Combined views/multiple cameras

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Combined views/multiple cameras

Post by Luke-Jr »

I don't do graphics stuff, so I have no idea how easy/complex this would be...
Attachments
mockup01.jpg
mockup02.jpg
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

you guys with your fast pcs grrrrrrr :lol:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Except for the transparent "minimap", everything here would be easy on the rendering side. But it would be hell to design the UI that allows you to select what is displayed in which viewport :(

A bit of this is already possible: Just select "Three players, version b" as viewport layout and give viewport 1 and 2 to spectators with the default camera settings you want. Voila!
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

iceman wrote:you guys with your fast pcs grrrrrrr :lol:
Check the fps... it's not overly fast ;)
I just do screenshots/mockups/etc in higher resolutions.. I only play at 800x600
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:Except for the transparent "minimap", everything here would be easy on the rendering side. But it would be hell to design the UI that allows you to select what is displayed in which viewport :(
<view>
__<camera mode="smart" x="0" y="0" width="100%" height="100%" />
__<camera mode="map" x="90%" y="80%" width="10%" height="10%" /> <!-- leave bottom 10% for HUD -->
</view>
z-man wrote:A bit of this is already possible: Just select "Three players, version b" as viewport layout and give viewport 1 and 2 to spectators with the default camera settings you want. Voila!
That won't overlay the side-mirrors on top of the main camera.
Another design idea I just thought of would be a fullscreen internal with overlayed left/right mirrors and a 'behind-you' mirror in the center. Like a car, in a way. ;)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's not exactly a UI you're proposing :) Remember that a lot of people have notepadophobia.

I have not seen that the alternative views were internal views. Too lazy to click on them for enlargement :) That makes things a bit more complicated.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:That's not exactly a UI you're proposing :) Remember that a lot of people have notepadophobia.
Well, most players aren't likely to care to write their own views anyway. They're more likely to download one just like a moviepack
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

True. Next problem: How would this interact with the regular multiplayer splitscreen mode? Will even smaller views be spawned? How will the layout of the views with non-standard aspect ratio be handled, then?
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:True. Next problem: How would this interact with the regular multiplayer splitscreen mode? Will even smaller views be spawned? How will the layout of the views with non-standard aspect ratio be handled, then?
Well, I was specifying width/height in percentages which should be reasonable for most aspect rations.
As for multiplayer, I can't handle the smaller windows anyway unless they're on a very large screen... All the ideas I proposed have a "main camera" which is fullscreen with stuff on top of it, so it shouldn't be any *worse*.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

I think it takes away the dying when you're glancing :P I think you are supposed not to know where your enemies are, and else you will have to glance... it takes a certain risk with it to glance so it's not always wise to check your enemies and this takes the whole effect away...

Of course, that's just how I see it...
voodoo
Core Dumper

Post by voodoo »

I just pick one of the topic with similar idea ... What about introducing this as a widget in the cockpit ?
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Hmm, interesting idea, I'll look into it, though it will probably mean that I have to mess with the camera code and that doesn't sound too great.
There's no place like ::1