Shrunklandz -- another fraud

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Shrunklandz -- another fraud

Post by LucK »

Phytotron wrote:Try as you might to "flip the script," Taz, you're transparent. Pot, kettle, hypocrite. Not to mention dense (or dishonest), as my objections have already been voiced in this thread and others. What goes for the nyx "clone" and Luck's "tourney" goes for your ripoff (I suppose you're admitting now it has nothing to do with "temporarily testing settings for the tourney"). Get it?
LucK wrote:The server will be changed to a tourney server when the time comes. After the tourney it is up to Taz as to what is done with it. I played with Taz plus other people in this server yesterday and he was talking about how much he misses the old settings (not the settings your server has).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

LucK: if you have to ask what you need to change, you're not doing it right. You're just asking me to draw a virtual line in the sand so you can stay narrowly on the other side and make faces at Phytotron and poke him with a long stick, referring back to me that I allowed it.

On the other hand, I will not subscribe to a 'thou shalt not irritate Phytotron' view. Mostly because he is extremely easy to irritate, case in point:
Phytotron wrote:We also now have that "nub" kid having ripped off the current Shrunkland's physics settings for his "nubland" sumo server. Didn't ask, and no acknowledgment, of course. Gotta spite me, right.
Sounds like a meaningful mutation to me.

If you can't get along, there's technical means to help you ignore each other. We have an enemy list here, and servers hosted by people you find unpleasant can be IP blocked.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

You summed up their attitudes well, but are you seriously asking them to govern themselves? I think the game they've created for themselves is far too fun for them to give up so easily. Those tools that normal mature people can use would obviously be completely useless and ineffective in their case. Regardless of how insignificant their game is, it still does have an awfully big and annoying presence on these forums, don't ya think?
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Z-Man wrote:LucK: if you have to ask what you need to change, you're not doing it right. You're just asking me to draw a virtual line in the sand so you can stay narrowly on the other side and make faces at Phytotron and poke him with a long stick, referring back to me that I allowed it.

On the other hand, I will not subscribe to a 'thou shalt not irritate Phytotron' view. Mostly because he is extremely easy to irritate, case in point:
Phytotron wrote:We also now have that "nub" kid having ripped off the current Shrunkland's physics settings for his "nubland" sumo server. Didn't ask, and no acknowledgment, of course. Gotta spite me, right.

If you can't get along, there's technical means to help you ignore each other. We have an enemy list here, and servers hosted by people you find unpleasant can be IP blocked.
Honestly I don't see the need to change anything. You saying that something needs to be changed and I was just trying to figure out what exactly we needed to change to make the server okay.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

This may be poking a fire ant hill, but this all makes me think an armathentication system for servers might not be a bad idea.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:...and servers hosted by people you find unpleasant can be IP blocked.
Wait... Does this mean I can trim the list coming from the server browser somehow? Is it possible for me to keep a local list of garbage servers and use that to filter the results fetched from the master?

:mrgreen: If not, that would be pretty neat, no?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:
Actually, I can elaborate on this, and others might recall enough to verify this. You probably remember back when I first became active again, and I was repeatedly criticising the fact that all fortress and sumo servers were basically clones of each other, at least where physics were concerned. That I think it strange (at least) that people seem to think there should be or even are "standarised physics" that must go with those game modes. Well, I remember having conversations in-game with people like sinewav and Gene about that, and saying things like, "this is stupid...why not a fortress or sumo server with Swampland-like physics, or Shrunkland-like physics, or whatever?"

So, here again, I don't necessarily have a problem with the very existence of a sumo server that uses Shrunkland physics (although, I would prefer if they were rather Shrunkland-like, with his own tweaks, rather than a straight rip-off—be unique, ffs). My problem is that he did it without so much as running it by me first, that the physics are straight copied, and he hasn't made any acknowledgment of it in the server itself. There's also the fact that it came up in the midst of all this other crap going on, which gives the impression (and I'm inclined to think reality) that it was done as much to taunt me as to just get a different sort of sumo server up.
Z-Man wrote:On the other hand, I will not subscribe to a 'thou shalt not irritate Phytotron' view. Mostly because he is extremely easy to irritate
I've never denied being irritable, especially within the sociocultural context of this game's community (to do so would be like referring to myself as "one of the least irritable people in tron"). But I'm not asking anyone to necessarily go by my measure or standard of irritation. Rather, what should qualify is the sort of crap that would irritate, antagonise, or otherwise run afoul the average person. But that would exclude not only someone "extremely easy to irritate," but the overly passive, patient, and dispassionate personalities who sit back and take it as well—even, perhaps, your own.
Last edited by Phytotron on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Wow, I played in this server a few days ago and I was surprised how hard it is to survive. You need real skill to play here, definitely a challenge :) I like it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

:roll: It was only a matter of time until Liz chimed in. Glad you like my settings. :roll:
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote: My problem is that he did it without so much as running it by me first, that the physics are straight copied, and he hasn't made any acknowledgment of it in the server itself.
So, you're wanting credit for his server, then? You know there's a lot more to running a server than game settings, right?

We've never expected that people would ask or acknowledge when they take someone else's settings. Fact is, for them to try to "steal" your player base from you, they'd almost have to acknowledge they took your settings. If they just take them and use them without saying anything, they get no benefit from having said anything.

Now, it's always been considered polite to credit people who help you set up their server.

But two things around here have always been considered impolite:

* Demanding nobody ever clone your server and that it remain one of a kind
* Demanding credit when other people take settings from you

Furthermore, I don't see how calling it Shrunklandz can't be considered a meaningful distinction from the original Shrunkland. It may be unimaginative, but it would show up in the server list (when sorted alphabetically) *after* your server, and it would clearly look different to anybody looking at it. If he were trying to blatantly hijack, well, we already know what he'd do, he's done *that* before.

You're making mountains out of molehills, Phytotron. Let's get this discussion ended quickly. I'm inclined to lock, any objections or last words?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Besides saying, "I disagree with your particular definition of politeness or polity...."

There is, again, the element of it thatgoes beyond just the swiping of the configuration settings. It's the combination of all these things that makes it objectionable to me, and that, I think quite obviously, is why they've all done it.

And, like I noted in the last thread, I made this one primarily as an announcement, not even knowing initially who was behind it. Regardless of one's opinion on the situation, people deserve to know what the situation is.
You know there's a lot more to running a server than game settings, right?
These days, with all the commercial servers and technical work done for you? Not much. Creativity and identity is in the configuration settings.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav: it's not possible in the game, but you can just instruct your router or firewall to drop all packets from servers you don't like.

LucK: If you want to go the extra mile to prove you're not just doing this to annoy Phytotron, you do what he says. Minus the asking for permission beforehand, it's kind of too late for that. To me, putting a 'based on original settings by ..., hosted by ..." into server_options and/or the MOTD is enough, but as Phytotron rightly observes, I have a lax attitude towards those things, so my opinion may not be something to go by here.
A_Nub

Post by A_Nub »

Phytotron: Hey, at least we all like shrunkland enough to "rip" and "copy" it all over ;) I can add you to the server for credits to the physics if you would like, just stop acting like you are 5 and stop name calling and being offended by something that is clearly a compliment. Someone copying you is one of the greatest compliments possible. So, all I ask is for a little but of maturity and we can fix this. Yet you have shown none, you have not even tried to contact me.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

A_Nub wrote:So, all I ask is for a little but of maturity and we can fix this. Yet you have shown none, you have not even tried to contact me.
And you?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Word wrote:
A_Nub wrote:So, all I ask is for a little but of maturity and we can fix this. Yet you have shown none, you have not even tried to contact me.
And you?
Yes, that. Thread locked now. This would predictably go down the "How am I supposed to treat you with respect if you don't treat me with respect" escalation. I suggest start out fresh in PMs and pretend this thread hasn't happened.