FPS loss on windows

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Disco

FPS loss on windows

Post by Disco »

My computer is dual booted with Ubuntu and Windows 7. With the same version of tron and same settings my fps is around 300 on linux but windows 7 it's about 17.. If my graphics card is made for windows then shouldn't it be better on windows? Anyway I could match fps on windows?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: FPS loss on windows

Post by epsy »

Try going fullscreen on windows. A lot of stuff turns itself off to leave room for fullscreen apps on Windows. It certainly doesn't justify such a drop however...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It could also be software rendering. Do the walls have textures or are they just bland color? If so, go to your graphics card manufacturer and get a proper graphics driver supporting OpenGL, some stock drivers that come with Windows installations don't have that.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Z-Man wrote:It could also be software rendering. Do the walls have textures or are they just bland color? If so, go to your graphics card manufacturer and get a proper graphics driver supporting OpenGL, some stock drivers that come with Windows installations don't have that.
I updated my driver for my Gforce 8400 GS with the newest driver I could find :S It brought me up to 60. :P

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_x64_185.81_beta.html <-- the driver i installed

I set all textures to off, so everything is just colors including the wall
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Disco wrote:It brought me up to 60. :P
That would be the maximum refresh rate your monitor can put out and going any higher is a bit silly. You can turn the textures back on if you like :) If you do like higher FPS still for some reason, disable VSync in the driver's control panel.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Z-Man wrote:
Disco wrote:It brought me up to 60. :P
That would be the maximum refresh rate your monitor can put out and going any higher is a bit silly. You can turn the textures back on if you like :) If you do like higher FPS still for some reason, disable VSync in the driver's control panel.
Yeah people say this, but there is definately a perceivable difference between ~60ish fps and 100+
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, at 500 FPS my grid clearly looks warped, comparable to the things CMOS sensors do.

You can counter most of the "vsync lag" by setting swap mode to finish. See if that works for you. It might be more pleasant than the noise your cooling fan makes when you increase your electricity bill drawing pixels you don't see. Not that I don't feel that final bit of snappiness; just putting it in perspective.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Disco

Post by Disco »

i set it to finish, literally no improvement. I set the Vsync to "Force Off", again no improvement
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Could be the NVidia control panel has separate settings for OpenGL and DirectX, you'd need the OpenGL setting. Also, our experimental versions have a VSync setting in the Screen Mode menu, though 'force off' should override that.