Backwards, reversed floor.png

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Backwards, reversed floor.png

Post by Phytotron »

Funny I never noticed this until now, but just checked and this goes back at least as far as 0.2.5.2. So, my assumption is it's known and "expected behaviour" that...
floor.png
floor.png (6.86 KiB) Viewed 8667 times
...becomes...
screenshot_19.png
My question is, why?

For simple modularity purposes (e.g., repurposing a rim_wall to use as a floor—without having to go into an image editor), might it be a good idea to right that? Or is there some rendering code obstacle to doing so?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: Backwards, reversed floor.png

Post by Jonathan »

I guess it was an unintended effect. The y axis naturally goes down in the PNG file, but up in Arma's coordinate system. Now that's no problem at all, but if you didn't think about it as the programmer and the standard floor works fine, that's what you get. :)

Edit 2: checked a few things, so far aligning perfectly with the above.

I'd vote to keep it this way for now, for compatibility.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

[bad joke] turn off FLOOR_MIRROR? [/bad joke]

It's pretty simple to just flip the image in the image editing software (if it works in MS Paint it has to work in the fancier ones too right?)

I kind of think the behaviour is charming, and I'd vote to keep it for that reason :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's completely unintended and has no special reason to be that way.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Obviously it's an easy fix in an image editor; that goes without saying (which is why I didn't say it). But there are people who don't know how to do that kind of thing. And even for those who do, it's kind of an unnecessary, obnoxious (i.e., not charming) step to have to take if all one wants to do is swap a floor for a rim wall, or vice versa. Likewise for someone making the textures in the first place. Big deal and major inconvenience? No. Nice if it weren't an issue? Yes.

(By the way, just checked and the sky doesn't get flipped.)
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Most obvious safe changing point would be when we have moviepacks as a resource. Till then, changing it for everyone seems risky.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Risky?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

*For instance*, this would become wrong along with the various fortress moviepacks(even though you don't especially care about these :)).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Ah, odd use of "risky."

Of course, I thought of that—that there are already some moviepacks in existence that have floors where direction matters. In fact, when I first noticed it was backwards, I thought about that one fortress moviepack with the break lines drawn on it. But there aren't that many, are there?

But my thought was that the game itself is primary over 3rd-party moviepacks (including my own), and were the floor.png direction fixed, a notice should go out to texture-makers. I would think a sticky under the "Graphical" section would be appropriate.
FFIIXXIITT
Match Winner

Post by FFIIXXIITT »

Last edited by FFIIXXIITT on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Haven't you read properly? Fixing this would break existing data. You don't do that just any time. You do it when you have collected several reasons to break existing data, then you do it all at once. It's not a question of ability. All that's needed is to switch some texture coordinates around.

Edit, also could you please edit your signature so it doesn't break the forum layout in horrible ways unless you're on a 4K monitor?