core dumps,,,,,n,,,,,,shrapnel

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
radian
Core Dumper

core dumps,,,,,n,,,,,,shrapnel

Post by radian »

bout two years ago there was some talk of bits flying of the cycles at core dumps,,,,well,,,,although i know nothing of code ,, or how this could be achieved,,i would like to throw this one into the pot,,, .with explosions turned on there seems to be a radiated series of lines that seem to move upwards,,,well what if two of those lines had a ring ,, or a solid ball on top,,,would we not make the connection that they were infact the wheels of the bike flying off,,,,and if they arked downwards a bit even better but i think thats prob asking a bit too much,,,,,how about it,,,is it possible,,,, any thoughts folks !!,,, Rad
i just love it
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Aren't there bits of the cycle flying like that in the movie?
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Or in GLTron? :D
There's no place like ::1
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I'm sure it'd be technically possible for us to have... something... fly...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

If someone finishes integrating the particle api, we can have that. Configurable explosions via moviepacks provides many of the use cases for the particle api. :)

It's in svn, and you can enable it with a configure option...

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
radian
Core Dumper

Post by radian »

yea its in the movie and in gl tron,,,,so wouldent it be great if AA had it too,,,,im,e sure if the peices were simple enough it wouldent cause too many issues or lag probs in a live situation,,,or am i talking tosh,,,,heh,,,,,, i hope this topic helps to get some head cogs turning,,,and i wish i could come up with some ideas,,but my knowlege of how its done is microscopic,,lol,,,,might aswell ask a politician to tell the god damn truth,,,heh,,,, 8) Rad
i just love it
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's not hard at all. Just need a model loader to load the specific models you want, I was just going to define them in the moviepack xml resource file for simple objects, for more complex (i.e. edd wants to make a series of model pieces to match his movie cycle) I wanted to support other formats. The particle api that's in the trunk supports passing shapes of particles to the api. Then I wanted something that would actually slice the cycle into pieces, that would be a little more complicated but still not hard.

The only hard part, imo, is getting the particle api working. Right now, if you turn it on, you only get a big fountain of sparks. It looks really neat, but it's nothing at all like an explosion. There are screenshots on the forums kicking around from my last experiment with it, and the code is clearly marked in certain #ifndefs, so anybody with some C++ experience could do it, some knowledge of vector calculus would help a lot. I expect to make much more progress next time I beat on it precisely because I"ve learned a lot more calculus since last time. :)

- Iron Maiden
andi75
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by andi75 »

GLtron doesn't actually have real solid pieces flying around. It's just the bikes triangles that are suddenly projected outwards (approx. into the triangle's normal direction, but since that looks shitty, it's slightly adjusted in a somewhat random way).
jessethemidget
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by jessethemidget »

ok, what I'd like to see:

bike peices (maybe it's tris + slight extrude ea?, random groups + extrude?) flying (maybe kinda hard... don't know)

particles that could be configured/show a billboard image (image always facing camera) <-this one is easy (i think) and could make EXTREMELY good explosions, many fps like starwars-battlefront use this way.

it consists of two-three particle systems:
1)flare: basic curving up movement of particles that fade out and have glowy flame/clouds texture
2)smoke1: basic upward system with big particles with mostly-transparent particles w/ smoke/clouds texture
3) optional: smoke2: smaller smoke one with more effects

this, plus pieces of the cycle (burning? that'd be cool, and easy. just add a small trail, not even particles...) would be really cool.

oh, and what about pasting a black-explosion mark on the floor? (just paste another texture.

maybe I'll make up some little examples of what I mean and post... I don't know much c++ but I'll show how to do it in python, c++ will be the same except differant functions.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

That is the worst sig ever.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
jessethemidget
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by jessethemidget »

yah, just practicing...

anyway, here's a mockup of kinda what I mean:

http://addertooth.net/aatools/0001_0025.avi

(fonkay: its substance that counts, not surface... community contributions mean more than sigs... )
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

You know what means something to me? Being able to read a topic without having to scroll left and right.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 461#166461

What I'd like, personally, is to do the praxis effect. I want to run a vertical, and vertically-growing column that cycles from hot to cold colors and disappears. Then I want a shockwave limited to the floor that expands. Then, I'd like the cycle itself to come apart and throw pieces everywhere using a pretty accurate physical simulation (i.e. the center of mass moves like it should be and the explosion keeps its center of mass). Finally, I want a little man to flop out, roll around on the grid, and disappear.

Everything except the little man is within reach with the particle system api. :)

To make matters worse, I want to have pretty configurable explosions anyway so that moviepack makers can customize the explosions with their packs.

- Iron Maiden
jessethemidget
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by jessethemidget »

eh? you linked to your own post... does that have something to do with the effect you want to achieve?

also: fonkay: the banner was 800 pix wide, so even a 1024X760 window resolution would display it without having to scroll... I think you need a new monitor if your stuck at 800x600

edit: lucifer: yay! can I help? (oh, and about the little guy, that can be done easily by having a ragdoll-type group of like 6 objects, either pre-rendered or some fairly simple physics (just mass>speed>force plus really simple collision detection (all it has to collide with is floor and walls which only really have two dimentions, just don't let him get location z < floor etc...)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Haha, tht wasn't the post I was trying to link to. In fact, I was trying to link offsite, sorry about that.

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~davemc/Particle/

This is in svn right now, but needs to be updated to the newest version. If you build with a certain configure option (I forget which), and it has to be the trunk, you can see what's there right now.

Edit: I know several people who run at 800x600 because they're visually impaired, but have no problems playing this game.

- Iron Maiden