3D models- how, where and what

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
CharlieH
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by CharlieH »

the name of the format blender uses slips my mind as well but i know that it is very simple and straightforward.

i could probably have aa support blender models as well. how should i go about doing that?

Code: Select all

if (fopen ("cycle.ASE", "r") != NULL) {
    use_ase ();
}
else if (fopen ("cycle.b3d", "r") != NULL) {
    use_b3d ();
}
else {
    die_fast ();
}
would that be the best way to go about doing it? what do you think?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

CharlieH, if you can get AA to support blender models, you will be my new best friend. ;)
CharlieH
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by CharlieH »

heh, just waiting on cvs write access, and i'll start to really make some improvements
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

wow that would be a great thing CharlieH! *signs up on fanlist*
Seeker
Round Winner

Post by Seeker »

Well since this post has been resurected, i guess i should tell you all that i have lost all of my work on the graphics due to a catastrophic computer failure (re....FIRE, burning, smelly, fire). When i finally get some money together and build a new system, ill start working again.

for now i am strapped with an old laptop that has NO processing power what so ever. it took 3 hours to render a simple scene of a sphere over water in bryce5 at 1024x768 res, so i wont bother with 3dsMAX 6 on that POS. (but it plays arma fair, 45fps @ 800x600 with the original moviepack :D )
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

pretty sure the shading on the original models(non-moviepack) is done using the alpha channel of the .png

i could be way off tho.. only done a little experimenting with that

anyone here familar with the modling program zmodelor? its free & exports to .mod (i havent tested it yet to see if compatible)

that XLR-8 model looks TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!
great job Lady-X! when can armagedtron users get thier grubby meat hooks on it?

and um.. how did you get those environment reflections to show up on your bike in tron?

--------------------------------
heres a little something i brought into the game tonight, cant figgure out where the weird shading is coming from.. (the alpha channel is completly white) maybe its geting shadow from the bike floor-shadow in the moviepack (it seems like)

^attatchment added
Attachments
timmy tron!
timmy tron!
Misery
Round Winner

Blender

Post by Misery »

To all those concerned... Blender models are saving in the .blend format. :D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, doesn't look like we'll have autocad format support ever. Turns out the DWG format isn't just proprietary, but the only libraries available for reading it that are "free" aren't Free.

We'd only be interested in the 3d data, so if you counter with "dxf is Free and Qcad uses it" you'll need to show us where the 3d objects are stored in it. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden