Armagetron 0.2.6.0 crashes on net connect

For the help you need with the old versions, 0.2.6.1 and down.
Fritz

Armagetron 0.2.6.0 crashes on net connect

Post by Fritz »

This was working one day, and stopped working the next, I don't know what happened. Now, if I go to network game, and select either LAN or Internet game, it immediately crashes. It returns this line to the console.

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

I have tried completely reinstalling armegatron, libSDL, and libSDL-net. Nothing has changed. I have no idea what to try next.

I appreciate any suggestions.

-> Fritz
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Try shutting of iptables. (I assume you are on linux.) Either that or some other type of firewall is causing this...
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

I've read something like this don't know where :?

The solution was adding localhost.localdomain to /etc/hosts (if you have another name add also localhost.localdomain in that file with 127.0.0.1)

Arg! Damn SDL Parachute Errors!!!
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

All I always had to do was just shut off iptables and it would work... Hrmmm...
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

klax wrote:The solution was adding localhost.localdomain to /etc/hosts
I just checked this and on the TN server it has this line but it still's not happy connecting to the master server unless iptables is stopped...
Fritz

THANK YOU!!!

Post by Fritz »

Thank you, now I can go back to being an addict.

I had created a new hostname the other day while setting up a SAMBA server. I just hadn't made the connection. I do run through a firewall, but it worked before through the firewall, so that wasn't the problem. But adding the new line to my hosts file

127.0.0.1 Tron

that fixed it.

Thanks,
-> Fritz
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

well that's interesting. that command there looks like you are blocking (by sending to your own machine) a line called "tron", but how that helps you play the game is totally beyond me.

i use a custom HOSTS file myself, but but everything in there (hundreds of entries) is getting blocked like that example, not redirected.

anyone clear up this mystery?
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

nicolas.b: I've read somewhere (argg my memory) that it is an old bug related to the quake engine. Remember (or if you don't know) that armagetron net code is based on quake 1 code with some things borrowed from quake 2.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

wow, i didn't know that, thanks klax. anyway, this is what i know about the HOSTS file- 127.0.0.1 is equivalent to localhost so any line you wish to block an address looks like this:

127.0.0.1 {blocked site}

and any site that has trouble negotiating the transfer or whose DNS might not be spawned yet (for example a newly-creted site) you can sometimes enable by using the following: (example)

66.98.146.68 vpforums.com

that's all i actuallly know about the HOSTS file. how the thing could work by blocking something called "tron" seems like magic to me. in fact, i bet that if he commented out that line he would still be fixed because the fix came from something else he did. but i'd like to hear if i'm wrong or not- feel like trying that, fritz?
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Here is the extracted original beginning of Fedora Core 2 /etc/hosts:

Code: Select all

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1   locahost.localdomain   locahost
Of course you can change your name of locahost and localhost, but it clearly warns you about potential problems with network apps ;)
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

okay, but there's obviously more to this issue than we've come up with so far...
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

I just realized how confusing that line is if I don't mention that my hostname is "tron".

now this should make sense.

127.0.0.1 tron

-> Fritz
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

LOL :D