Time to pass the torch

Mmmm... What's cookin in the kitchen?

Moderator: Lucifer

Swampy
Core Dumper

Time to pass the torch

Post by Swampy »

I'm looking for one or two worthy volunteers to take over hosting Swampland and Shrunkland. I have some hopes that two particular people I have in mind will be willing accept the responsibility and offer to take them over - but it's open to just about anyone who has been part of the scene. The stats from either server could be retained and sent to the new host - but that will be up to the new admin to decide.

You might be wondering why - well, that's pretty simple. I lost interest in hosting :) and I would rather keep them alive then just pull the plug.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, I'd take it, but I'd have to rename it to Lag Central.

(otoh, if you want to drive off all previous swampy's players, putting it on my box is a good way to do that)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Thats a too bad to hear, but I completely understand. 8)

I'm actually interested in them. I'm not sure how much I can run off of my box though. Shrunkland I'm pretty sure it can handle.

Not to mention my connection wouldn't do them any justice.

It's a 1.8ghz P4
512mb ram ddr, running windows XP and is running my other servers (which are pretty dead lately.)
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

alright Joe - do you want to start with taking over shrunkland and see how it goes? I think I sent you the configs before, but I can do it again if I haven't. Do you want the existing stats files too?

Who wants Swampland? Gss is hosting a similar clone but it's not the exact flavor of the original.

ca$hMBC, where are you?
:D
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Damn, I can't find the configs anywhere, could you send them to me again Swampy. How long before you pull the servers off?

Send the Ladder configs too if you can. I'm going to try and get them seperate from the cage, unlike what happened with the tub.
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

sure thing Joe - and thanks!
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

The pleasure is all mine pal.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

i have a nice box in chicago i can run shit off, keep me posted.
stakes is high
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

root down wrote:i have a nice box in chicago i can run shit off, keep me posted.
My box is also in Chicago. :)
cash
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by cash »

Swampland 2.7.1 is now running from a data-center in NJ.
It's looking like pings are much more stable and a little lower than before.
Any comments on the server would be appreciated.

Thanks Swampy for the opportunity to keep it going.
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Well, after running shrunkland since Friday, I think its safe to say that this will probably work out. I've found most of the problems, and have answers/solutions to them.

1)The server needs to be restarted every 2/3 days otherwise it starts to slow down heavily.
2) When the server is full, it tends to hiccup and cause some lag, but nothing too noticeable.
3)It REALLY hates anyone playing from Europe, but loves anyone and caters to players in North America. Probably because the server just moved 800 miles inland, but is still tolerable.

Surprisingly, only one person gave me the "YOU SHOULDN'T BE HOSTING THIS GOD THIS PLACE IS SO UNSTABLE SWAMPY SHOULD NEVER HAVE PICKED YOU AGGGGHH" routine. So just to put on the record, anyone who does this is probably going to be banned. Nothing personal, but since the server will obviously never be the exact same thing it was and nothing will be good enough, I see no reason for them to keep playing there. So if anything I'm helping them treasure their wonderful memories of a server on an open source light cycle video game over the internet. :roll:

I do however love all of the positive feedback and is much appreciated. :mrgreen:
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

I checked out Ca$h's server today and he has it running excellent. Seems better than the original.

I haven't had a chance to play on Joe's server, but it's in good hands. And Joe, just so you know - the PC that hosted shrunkland could be had for a very nominal fee :) maybe you could convince some of the hardcores to scratch up some coin and buy it. :P
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

haha, what are its hardware specs?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

joe, i was downloading at the time and i always have shitty ping, even on EU servers, i think it's not so mad at EU players i think
cash
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by cash »

Thanks for the nice words Swampy.
Shrunk is running awesome Joe. Great job!