New skin for default cycle model

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Thunderbird
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Thunderbird »

Here's one but it is only readable form one side
Attachments
Cycle_bodymg.png
Cycle_bodymg.png (10.27 KiB) Viewed 9809 times
Note to self, don't play any online game while running Kazaa it pisses people off.

Not that i use Kazaa

philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Hi, all

It's very interesting to see all the nice skins. You girls and guys have very creative eyes!

It made me think, what if every player had their own skins. What if the game was displaying everybody's skin. I guess it would be pretty interesting. Logging on a server and seeing someone with a flaming cycle, someone with an very racy looking cycle, and the zebra pack, a team of new players determined to make you develop a Pavlovian reaction everytime you see the pijama dressed cousin of a certain noble animal....

Forget about the mechanics of the operation for a moment, the zip-zapping of files around and all, and think of the resulting possibilities. Would it be a good idea? Wouldn't it turn into yet another "chat abuse" problems with obsene skins on every bikes?

What are your thoughts? What have you seen on other network games that worked, and that didnt work?

[On a final note, dont expect me to code any of that soon. I've already bitten way bigger than I can chew. But I'm curious. And dangerous. Dangerous like a curious kitten exploring behind the dresser for the first time. Fear me!]

-ph 7.0
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I think we had that idea a while back, like a long while back, and it'd be pretty cool. It would have to be something that the server could shut off of course, but besides that... I donä't think it'd be an issue.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Tank Program wrote:I think we had that idea a while back, like a long while back, and it'd be pretty cool. It would have to be something that the server could shut off of course, but besides that... I donä't think it'd be an issue.

Why do you say the server should be able to shut it off. For the initial trafic of swapping the skins?

Shouldnt it be more client based. If DumbObsceneNoob insist that his skills can only truly be appreciate by somethin from innapropriate collection of skin, maybe I'd prefer to force a skin of a ferocious kitten to be displayed on my terminal instead.

I really think its a neat idea, but I feel its going to be so much more pain than worth.
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I mean if the server doesn't have the bandwith, it shouldn't be forced to deal with the skins. And yes, like a player police menu item like silence, but instead to turn off their skins.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

Thats a prety neat idea, and thanks thunderbird, thats exactly what I wanted, not alot. thanks
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

I've been toying around with the idea of a cycle customization screen where you could select which cycle and wheel skins to use for your cycle and display it on a rotating cycle. The program would load cycle_body*.png and cycle_wheel*.png and you would use the regular menu setup (left and right arrow keys) to cycle between the different files (like changing video resolutions). File names would be something like cycle_body_k_flames.png. The name displayed in the menu would be everything after cycle_body_ with the _ replaced with spaces to keep the display shorter. The default png would be named [default] or something.

A simpler solution to skin swapping would be just to transfer the file name of the skin with the user information. Then the client would check to see if the skin was available locally and use it, otherwise use the default skin. There would be a menu option to enable/disable using custom skins for all the cycles. When disabled all cycles will use whatever skins are selected on the customization screen.

When you enter a game or as other players enter we could display a message on the console if the skins are missing for a user. Then if you wanted to you can ask the person whose skin you are missing where they got it and go download it. I think there will probably be too many networking issues to deal with if we try to transfer files (firewalls, etc).

Another possible option could be to use a random skin on all the cycles (this would go through all the files and randomly assign skins to each user in the game).
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Sending the skin information instead of the skin, that's very possible I think. We've got ePlayerNetIDs for stuff like that.
k

Post by k »

First try at a camouflage skin. Uses white and black at different transparencies so the colors are shades of the cycle color.
Attachments
cycleskin_k7.jpg
cycle_body_k7.png
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

k: could you post the tires textures of this camouflage skin? I love them!
k

Post by k »

All my tires so far are attached on page 1 of this topic. cycle_wheel_k5.png is the one from the screenshot.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

Wow k, that camoflauge skin is so awsome!
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

K, these skins have been off the hook. But with the camaflouge skin, what exactly are we hiding from on the grid? :o
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

k wrote:I've been toying around with the idea of a cycle customization screen where you could select which cycle and wheel skins to use for your cycle and display it on a rotating cycle.
Nice idea! I love that. I'm all for it!
k wrote: A simpler solution to skin swapping would be just to transfer the file name of the skin ... (snip)

(snip -- client tell you what skin are missing -- /snip)
I think there will probably be too many networking issues to deal with if we try to transfer files (for peer to peer exchange) (firewalls, etc).
Aaaaa, yes, firewalls! hummm.... I knew it just could not be simple!

What about a companion file. For every texture (well or bike), have a text file with the same name (.txt of course), which holds (at least) the url to get the skin? That shouldnt be too long to send by the server alongside the skin name and would be easier to code than peer-to-peer transfers, and be less of a fuss than telling every new players that very-long-url-where-you-got-it-that-you-cant-really be-sure-about-anyway in the middle of a good game.

The gain I see is that this could really allow skins to propagate around. You just have to meet someone who uses it to get it. Skin designers would surely appreciate that.

If we ask very nicely, maybe our dear and overly generous host tank program (aka guru3) will even make us a ftp directory filled with all the skins that get posted (and their companion .txt file)

Anyone up for the coding challenge of skin transfers?

-ph

I should just shut up with my "great ideas" and work on the one I started. "Different shaped arenas!" I thought, "That will be simple enought to start." Famous last word!
Canis meus id comedit.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

k: Sorry, I lost the bottom part of the page 1 of this thread :s

This camouflage skin is awesome! This is now my default skin ;)