Swampland vote spammers

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote: But all of this is really useless as long as the kicked spammer can just come back and continue.
Yes and no. :) I've noticed the chat-spam seems to be manageable, mostly. If you keep getting kicked for it, it's not that interesting anymore.
Who's for a quick-and-dirty kickban for spammers? (Persistent only for the current server session, possibly a match or a given time)? A console command and new votes would exist for that, too.
But I'd love to have anything that gives us persistent kick bans. :) How it looks could make the difference, though. When it's chat spam, I have a tendency to type at my normal speed and hit up against the spam protection. Sometimes to reset the spam protection so I can finish what I was saying it's easier to just hit a couple of chat keys, get booted, and come back, than to wait for the spam protection to wear off.

So, you're talking about having four voting choices now, right? Acept, Reject, Don't care, Accept for 10 minutes? Something like that?

How easy would it be to work in another configuration setting that basically specifies "after you've been kicked SPAM_SETTING times in SPAM_SETTING minutes, you will be banned for SPAM_SETTING minutes"

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Sounds like that will resolve the problem fairly fast O_O...
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer: I was talking about a different the issuer of the vote being able to choose "Kick user" or "Kickban user".

What you suggest (automatic ban after n kicks) would be somewhat more difficult, as a bit more than a list of banned IPs would need to be stored. I'd be a real feature :)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:Who's for a quick-and-dirty kickban for spammers?
I did write a quick and dirty kickban patch. It's somewhere. Woulda been useful last night too. I had to IP ban a cloner from Tigers (first time ever ip ban) but this means they are banned from the forums as well. Oops.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yep, I was thinking about integrating that. Back when you posted it you said "nooooo! it's not ready!", but that should not stop us now :)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:Yep, I was thinking about integrating that. Back when you posted it you said "nooooo! it's not ready!", but that should not stop us now :)
Did I? Memory loss... I have no qualms about integrating it now... But maybe I should review the source first. Then again, that's what CVS is all about, fixing your mistakes...
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

Hi guys, just wondering why this moron is allowed to register at the forums? I saw a "sean" user name registered and I am assuming it is him...

also, if you need a new splash screen for A-ad at any point, just ask and I'll make a few new prototypes, just email me since I dont visit here that much anymore
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

agreed
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

locutus wrote:Hi guys, just wondering why this moron is allowed to register at the forums? I saw a "sean" user name registered and I am assuming it is him...
Because it's a public place...
sean
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sean »

AHHH, ISN'T FREEDOM WONDERFUL?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

sean wrote:AHHH, ISN'T FREEDOM WONDERFUL?
Freedom does not come without responsibility. In fact, freedom cannot be defined without responsibility.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sean
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sean »

SO DEEP... AND MY RESPONSIBILITIES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME AS ALL OF YOU HERE, IS THAT IT? NEED EVERYONE TO BE SHEEP? WELL WELCOME TO THIS DIVERSE PLACE WE CALL THE INTERNET.
locutus
Match Winner

Post by locutus »

tank wrote:Because it's a public place...
I thought you owned it?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

locutus wrote:
tank wrote:Because it's a public place...
I thought you owned it?
True... I try to reserve judgement & what not though...
locutus
Match Winner

Post by locutus »

yea, i guess its best to be diplomatic about a site like this, besides it's getting easier to ignore him..