Suggestions about 0.2.7.0

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
mach v

Post by mach v »

klax wrote:mach v: First, welcomed to the forums ;)
gosh, err thankuvurrymuch... :)

This feature is already coded and will be available in next update ;). All the gauges will be updated with the new watched player.
excellent, excellent! yay! etc.
:D
Regarding ping charity, every round it calcules the ping charity which u will be playing next round. I really don't know if there is a config where u can set an upper limit of ping charity (in the config files I mean).^
there is the Ping Charity entry in Network set up - but is that set 100 and fixed [non variable]?
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Good!. A lot of nice ideas are arising!

Faramir: this seems easy to code. I'll add it to my growing queue (I will need more lives to code all the things proposed and things that I want to implement lol). And I think the probability should be for every match: if 1 match consists of 100 rounds, a probability of 2 will give 2 random rounds with different settings.

mach v: But if you see between rounds the chat text area will inform you if the ping charity is changed (something like 'Ping charity changed from 80 to 89). I don't know the working of that setting :?

Right now the priority is to make shaped arenas. This will give you a lot of freedom!. You will be able to describe new arenas: the shape of the arena and the spawnpoints (also with the direction of the bikes) in text files (ie: arena.aar). Of course that shaped arenas will require a new client and server.
mach v

Post by mach v »

klax wrote:Good!. A lot of nice ideas are arising!

mach v: But if you see between rounds the chat text area will inform you if the ping charity is changed (something like 'Ping charity changed from 80 to 89). I don't know the working of that setting :?
it's no biggy for me.

And another thing (well you did ask!) is it possible to have a sky or top down camera position that shows the whole grid - like a flat 2d view? Maybe not focusing on an individual bike, but just the whole grid. Would be nice for when sitting on the slide lines waiting for the respawn.

it's a "nice to have" not essential.
[Xpert]DarkStar
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by [Xpert]DarkStar »

here a bunch of ideas of things i'd like to see
1) full remote admin
2) a small map where you can see the whole grid with all cycles
3) client side cheat protection
4) model selecting menu
5) integrated map editor
6) support for ingame music (mp3, ogg, mod, mid, cd, ....)
7) blocking high pings
8) drop down console instead of the line
9) ability to easily create mods, without programming skills
10) smarter ai code
11) team internal chat
12) netcode with data compression for our friends on dial up
c ya
Thunderbird
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Thunderbird »

ideas i've thought up

1)45 degree turns- don't know how well this would work

2)some type of display that tells how close you are to a wall

3)Display on the HUD telling whos still alive, without having to press tab

[url]mms://streams.sixflags.com/sixflagslaunch[/url]
Note to self, don't play any online game while running Kazaa it pisses people off.

Not that i use Kazaa

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Technically rubber tells you how close you are to a wall... But maybe that's after you're a bit too close already...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Mirrors

Post by Lucifer »

Mirrors. Definitely mirrors. One for each blind spot on the sides and one that goes straight back. And radar, but not necessarily a grid map, just a radar that shows where the bikes are.

But the mirrors gotta have. No ifs ands or buts about that. ;) Yeah, hit "glance this way" buttons all day, but think about it. If you were driving your car and you had to press a button to look behind you, would you consider that acceptable UI?

The only real problem I see with mirrors is already being pointed out with the gauges, people that have them will have an advantage over people that don't have them. THere is a corollary problem with giving up screen real estate for the mirrors, but I think I can make that sacriifice, personally. I was thinking maybe a top frame in single player mode, and then either taking them away for split-screen or just having smaller mirrors.
=*SpectruM*=
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by =*SpectruM*= »

I just press O to look behind me, very easy! :lol:

Wot about a new ring? A large 3d circle instead of a flat 2d board.
OK, it's not tron but it would be so cool!
Going upside down and all around the wall, ever heard of the game called SnoK?
:arrow: http://www.tihlde.org/~torbjorv/snok/
Its meeee!!!
Always remember, less is less, more is more and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

=*SpectruM*=, could you please stop sort of reopening old threads, especially ones which are no longer relavent, as this one is.

(this one is no longer relavent as 0.2.7.0 has already been released.)

locked.