Breakfast in Hell has changed its name

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

IF it says -pre, doesn't that mean it's not one of the betas, but an older cvs snapshot? Maybe you should try installing one of the betas. Those are versioned 0.2.8_beta2 (that's the newest).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Ugh, I guess I could install another version of arma, I'll just have to delete one of the other 3 I already have.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:So, is it possible to embed line feeds into the CONSOLE_MESSAGE command so I can use one command to put a whole bunch of lines of text?
No, sorry.
Fonkay: if it happens again, be sure to write down the last console messages. In earlier versions, there was insufficient output when a map got downloaded (and it was sometimes slow) so that a download looked exactly like a freezer. Of course, the reset button would have worked in that situation.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh heh, here's a new map in the rotation. :)

The name comes from this crackpot website.
Attachments
Tzeentch-0.1.png
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

On the Tzeentch map:

When 3 people were in the room—I would start the round (right after the blackness) following Lucifer. After the round countdown, it would immeaditily jump back to my cycle.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

this is an idea i had for a map..

if anyone wants to code it for me, its ok

or i'll figger it out & make it.. anywho.. blah
Attachments
STidea.jpg
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Graph paper. :) I used it to plan the two mazes I made. I don't know if your_mom is using it, but anyway, here's what you do.

You draw your maze onto the graph paper. If you're using regular grids like I am (like you would've used for DnD back in the day), then you just count the points. I multiplied all mine by 10 to give me a reasonable amount of room to add stuff. Then to put a spawn point off the grid lines, I just added 5 to the nearest lowest grid line.

Phillippe's map tutorial is excellent and tells you everything you need to know, and is very easy to read, so read that, draw your map onto the graph paper, and you'll have it quickly.

- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Neat idea SuperTard.

I should suggest a small detail for square based maps like yours. The original map is of size 500 by 500. Go with that unless you are expressively looking for small-tight fast action or long distance combat feelings.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hmmm, my graph paper doesn't have 50 x 50 on it, so I've just been going as high as it goes and using SIZE_FACTOR to change it (or whatever it is). My maps have been running about 220 x 300 by your scale. Is that bad?

- Iron Maiden
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

<-- busts out some graph paper & prints up tute

:)

hmm i couldnt find my fine square graph paper so .. i made this & some reason its 480x480 forgot abotu the zero square i guess.. anywho..
its gonna take me a while to wrap my head around the diagonal line part of the tutorial..

if anyone wants to make this b4 i can (couple 3 weeks), thats fine, i'd owe u some 3dmax work if'n ye want to barter

(oops.. noticed i put the -y axis north instead of south on my coordnates #'s)
Attachments
anticampi.jpg
Last edited by SuPeRTaRD on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

added the following bit to the "Appendix I: Map writing best practice" part of the tutorial

Code: Select all

I - 2) Arena size
The original map is of size 500 by 500. Many servers have setting
that are oriented toward this size, and players are used to battle
in such an environment. 

A map that is significantly larger or smaller will require the
server admin to affect the scale facter to be used with the map to
preserve the gaming experience tailorder to the server. 

This is not a hard rule of any sort. One could easily imagine a
extremely large maze. In this instance, the true factor would be
the corridor width rather than the total size of the play area.
I've commited the changes in cvs in the branch b0_2_8. Is that something that is easy for most everybody to access? Should I try to re-publish it on this forum everytime I change a paragraph, or are you happy with anything slightly better than the first version?

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Lucifer wrote:Hmmm, my graph paper doesn't have 50 x 50 on it, so I've just been going as high as it goes and using SIZE_FACTOR to change it (or whatever it is). My maps have been running about 220 x 300 by your scale. Is that bad?
Lol, no, it's not bad by itself. It just makes it harder to administer on a server with map rotation because you need to balance size_factor. That also hinder the portability of a map to other systems. While this might not be a point for "the crack pipe", a map typed to a server, the other maps that Your_mom has made are the kind that can be used by many different servers.

On another thread I've mentionned that I have code where the map could define it's own settings. It's easy to imagine that you could use this to double the size of your map. But its just a quick-and-dirty solution by itself. Should a server decide to set its size_factor to a different value than the default (I dont know, they want to fight in large arenas or whatever), then a map using such a tactic (setting its own size_factor) will be totally dispropotioned.

You could double all the values in your maps, that would fit them in about 440 by 600 (264 000 square units vs 250 000 square unit for the original map, very close). That would skip any SIZE_FACTOR manipulations.

So, as I've said, not bad. There are some minor consequences, but minor is the key word here.

-ph

a better phrasing of the 500x500 -RECOMMENDATION- can be found here http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 3816#33816
Edit: Oups, I had forgotten to submit it AND it was for the same thread! Silly rabbit.

The post about maps supporting settings is http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 3813#33813
Last edited by philippeqc on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canis meus id comedit.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

an html version of the tute with pictures built into the examples would help alot.. IMO

for dunces like me

this part does this: (insert pretty picture for tard to look at here)

this next part does this: (nuther pretty picture)

see! isnt this easy!

next, we can do this too: (ooh pretty pictures!)

;P

prolly be good if the pictrures were on some sort of graph grid & had numbers on the side, etc, similar to the piccy i just posted, so that there was a graphical example of some of the finer points..
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:its gonna take me a while to wrap my head around the diagonal line part of the tutorial..
Unwrap your head right not, there is no such part in the tutorial. It must by my Axes and Advanced Axes parts that confused you. The top left diagonal wall is

<ObstacleWall>
<Point x="180" y="0"/> <!-- I'm assuming that wall touches your rim -->
<Point x="80" y="100"/> 
</ObstacleWall>
The top right horizontal wall would be

<ObstacleWall>
<Point x="300" y="60"/>
<Point x="400" y="60"/> 
</ObstacleWall>
SuPeRTaRD wrote:(oops.. noticed i put the -y axis north instead of south on my coordnates #'s)
Your map is symetrical, even if you flipped some axes it will play nicely. If you want to preserve the symetry, just stick a "'-" in front of all of your Y's coordinates (ie, use negative values for the Y's, the box would go from (0,0) to (0,-480) to (480,-480) to (480,0) to (0,0). )

If you do that, dont forget to do the same for the directions of the spawn points.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Actually, phillippe, you might find the best result is to say "the map tutorial is in cvs until we have a <insert preferred web-based documentation system here>".

:)

- Iron Maiden