3D models- how, where and what

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Seeker
Round Winner

3D models- how, where and what

Post by Seeker »

[Note from subby: this thread has been split out of the priority thread]

Sorry all.....its been a busey weekend. Had to do some work for my clients.

I am going to start working on some new bike models and such in 3ds this week. Anyone know where i can find the models that arma presently uses? i looked breifly through some stuff, but didnt see any raw 3ds files.....did i miss them?

On the issue of respawn.....I feel that at this point, all respawn will do is make the game harder to follow. If implemented, it should be a server option that can be disabled. Im not totally sure its a great idea yet, and i like that if you want to be a surviver, you must work on your player skills, one life per round, ya know?

Hope i didn't hurt anyones feelings.
HEY!!!!! Respect your elders...........Let us win a round!!!
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

absolutely agree on the options argument & i wouldn't except all servers to use it, it just seems like yet another interesting gameplay mode (would be great for shorter periods of playing: a 24hrs pr round server where the highscores is "top speed" and "kills/deaths")

the bike files are the .ase files (ascii scenic export if i remember correctly) there are some plugins available for 3dsmax for importing and exporting those but we really need bleder3d support in the code OR import/export plugins for .ase files in blender3d. this because not everyone can afford 3dsmax and since the game is gnu gpl it would make sense that all the files used should be possible to create in gnu gpl applications (gimp for textures, b3d for models - both gimp and b3d is available for both windows and *nix - and probably most other os'es as well)

minor note: as the .ase files are now they are slightly confusing as the game doesn't seem to use the middle front ground level of the bike model as the 0,0,0 *hasn't figured it out yet* - if you do any editing keep the original as a seperate template for positioning your creation properly when finished
Road Kill
Core Dumper

Post by Road Kill »

Does anyone know the format and program used to create the original bike? (Located in the models folder, non moviepack)

Edit: I changed one of the ....mod files to a ...txt (text) file and visually compared it to other 3D file types. It was similar to some, but seemed to lack any header information that I could understand. Maybe Tank, Sub or Marrow could open one of these files with a decompiler (if such a thing exists) and view any information there may be. The file seems to be a stripped down version of a 3D code with coordinates. I have also searched the sourceforge forums and documentation, finding nothing.
This format maybe easier for us to use than 3DMax .ase version. It may be worth investigating.
Last edited by Road Kill on Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seeker
Round Winner

Post by Seeker »

I saw that too rk.... Icant figure that out. I will install 3ds tonight and play with it.
Road Kill
Core Dumper

Post by Road Kill »

54, Here is something you may want to read about the .b3d format, or actually its 3D program, by Brillant. Is this the program that creates the b3d file?

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

yes i heard about that some time ago rk - but it has absolutely nothing to do with b3d (blender3d) - i forget what blender name their files

i suspect the original bike model is created by hand, but i don't know
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

I use the blender icon for an armagetron icon in KDE. It looks neat.

In KDE, there is no armagetron icon (afaik).
Road Kill
Core Dumper

Post by Road Kill »

Ya, I did search on b3d and found that, thought there may be concern.

Attn: Moderator / cleaning crew, you can delete this and my last post useless information.
Seeker
Round Winner

Post by Seeker »

WOW......3ds max6 is tough to get the hang of!!!!! From what i can tell, i cant import the models directly to 3ds from tron. i will need to find a GOOD converter or use existing models and just export the *.ase files to use.

AND......Im not dead, just really busey at work now, ill pop in now and then to say hi and give a progress report.

PS.....I am playing with using a tank model in a movie pack :D
Road Kill
Core Dumper

Post by Road Kill »

Max ASE import converters-

Select the proper version from these links, unzip and place in proper Max folder.
Example: C:\Program Files\3dsmax4\stdplugs
If yours is in a different folder, look for other max filters with the .dli extension. The .ASE file option should appear in the file type dropdown box via the file/import menu.

http://zegzav.free.fr/nfsu/asciiimp_max2.zip
http://zegzav.free.fr/nfsu/asciiimp_max3.zip
http://zegzav.free.fr/nfsu/asciiimp_max4&5.zip
http://zegzav.free.fr/nfsu/asciiimp_max6.zip
LadyX
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by LadyX »

Thx a lot for these plugz. I tested it. That's cool. I will send u as soon as possible a new moviepack with original 3d model.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

wow that's nice :D

maybe we should construct some sort of "themes/mods" folder where one could download? might not be practical... anyway iceman's pages have several moviepacks for download (but at least posting announcements about them on this forum would be nice - the place for such would be the folder "Armagetron Devel" i guess)
LadyX
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by LadyX »

On process. It works ingame. Just need to create textures, and thats ok.
What do u think about?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

hotness. glad we got some grade A people working on some graphics upgrades for armagetron :).
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

BEAUTIFUL! Viva la Françe (omg! did i say that? :o) :mrgreen:

very nice model - how many polygons is it?