Breakfast in Hell has changed its name

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Not that I know of, obstacle walls were added as part of a problem with cameras that I don't entirely recall. I seem to remember that they're supposed to be walls you can't see through, to be used when it's preferred that you can't see that part of the map. They don't seem to be behaving that way, though. Maybe this is a bug? All I know is that they were added right before beta1. Or maybe it was right after.

Maybe I just don't know anything about them after all. :) I do know that there is a need for walls you can't see through, so I don't see obstaclewalls disappearing just because that tag can easily be used to distinguish one type of wall from the regular Wall tag that me and your mom used in our maps.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:are the obstacle walls part of the code likely to be revised & outdated anytime soon? i noticed they're shorter than normal walls..
You can specify the height of ObstacleWalls, which defaults to 1.5.

Code: Select all

<ObstacleWall height="2.71828182846">
SuPeRTaRD wrote:i have no previous .xml experiance
Don't worry, it's really easy and (at least for now) maps don't need the fancier XML features.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yeah, I'm about to start screwing with a map maker program. I need the function of a map maker in another program and figured I'd take the approach where "I need it for this, but I'd like to have that. If I do that and then port to this, the code in this will be better than if I wrote it for this in the first place." :)

(pygame, though, so ymmv, but I'm starting on it as soon as I finish upgrading my server to beta2, which is what it was supposed to be running anyway)

- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:are the obstacle walls part of the code likely to be revised & outdated anytime soon? i noticed they're shorter than normal walls..
Very strange about the "shorter" aspect, because lenght is never a factor, only the positions you specify in the map. Do you have an example about this? If you do, could you give me the map used for it, the pic in the map picture generator, and maybe a screenshot of it in game? Yes it soud like a lot, but it would allow me to diagnose the problem better.

As for the obstacle walls, they where a last minute addition, and I took the wrong idea when I made it a separate object. The heigh should be controlable directly from the Wall object in version 0.2, and ObstacleWall will be removed.
SuPeRTaRD wrote:cuz im thinking of starting another map & if i need any pointers, i figgured i'd ask b4 i started coding

if i dont need pointers, i will probably code the next map similarly

i have no previous .xml experiance
you did a good job, dont worry about it. The only mistake you made was taht you took the wrong copy of the tutorial. And the fault is all on me.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

philippeqc wrote:Very strange about the "shorter" aspect, because lenght is never a factor, only the positions you specify in the map.
I think he meant shorter as in lower.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Jonathan wrote:
philippeqc wrote:Very strange about the "shorter" aspect, because lenght is never a factor, only the positions you specify in the map.
I think he meant shorter as in lower.
*slaps hand on forhead* My fault again. Tard, you really need the latest tutorial. I'll post it when I get home.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

philippeqc wrote: you did a good job, dont worry about it. The only mistake you made was taht you took the wrong copy of the tutorial. And the fault is all on me.
And it's an excellent map. :) It's the first map I've played where I'm actually a bit nervous about going and fighting for fear of maneuvering against one of these slanted walls. You take for granted that if you come up against a wall one quick turn either way can save you, but with these walls, it has to be a quick turn in only one direction, the other will kill you.

I guess I'll need to adapt, the slanted wall maps aren't going away anytime soon, 'tard's started a new trend in mapmaking. :)

- Iron Maiden
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

saw them first in your signature map ;p

btw your server is offline, but i guess u prolly know that