Server Name in Application Title

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Server Name in Application Title

Post by INW »

When tron is running, the top of the tron window will read the application name correct? (Tron Icon Armagetron Advanced).

I think it would be really nice if after Armagetron Advanced, it displayed the server's name you are currently in. So if you are in MB53's Mega Fortress, it would display:

Tron Icon Armagetron Advanced - MB53's Mega Fortress.

Sometimes I just go into servers and forget which one I am in.

Could this be implemented?
vov
Match Winner

Re: Server Name in Application Title

Post by vov »

I've seen window titles change during runtime, some internet browsers do that. It should be possible (however i don't know if it's easy to implement) and should be useful (remember you on tst being referee for 4 or 5 matches or something :p)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I sometimes wish for this myself when I have six windows open at the same time... yeah, it should be possible. The only problem is that right now, the client doesn't know the server name reliably in all situations, only if you connect over the server browser. Bookmarked server names may be outdated (of course, you may see that as a feature), and nothing is known if you custom connect.
INW

Post by INW »

I talked to epsy and he said he will take a look at it. I wish I knew how to do this stuff or which code to learn so I can create my own clients and mess around with this.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Status changed in armagetronad: New -> In progress

As for custom connect/--connect, I don't think it's worth th it to wait for a ping back from the server with its name before attempting to connect. (Although I'm pretty sure Steam does that even from their server browsers.)

Newer servers could however sync their name to all clients. That would be an easy change, SERVER_NAME would just have to be marked as "Sync this to clients". That will however cause a warning on clients that don't support it. Would you want that?
INW

Post by INW »

Could clients that don't support it just ignore it?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

They will, but they will also emit a warning.