comparable to swampland.

Doesn't matter what they are called though, I'll still pine for a server that doesn't suck considering they pretty much all do nowadays. I'm just hoping Tigers teams comes back up because it was one of the last servers with armagoshdarn like settings.

btw, crackpipe as well as 2.8 actually almost look promising rubberwise.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yeah, I know your comments were directed at swampland specifically, but there were quite a few changes on the previous update of Breakfast in Hell intended to bring about a different version of the same result that Swampland was reaching for. I raised CYCLE_WALL_NEAR a bit, so you start accelerating farther from the wall than otherwise (to make mazes harder). I made the grid smaller (the most noteable change). I found a group of settings that ended the 180 problem for the most part (Swampy tried them on his server and had lots of people objecting. What can I say? Swampy's nicer than I am). Of course, I also cut my players to just people who didn't like 180s, I can't even count the times I've been in there and people complained about how they thought the server sucked if they couldn't do 10 180s in a row on a wall.

CYCLE_ACCEL (or whatever it is) stayed in the range [27,29], never went up to 30. But when BoC when down to 22, I stayed high. :)

So, the last iteration of Breakfast in Hell before the name change was considerably different than BoC, and now it's even more so with the maps (but as I mentioned, I'll remove those when silly gets back, unless we can convince nemo and/or someone else to give up a beta build that works on OS 10.2.8. I still haven't decided how long I"ll wait, but the maps have been very well received). So now, the Crack Pipe has the same settings for the little grid, but punishes 180s even more by just killing them outright. Same with adjusts. Rubber still feels a little high, though, even higher than Swampland Classic had (and now Shrunkland has). But with the newest iteration of the settings I've gotten pretty far from it. You can label it Breakfast if you still consider it so, and I'll take that as a compliment, seeing as how I share many of the same tastes in the game with you.

But like all things, rather than get into a pissing match over what's what and who's who, I still think it's better to put BoC in its well-earned place of honor at the dinner table and move on with the current servers. I never played goshdarn, but comparing BoC to ish I think BoC was an improvement, and I think the next generations of Swampland and what's now the Crack Pipe will be improvements over that, and will do so without detracting from the older servers.

- Iron Maiden
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

I just read your long history of Breakfast Luc ... not bad. Trust me, even if you made millions off of armagetron ... and happened to keep Breakfast on all server names, I wouldn't and don't think I even could stake claim to the "Breakfast" name (only "Breakfast of Champions" which in fact was stolen by me from Vonnegut and Wheaties). You were more of a force in getting it rolling than I ever was and you've put far more work into this game and the Breakfast name than I. I honestly don't ever want to make money off of the game though ... I always preferred to play, and that's where I'd want to make my money ;-)

I actually enjoy the idea of coming up with a different server name if I ever brought a server back up. I agree though that a sort of unified and exact way of defining server types would be a good idea (although difficult to do).

I particulary would want to know the accel/speed ratio because I think its a core characteristic of the way servers act.

Granted, I relinquish all copyright / ownership or sole say so of what defines a Breakfast server, but I do retain the right to "claim" what a Breakfast server is, and would always want to be able to put a "Breakfast of Champions xxx" server up if I wanted to.

I'm truly all about the freedom to do and say whatever the hell you want though.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

dont quite get the second map you drew you'll have to explain a bit
Attachments
newhelltitle-0.2.9.jpg
/me
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
newhelltitle-0.2.9.xml
\you
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hmm, can I get big blocky letters? You know, with the shorter wall so you can see the words from a camera floating over the letters. The idea was that it should be a maze there where the letters are. The variation is intended to cut off the left and right sides from each other so that their only path to meet is through the maze. :)

The second map is the standard square grid with little slits in the grid wall that are hopefully small enough that it's very hard to see them. So when someone who doesn't see them and doesn't know they're there tries to grind the grid wall, they'll slip into this corridor that runs around the outside of the grid proper.

This corridor, the particle accelerator, should be updated over time (as philippe gives us the features to do so) to accelerate the cycles that are in it.

From inside the particle accelerator, you should see big blocks that mark the entrance to the chamber. One side of each block is the wall that you see from outside the grid, and there's only a little space between the grid wall and the block, so you pretty much can't grind back out the same way you came in.

The slash at the end of the particle accelerator is angle such that a person who comes upon it without preparation *has* to turn away from the grid wall. That means that they can't use *any* of the entrances through which they entered and they'll have to backtrack at least as far as they came in in order to find an available exit.

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

OT: the text reminded me of a map I made.
Attachments
/me - *
/me - *
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

you can still put the map with the name inside it into the map rotation
posting some maps i think luci could use on the server
Attachments
puzzlepiece-0.1.0.png
puzzlepiece-0.1.0.png (2.12 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
puzzlepiece-0.1.2.png