Grid Coloring

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
7Priest7
On Lightcycle Grid

Grid Coloring

Post by 7Priest7 »

I think it would be cool(obviously not true to the original tron movie but still cool),
If the grid could be colored using something like
<GColor rgb="rrggbb">
<Point x="X" y="Y" />
<Point x="X" y="Y" />
</GColor>

Obviously the above would be on the map xml...

Any number of designs and symbols/letters/numbers could be displayed to the user in game via this method...

If this could be added it would be great...
If not this is still the Best Open Source Multi-Player game I've played... (for single player game Battle for Wesnoth takes that trophy)

Thanks in advance for any consideration for this game addition...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Grid Coloring

Post by sinewav »

Related:

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to "fill in" a zone area. Rather than having color extend perpendicular to the grid, maybe the entire area of the zone can be filled, like an overlay on the floor? Might be kind of neat looking, and sounds like an easy hack (though I know nothing about the code). :stubble:
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

sinewav wrote:Related:

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to "fill in" a zone area. Rather than having color extend perpendicular to the grid, maybe the entire area of the zone can be filled, like an overlay on the floor? Might be kind of neat looking, and sounds like an easy hack (though I know nothing about the code). :stubble:
But how would you know if the zone is be conquered? Maybe it starts changing colors?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

INW wrote:But how would you know if the zone is be conquered? Maybe it starts changing colors?
Well, I was thinking the floor color would be in addition to the normal scheme. But even without, you should still be able to see the edges of the zone spin, especially if you play with fewer ZONE_SEGMENTS than normal. You know there a lot of people out there who use very, very low ZONE_HEIGHT settings and the feel would be similar.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

7Priest7, are you talking about something server-side or client-side? The latter is already possible, of course. I wouldn't support the former, myself.

EDIT: Corrected a period with a question mark.
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Map side. So basically, server side, but clients can in theory edit the map if they're unhappy with the decoration, even if we would not support an 'ignore fancy decoration not relevant to gameplay' option. The clientside decorations you are talking about would be on a huge floor texture, right? While that works, it's rather horrible and doesn't even support changing arena sizes.

And yeah, interesting suggestions. It's clear that if we expand on the control server admins have over the default look on clients, we'd add stuff like it.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

sinewav wrote:Related

Yes! That's definitely something I'd use by default in sumo (maybe not in fortress. dunno yet). Long as there are proper _alpha settings (but I guess that's understood) and as many shape options as possible.
17na
Average Program
Location: Fcon server. you are a true tron fan if you get the reference.

Post by 17na »

Im not very familiar with this games prefabs but maybe if someone started working with those vector line like particles(the particle effect for when your grinding by a wall or explosions)alot could be done as far as more interesting visuals please consider.