World design tutorial

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Where's the document that tells me how to put a map on my server? ;)

*shamefully shows he didn't even look*

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

It's here:
MAP_URI uri
MAP_FILE path_in_resource_directory_on_client_where_it_will_be_cached
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

And the official docu from the source, config.html, should tell you how MAP_FILE is supposed to look. If not, it's a docu bug. For details, there is always Philippe's howto (linked from config.html) and you can also read Luke-Jr's mind :)
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Lucifer wrote:Where's the document that tells me how to put a map on my server? ;)

*shamefully shows he didn't even look*
Hummmm, haaaaaaaa, yaaaaa, THAT detail!

Ok, here is the bit. Please consider taht I've never actually installed aa. I always run from the compile point, so locations might be off a bit. (that's my shame)

Upon install, I guess that there should be a "resource" directory in the "var" directory installed. You might have to look a bit for it. (This part should be documented for all plattform. I'd be gratefull to get info where it is on Mac and Windows)

Create a sub-directory to the resource one. In your case, I will assume that Your-mom has given the map to the BreakfastInHell server, so this is what you should use for the directory name. Extract the map from the archive, and place it in the directory. In this case, the file name is "inverted cross-0.6.0.xml"

In your config/settings.cfg, locate the MAP_FILE item, and set it to the desired map. To point to a file, you only need to describe the part AFTER the resource/ component. This mean that your entry would look like this:

Code: Select all

MAP_FILE BreakfastInHell/inverted cross-0.6.0.xml

Now so that other players can access the file, it need to be published online in an uncompressed format. The prefered way is to use the resource server. At the moment, to put a resource on the server, you need to mail it to Luke-Jr. (*Can someone tell me the special email address again*, in the meanwhile, pm him on the forum).

Alternatively, but less desirable, submit the map on any web space on Internet, in an uncompressed format. Should you decide to use the forum, there are restriction on files ending with .xml. Simply publish the file in a fashion like "Filename.xml.isNotReallyA.zip". Only the name and location specified in MAP_FILE is used to save the file on the disc, irrevelantly of how the file is named online.

Now, you need to inform the players reaching your server where to get the file. If the file is available on the resource server, make sure the MAP_URI is defined without any text in the config file. ie:

MAP_URI    
The directory and filename used in the MAP_FILE entry will be used. (*I need to verify this fact*)

If you published the file on a different web space, you need to give the full location of the file. Now, giving the COMPRESSED version of the file as an example, it would be

MAP_URI http://guru3.sytes.net/download.php?id=1426
Please note that this refers to a COMPRESSED version, and shouldn't be used.

Note that there are a few examples of MAP_FILE and MAP_URI in the configuration file. You comment out the undesired items by placing a "#" in front of the line.

both parameters are updatable during play at the console (default key to activate the console is ^). You type the same details as you would in the config file:

MAP_URI http://guru3.sytes.net/download.php?id=1426
MAP_FILE BreakfastInHell/inverted cross-0.6.0.xml
This is where relying on the resource repository really pays off, as you do not need to update the MAP_URI part, as long as its first defined as empty.

Nota: I know that Luke-Jr has worked on a way to incorporate both items on the same line. IIRC, the format is somethign like: after the file name, insert a semi-colom delimited list of location to try to d/l the resource. This list is itself contained in parenthesis. I GUESS that to specify the resource repo, an "empty entry" is used. So if you want to say "try to get this file from the resource repository, and if you dont find it there, get it from the forum", I think the syntax would be:

MAP_URI BreakfastInHell/inverted cross-0.6.0.xml(;http://guru3.sytes.net/download.php?id=1426)
Note that the first entry in the parenthesis is "empty", as the ";" is the first character.

-ph

- Sorry for the "slap in 15 minutes" tutorial, i'll rewrite it! Dont hesitate to ask if you didnt understand
- A tutorial/howto is needed for all that relate to resources. This is a part of it, the appendix about naming convention in the map tutorial would also go there. I guess that makes me the automatic volontary.
- Lucifer, I know you didn't need half the details in here, but I've tried to generalise for other readers. ;)
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Should be able to upload plain XML now.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

philippeqc wrote:Upon install, I guess that there should be a "resource" directory in the "var" directory installed. You might have to look a bit for it. (This part should be documented for all plattform. I'd be gratefull to get info where it is on Mac and Windows)
~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron Advanced/resource/
Armagetron.app/Contents/Resources/resource/included/
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Jonathan wrote:
philippeqc wrote:Upon install, I guess that there should be a "resource" directory in the "var" directory installed. You might have to look a bit for it. (This part should be documented for all plattform. I'd be gratefull to get info where it is on Mac and Windows)
~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron Advanced/resource/
Armagetron.app/Contents/Resources/resource/included/
Armagetron Advanced.app for the second one, I just haven't commited the changes yet.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

thank you, got it.

- Iron Maiden
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Also note that you can email maps to [email protected] and clear (empty or '0') MAP_URI. Be sure to mention the preferred filepath.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Luke-Jr wrote:Also note that you can email maps to [email protected] and clear (empty or '0') MAP_URI. Be sure to mention the preferred filepath.
Wasn't there and email in the aa.net domain for the same purpose too?Or maybe I dreamed that one up.

Thanks for the other details, I've noted them down to be detailed next time I work on the howto's.
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

philippeqc wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote:Also note that you can email maps to [email protected] and clear (empty or '0') MAP_URI. Be sure to mention the preferred filepath.
Wasn't there and email in the aa.net domain for the same purpose too?Or maybe I dreamed that one up.

Thanks for the other details, I've noted them down to be detailed next time I work on the howto's.
Yes there is an armagetronad.net domain. And I'm still waiting for the site design to come thru.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Tank Program wrote:Yes there is an armagetronad.net domain. And I'm still waiting for the site design to come thru.
From whom? A true website would really benefit 0.2.8.0.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:
Tank Program wrote:Yes there is an armagetronad.net domain. And I'm still waiting for the site design to come thru.
From whom? A true website would really benefit 0.2.8.0.
I've asked Lackadaisical to do a design that matches the forums.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

This might be a dumb question, but where's the origin? Are we using Cartesian coordinates here?

- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Lucifer wrote:This might be a dumb question, but where's the origin?
At (0, 0), of course. Why would it matter for anything other than floating point?
Lucifer wrote:Are we using Cartesian coordinates here?
Yep.

???
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn