Video driver/card problem - V. 0.2.6.0 for Windows

For the help you need with the old versions, 0.2.6.1 and down.
Ian Absentia

Video driver/card problem - V. 0.2.6.0 for Windows

Post by Ian Absentia »

So I recently discovered Armegatron while installing a Linux OS on another computer, and I quickly grew to love it. A quick Google search led me to a couple of download sites, and thus far I've downloaded both V. 0.2.5.0 and 0.2.6.0 for my Windows machine.

Here's the problem, though. After installing both versions (one after the other, not simultaneously), when I try opening the application, my desktop starts re-sizing itself, a window titled SPL-app opens up, everything siezes to a halt...and then nothing. On most occasions I get an illegal operation message, and on one occasion, I got a message saying something to the effect of "Well, I've played all my cards, but I can't locate your video (driver? card?). You can try again, but it doesn't look good." It was an oddly personal message, so I assume this was a fairly common problem with some systems while writing the program.

I'm sporting a Voodoo 3 video card with the Voodoolizer 1.05.00 driver, and I'm not experiencing any similar video problems with other applications. Does anoyone have any thoughts on what's going wrong?

!i!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I've had that happen under linux on my laptop. It goes through trying every resolution, but SDL or something fails to initialize the graphics properly... I'm not sure how much can be done about it I'm afraid. I just keep starting it over and over and eventually it launches.
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Unhelpful

Post by GOD »

You probably don't want to read this as much as I hate to write it, but have you tried updating your video drivers? You might be a bit out of luck, as I'm pretty sure voodoo went the way of the dodo, not sure if they still maintain drivers for their products, chances are they don't, but let's be omtemistic, shall we? Good luck. Hope to see you on the grid... and core the hell out of you :D
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Ian Absentia

Re: Unhelpful

Post by Ian Absentia »

GOD wrote:You probably don't want to read this as much as I hate to write it, but have you tried updating your video drivers?
No, no, I don't mind, because you're quite right. The Voodoo video card is no longer supported by it parent company, but third-party support is still pretty vigorous. I've updated the drivers a couple of times in the last two years, so to the best of my knowledge the driver is current.

Hey, now here's another twist to add to the mix, though. The Linux machine that I mentioned in my original post? It's almost a perfect twin for the Windows box I'm currently working on. It, too, has the same Voodoo video card, and an even older version of the driver. However, Armagetron runs like a dream on that machine. All of which leads me to believe that it is specifically a Windows issue in this case.

Oh, and Tank Program -- I've tried your solution of just starting and re-starting the program repeatedly, but to no avail. Just repeated automatic attempts to change the resolution of the desktop.

G'ah. :?

!i!
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

offtopic: wow, nice flag u have. where is your country on the globe? near greece? or near portugal? or am i totally wrong? i like it anyway :)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Ian Absentia

Post by Ian Absentia »

Hunh.

Remember that "twin" computer I mentioned above? The one that I had installed a Linux OS on? Well, a couple of days ago I reinstalled Win98 (for reasons I won't elaborate). I just tried downloading and installing Armagetron on that computer, and it runs like a dream.

Go figure.

So, next I have to suss out this server business so I can start pushing some of you rubes into the wall. :twisted:

Thanks for all the responses!

!i!

(P.S. Sabarai -- I appreciate the compliment on the flag. It's actually a North American secessionist state. Some people are more serious about it than others. :) )