Application and default config files

For the help you need with the old versions, 0.2.6.1 and down.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Application and default config files

Post by Phytotron »

Thanks, fellas (although I don't quite know what I'm looking at with that SVN link).

Well, as I mentioned up in the first post, I do have a 0.2.6.0 client for Mac.

I understand the security issues. It's more about seeing the default configs and getting a reminder of the "feel" and behaviour, as alluded to above. (More to come vis a vis Armagoshdarn.)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Thank you for the svn link. Now I can build a binary from the .2.6.1 source for Phytotron to test out the Armagoshdarn config, so we can figure out how to do it in .2.8.3.1. As to the security issues, I will be testing it on a vps that has nothing else on it. I certainly understand that this has pretty major security issues.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, now that's out in the open (I initially didn't want to mention it explicitly, because of security), I'll point out that this is not going to be a permanent server in 2.6—just something that I'll put up only while I'm in there getting a reminder of its behaviour and feel online, using the 2.6 client as well, in order to try and mimic it as near as possible in 2.8.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron: I just gave you access on AoT's .2.6 imitation server if you want to play around. Those settings are interesting. It's similar in ways to both Shrunk and Bebop, but totally different too. Weird.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

I've sat in there a few times; no one has joined me. :(

Heh, well, with respect to that particular server, turns out the only default setting of those that were around in 0.2.6 that differs from 0.2.8 is basic CYCLE_SPEED (which I still think should be put back to 10 for future releases). So, basically, you're still running the 0.2.8 (or 0.3, as it were) default config, just with CYCLE_SPEED 10. So, obviously, concerning rubber behaviour and stuff, it's also as 0.2.8; it's not necessarily imitating 0.2.6's "feel and behaviour" (well, not any more than 0.2.8 does already).

Still, worth having up, methinks, just might want to re-title it? That is, unless and until you want to tweak it to give it more a 2.6-like feel? I actually can't even recall how far off 2.8 is from 2.6—by the time I started playing there were only a few 2.6 straggler-servers remaining, anyway, and I know even older players' memories are fuzzy by now as well. That was a long time ago. And, of course, local behaves differently from online, so just playing on my client isn't wholly sufficient. Hence, the temporary bringing up of a 2.6 Armagoshdarn for reminders.

Oh, you could make the server custom cam the same as the default 0.2.6 custom cam:
CAMERA_SERVER_CUSTOM_BACK 20 # how much the camera is moved back
CAMERA_SERVER_CUSTOM_RISE 20 # the height of the camera above the cycle
CAMERA_SERVER_CUSTOM_PITCH -1 # inclination of the camera
...or how about 0.2.5.2:
CAMERA_CUSTOM_BACK 20 # how much the camera is moved back
CAMERA_CUSTOM_RISE 50 # the height of the camera above the cycle
CAMERA_CUSTOM_PITCH -4 # inclination of the camera
Hmm, should all the newer settings be set to zero or left alone? I do know _TURN_SPEED should be about 20, and _TURN_SPEED_180 should be 1. Anyway, I'll probably do one of those for 'goshdarn, myself.

It's funny and ironic—I've long opposed infinite walls, brakes, winzones (Zone of Shame!™), and that sort of scoring. Yet, now there aren't really any servers like that—not of the lower speed, normal rubber, normal cycle_delay variety. So, your "Default settings" server is sorta nostalgically fun—at least for now. :wink:

Anyway, we digress. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:it's not necessarily imitating 0.2.6's "feel and behavior"
Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case when I looked at the CFG you sent me. I guess it's up to you and compguygene to work it out. But one thing is for sure, we need more low-rubber LMS/deathmatch servers.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:
Phytotron wrote:it's not necessarily imitating 0.2.6's "feel and behavior"
Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case when I looked at the CFG you sent me. I guess it's up to you and compguygene to work it out. But one thing is for sure, we need more low-rubber LMS/deathmatch servers.
Absolutely!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

pfft...I still use a .2.6 client. Can't see any zones in fortress servers (yes, one can enter them, well some of them anyway) but the biggest challenge is navigating the master server list.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Concord wrote:Can't see any zones in fortress servers
Yeah, but who wants to go into one of those servers, anyway?