Application and default config files

For the help you need with the old versions, 0.2.6.1 and down.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Application and default config files

Post by Phytotron »

Is 0.2.6.0 (and maybe even earlier) available for download somewhere? I still have my own copy of the 2.6 client that I've had for years, but I'm wanting to see the default config settings in particular, and can't recall whether I might've changed mine (yes, I have in the past disregarded the "DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE" warning; no more will I do that). If the app(s) itself isn't available, how about just the config files? Were the config files that came with the client the same as the dedicated server? If not, I'd like to see both, but particularly the latter.

I've looked on Sourceforge, but obviously it's not on the ArmagetronAdvanced files page here, and the only original Armagetron that seems to be available is 0.2.5.2, but it looks to be only a Windows dedicated server build, and says "spam" so maybe it's not even that.

—AND/OR—

Would looking at, say, 0.2.7.0 be sufficient? Were any values changed with respect to physics-type settings like cycle_speed, size_factor, etc. (obviously excluding settings that weren't present in previous versions)? I know, for example, that at least cycle_speed was changed from 10 to 30 with 0.2.8.something, for some reason. And have the values always meant the same thing? For instance, was a size factor of -3 the same in 2.6 as it is now? Speed of 10, wall length of 600, you get my drift?
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Re: Application and default config files

Post by Van-hayes »

I think Armagetron beta page has most, if not all, of the previous versions. It even has Walls from 2000 on there. armagetron beta. It has at least 1 0.2.6 on there for mac from the quick look i took.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

luke-jr's packrat nature ensures that all past releases are available at http://beta.armagetronad.net. The one old file available on sf has been removed now, dunno how it got there. It was 0.2.5.2 with a backported anti-spam patch. All of the old releases have vulnerabilities, that's why they're not prominently featured as 'ooh, look at all our old crap'.

Edit: grr, ninjas.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

OK, great, thanks. I had totally forgotten about that site; my bad. It's bookmarked in one of my previous bookmark files somewhere on my old HD. Eep, LukeJr and I have something in common, after all. Was there not a dedicated server in 2.6 and earlier?

How about this part: And have the values always meant the same thing? For instance, was a size factor of -3 the same in 2.6 as it is now? Speed of 10, wall length of 600, you get my drift?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I think the only difference is that more recent versions apply the SPEED_FACTOR (which is not CYCLE_SPEED) to more things. E.g. a speed factor of -1 also scales the effective cycle delay by sqrt(2) which I don't think it did in the past, instead of just the speed itself. I'm not sure exactly what is affected though.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

SPEED_FACTOR is supposed to affect all time related things. Messing with that should roughly be equivalent to overclocking your computer clock sqrt(2)^(SPEED_FACTOR).

And no, I don't think there have been any relevant changes in the meaning of settings. Well, there have been some changes from braindead to sort of sensible (like removing the way rubber made your approach to walls FPS dependant, the better your PC, the deeper your grind was), but any change there is always a bumpy compatibility problem with old versions and are generally avoided. If you don't touch the settings that are new in later versions, you can rely on any setting that 0.2.6 has to have the same effect today.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Thank you for the explanation of SPEED_FACTOR. I can see where that could be very useful.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

:( No good. The beta page links now just point to the Sourceforge page where anything 0.2.6.0 and below is unavailable.

Funny you chimed in Gene, as part of what sent me on this quest was related to your Armagoshdarn "clone." Did you get your settings from this forum (here or here)? Not a lot to go by, right, and those rely a lot on whatever the default settings were. For example, cycle_speed—those settings only give a speed_factor (and 1.5 isn't possible). I think default cycle_speed in <2.6 was 10, while it's now 30. With speed_factor 1, that makes base speed read as 14.2, according to my speedometer. Also, the size is way huge.

I started playing regularly a little after the original goshdarn went away (I remember Yet Another and Tank's clones, but nothing specific, so long ago), but I've gone in there with others who did play goshdarn a lot (including one cat who hasn't played at all in the intervening time, until the last few weeks) and there's agreement it's not right. I was going to suggest that at some point it might be beneficial to temporarily load up an old 2.6 server with those settings, arrange to have some folks (especially people who remember it, as well as have an understanding of the settings and their effects) play it for a little bit, then go tweak the clone. Just an idear.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote::( No good. The beta page links now just point to the Sourceforge page where anything 0.2.6.0 and below is unavailable.
Oh, right. Anyone in the mood to remove the mirror flag from the relevant entries? Everything 0.2.6.x and earlier would be affected.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote::( No good. The beta page links now just point to the Sourceforge page where anything 0.2.6.0 and below is unavailable.

Funny you chimed in Gene, as part of what sent me on this quest was related to your Armagoshdarn "clone." Did you get your settings from this forum (here or here)? Not a lot to go by, right, and those rely a lot on whatever the default settings were. For example, cycle_speed—those settings only give a speed_factor (and 1.5 isn't possible). I think default cycle_speed in <2.6 was 10, while it's now 30. With speed_factor 1, that makes base speed read as 14.2, according to my speedometer. Also, the size is way huge.

I started playing regularly a little after the original goshdarn went away (I remember Yet Another and Tank's clones, but nothing specific, so long ago), but I've gone in there with others who did play goshdarn a lot (including one cat who hasn't played at all in the intervening time, until the last few weeks) and there's agreement it's not right. I was going to suggest that at some point it might be beneficial to temporarily load up an old 2.6 server with those settings, arrange to have some folks (especially people who remember it, as well as have an understanding of the settings and their effects) play it for a little bit, then go tweak the clone. Just an idear.
I didn't get the settings from the forums, but from F!Infamous, who probably got them from the forums. Once I am caught up with my current projects, in the next few days, hopefully. I will put armagoshdarn, shrunkland, and BIH on a user account with a webcontrol so you can easily modify the settings, and tweak them. I am learning a lot about how the physics in arma work from your posts, and look forward to working together to improve my education.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Sweet.

Yeah, I don't know that Infamous is exactly a credible source, but if they're the same as those I linked to, as far as I know that's all there be. But we'll go over details in another thread once that's all set up.
Infa(mous)
Round Winner

Post by Infa(mous) »

How dare you insult my credibility :evil:
Anyways, I got them from the 2003 forum post, and tweaked them very slightly (i think) with a couple of more modern settings. If you want to look at them, they were a part of my little side project to make somewhat standardized configs open to anyone... You can get them with

Code: Select all

bzr branch lp:tron-config
-Infamous
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Bumpity.

For versions prior to 0.2.7.0, both the client and dedicated server are still unavailable for Mac OSX at the beta site. I would like at least 0.2.6.x, if someone wouldn't mind making those available somewheres. :)

EDIT: Looks like this is true for all platforms, not just Mac. All redirect to the Sourceforge "not available" page.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Mac builds that far back didn't exist, and all builds and the source, bar 0.2.6.1 or so, have security issues. You can still get that one (and the others) from SVN: http://armagetronad.svn.sourceforge.net ... s/0.2.6.1/
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I found these buried in an old folder. The 0.5.2 DMG warns you about opening it, but you can go ahead and ignore that. It still works okay.

http://generalconsumption.org/armagetro ... .2.5.2.dmg
http://generalconsumption.org/armagetro ... .2.6.0.dmg