what do I want to see in Armagetron?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
iDiot / sPuNkY
Average Program

what do I want to see in Armagetron?

Post by iDiot / sPuNkY »

"What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas... "

To quote the description of this game:
Armagetron Advanced is a 3D online multiplayer game modeled after the light cycle sequences from the film Tron.
So what do I want to see in further verions?

As much as I appreciate the work on Fortress and CTF or Race to winzone I think it is development into the wrong direction.
Where are the basic ideas of the film anymore?

I want to see "Tank programs" and "eraser bolts" instead of the win/deathzone.

I want to see a rim breakthrough so if you drive into the rim you will imediately explode and perhaps there will be hole in the rim where a zone is behind (guarded by a "tank program"), to "emulate" the scene form the film.

I want to see more real Teamservers again, where people who never met before play together as programs against other programs..
and then perhaps instead of the zone there will be a "tank program " or a "eraser bolt" that will reflect the MCP.
(team blue vs team gold with an emulation of the MCP).
There is a good development into that way with the team messages etc.
Perhaps that could be devolped more.
(a "teamspeak" implemented into the game?)

So what I try to say is that I wish more analogy to the film.

-more geometry->less rubber->less accel->=more strategy-

I hope some of my ideas will take part of the development
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

There's an idea-- we don't need a whole world outside the rim, just let them run around in empty space avoiding a difficult-AI tank ;)
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

What I would like to see is some shaders and lighting implemented. More vector shapes floating out of no where and backlighting. That glowing is essential.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

More zone options. Moving zones, zones manipulating other zones/player settings/world settings. Zones v2?
Wheelies.
Ramps to different levels.
True 3D (or even more psuedeo 3D)maps, let's have different types of "roofs" to put on top of specified area's.

There was a film?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

what about teleport stations where it takes you to another spawn point in another part of the map i think that would be easyer than 3d to incorperate but have similar effects.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, to have tanks that nobody complains about being unrealistic, we need 3d game objects anyway.

I guess I should point out that we're on a path towards having the rim wall capable of being blown open like in the movie. This map and zone stuff has as a target the ability to somewhat simulate that part of the movie. But I should also point out that we don't want to copy-cat the whole movie. Consider an accurate simulation of the movie as a use case, but don't limit it to that! Disney's not the world-wide expert on light cycle technology, why should we limit ourselves only to copy them forever? Am I the only person who finds this idea more in line with the kind of fascist evil punishment you'll suffer in Heaven if you beg for forgiveness?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Outside Corner Grinder

my two or three bits...

Post by 2020 »

heheheh
disney
hehehe

well
although i think fortress a classic design
i can think of a few variations

the grid extends onto the walls and ceiling
so you play on the inside of a cube
there are no walls
and you play on the surface of a torus
gravity
in the sense that the grid is warped
and though you go straight
your trail is bent

for some reason i find the idea of a blackhole alluring
but maybe i should keep that to myself...
hold the line
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Spunky- Alot of that stuff has been discussed(tanks;rim breakthroughs). Theres about a thousand different rubber settings so any server could have a unique rubber setting. Try nemos limbo server if you want a server with Settings similar to what you described. And we dont really control what kind of servers become popular or fade away, You'll have to talk to server admins and convince them to host a good team server.

Luke-jr - get back to work

Joe- I think you'll have to wait untill we move to a new game engine For wicked backlighting, As for more vector graphics i agree and hope philippeqc adds on that new zone visualization i talked to him about

Ed- We're all waiting in anticipation for zones v 2 at least you and me are. And of course there was a movie(google it if you dont believe me) Although the games based around a very short part of it and also based on a related video game to some extent.

Kyle- Right on. Thats already planned for a later release(more or less).

Lucifer- I agree. Realisms over rated. If you've ever played burnout3 and then a racing simulater then you see what i mean

Sealab 2021- I'ld like to see cielings and that other stuff but i dont see it happaning untill/unless we move to a ne game engine
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

ed wrote:More zone options. Moving zones, zones manipulating other zones/player settings/world settings. Zones v2?
More abstraction. Everything is a zone. Some zones get textures. Attributes (movement, direction, etc) are vValues.
ed wrote:Wheelies.
Ramps to different levels.
True 3D (or even more psuedeo 3D)maps, let's have different types of "roofs" to put on top of specified area's.
Current "3D" plans are to layout flat surfaces. We need real 3D in order to have jumping and such.
ed wrote:There was a film?
TRON
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

Luke-Jr wrote:
ed wrote:There was a film?
TRON
no way...
you guys are juicing me...
hold the line
kyle

Post by kyle »

one more thing that would be nice
a code thats layed out a lot better right now stuff is thrown all over the place(creates more fps lag). If you did get it a bit more organized i would start codeing.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@kyle: I guess there is some work of restructuring going on, perhaps you might help out, and offer some suggestions or even help ? ;)
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

Is anyone really playing this game, just because it is out of a movie?

yeah ok when a lot of people start playing it's because they saw the film and remembered how cool the bit with the bikes was, but that's not going to keep anyone interested for more than a week or 2 (see GLtron).

The game is so playable because of the multiplayer option and variety of servers. I would rather see development go into things like enhancements of zones than see people wasting time on staying true to the crappy film that was made 20 years ago and wasn't even good apart from the bike bit and even that was too short, the whole movie should have been that.

It could be good to have the explosions affect the rim, but because it might add to the gameplay, not because they did it in the film..
Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Dr. Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Wiggum: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Wiggum: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Prof. Frink: No.
Rev. Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.
ULTRA

Post by ULTRA »

Like Inf already said the variety of servers makes AA so interesting.
I really like fortress server, but still i like to play on classic servers :)
And why not add some options out of Spunky's idea. That would expand the variety of servers.
Maybe people would not play if the game was like the movie, but why not add the options and give people the chance to create an "original Tron-like server"?
I think many of the old players would like to play at such a server sometimes, to get the feeling of the film back.

If variety is important you need to develope into both directions.
kyle

Post by kyle »

joda.bot wrote:@kyle: I guess there is some work of restructuring going on, perhaps you might help out, and offer some suggestions or even help ? ;)
i'm working on getting my computer set up. maybe in about a week or 2 i can start helping

Vista RC2 Just came out i gota Reload my system sometime soon