World design tutorial

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

The tutorial on wiki should be sufficient for anyone wanting to write maps for 0.2.8_beta3. Check it often (or the change page if you want), as much of it will be improved.

Nota: experimental stuff isn't part of 0.2.8_beta3.

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... ps_by_Hand

edit: updated the url. My browser seems to like to complete "wiki*" with your site ;)
Last edited by philippeqc on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

MInor change, philippe. :) wiki.davefancella.com is considered "deprecated" already. :) You should link to wiki.armagetronad.net. I might remove wiki.davefancella.com from my vhosts file at any time without warning, and all the links to it will be broken.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

As suggested by nemo here http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 5295#35295, and overview of the changes between map-0.1.dtd and map-0.2.8_beta3.dtd

Second line: The first element is no longer World but Resource. Also dont forget to update the dtd file name. Its now "map-0.2.8_beta3.dtd"
Third line:
<Resource name="" author="" category="" type="aamap" version="" concept="">

the 4 first are at least used to determine the location of the file:
<Author>/[Category/]<ResourceName>-<VersionNumber>.<ResourceType>.<Extension>

The fifth "concept" needs a better name. The idea came on "The Crack Pipe", where lucifer display something like "This map was invented by Jack and written by Jill". The wiki has a bit more detail about the idea I'm trying to capture under this field, even if I realise that it is referenced as the "commisionner" there. I'll give a big wet slurpy kiss (tongue optional) to whomever find a better name for this parameter. In the meantime, dont use it. Its optional anyway.

Fourth and fifth: Map comes first, then World. Old format was inverted. World doesnt have parameters, Map has version="0.2.8".
In the Field. Axes if present must be first. After that, Spawn, Wall and Zone can be mix-matched at will.
Wall has an attribute height, optional. Use like it was under ObstacleWall.

-ph

edit: fixed the link at the beginnig of the message
Canis meus id comedit.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Improved the tutorial in the wiki. I think everything is now covered.

Added many examples, changed a bit of text, there is even a featurette that has been mentionned on the rebound that need to be implemented if it is accepted (Field's logicalBox).

To Tard's greatest deception, there aren't any new picture. Don't blame it on my laziness, but rather on some exterior and totally artificial factor, such as Nemo's map previewer not displaying Zones or Axes. ;)

As always, your comments are welcomed. If I've ignored a previous request, feel free to question my parentage and to refresh my memory about the ommission. ;)

-ph

Edit: Jonathan is not the writer of the map previewer ;)
Last edited by philippeqc on Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canis meus id comedit.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

philippeqc wrote:Jonathan's map previewer
It's nemo's! We have messed with our names to an extent where someone believed both of us were nemo's "nice bots", but we're not the same person. ;)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The map previewer will display zones.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden