New skin for default cycle model

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

philippeqc wrote:What about a companion file. For every texture (well or bike), have a text file with the same name (.txt of course), which holds (at least) the url to get the skin? That shouldnt be too long to send by the server alongside the skin name and would be easier to code than peer-to-peer transfers, and be less of a fuss than telling every new players that very-long-url-where-you-got-it-that-you-cant-really be-sure-about-anyway in the middle of a good game.

If we ask very nicely, maybe our dear and overly generous host tank program (aka guru3) will even make us a ftp directory filled with all the skins that get posted (and their companion .txt file)
They could just be posted as attachments. And it could just be part of the config for each player. Skin, Skin URL. If !exist skin then dl(skin). Theoretically... Just a matter of getting the skin.. Of course, all of this sort of thing is easier to do with player 1 then all 4 players... I could take a brake from working on 4 Lives (like I've actually worked on that in the last week ;).) and work on this some. I don't know about scrolling around a menu, but you could specify it at least in your config. That gets synced to the server then, then synced to all players... I don't know how possible it is to have a different skin for each cycle... That's probably going to be the most work.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

k seemed interested to do the menu/gui (selecting a skin) part of the operation.

To fix for multi player on one terminal, base it on the player menus.

The prob stated by Tank will be true even if you have 1 player per terminal. I dont think the game is designed to support different skins for each player, where ever they are. Fix that and everything will come into place (well, we can dream).
Canis meus id comedit.
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

I was gonna take a stab at. My thoughts were to replace the three color settings on the Player # Settings screen with a new option: Cycle Configuration. That screen would let you choose the cycle body texture, cycle wheel texture, and bike color (it would be nice if the trail color could be set separately as well). To keep it simple for now I was going to skip the spinning 3D cycle preview. :)

I was going to add two new fields to ePlayer for the textures and add config file entries for each player to store them. After getting that part working I was going to look into using the new settings in game. I just did a quick search for "cycle_body" and found it in gCycle.cpp line 559. Right above that code is where the color is retrieved from the player object so it should be easy to grab the textures from the player object as well. :) Network messaging can come later.

Edit: Tank, should we move the development discussion on this to a new topic?
k

Post by k »

philippeqc wrote:If we ask very nicely, maybe our dear and overly generous host tank program (aka guru3) will even make us a ftp directory filled with all the skins that get posted (and their companion .txt file)
We should be able to store moviepacks, skins, etc on sourceforge.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

k wrote:Network messaging can come later.
Unfortunately this is the most important, and probably hardest part. I can't figure out how this works, yet...
k

Post by k »

I've been making some progress on this. I now have config file entries for each player and global entries used by the AI players. ePlayerNetId now loads the textures for each player from ePlayer and the AI players from the global settings. I've tested it out by editing the config file and doing a four player local game. All four players and the AI players had their own cycle and wheel textures. :) I've started work on a dynamically generated selection menu for use in selecting the textures in the menu. Once that is done I can start work on the player cycle menus.

One question I have is where should I put the two menu entries to select the textures for the AI players? For now I have added them to the end of the Preferences menu after the High Rim entry.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Good work. Add it to aiplayers.cfg and have it loaded when it is parsed :). Nice little side project there lol. :)
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

can't keep with young minds...u guys rock
k

Post by k »

I've been working on new cycle/wheel texture set to try and mimic a light cycle using the default model. I've taken it about as far as I am going to so here it is. If you look carefully you will see two new features from the cycle modifications I am working on (not the debug lines). :D

My primary hard drive at work crashed so I will be spending my free time working on that. Luckily I have been working on Armagetron at home this week, so I didn't lose any source files. :)
Attachments
cycle_wheel.png
cycle_body.png
k_Movie_1.jpg
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Nice.
[<AI>]VIPER

Post by [<AI>]VIPER »

how do i download these???
[<AI>]VIPER
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You find out where you installed Armagetronad into (probably C:\Program Files\Armagetronad) and you click on the files and save them into the textures subfolder thereof.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Yay 2.5 year old topics!