New Developers: Edd, Lackadaisical, and Your_mom

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

New Developers: Edd, Lackadaisical, and Your_mom

Post by Lucifer »

I guess there's no real reason to wait to announce this. We've got new developers, edd, Your_mom, and Lackadaisical. Welcome to project guys!

For anybody curious, I thought a little blurb would be nice. All 3 of these guys have been around for quite awhile and have exerted influence on the project one way or another, and imo always in a good way. And the work they've done in the past, well, let's just say we think they can contribute it directly to the trunk and it would make the game better for everyone.

Edd's got quite a collection of really nice graphics and stuff, and he's been one of the primary 3rd party guys we think about when we're thinking about things like resources and stuff. More recently, he did the splash screen that's in 0.2.8, and we there was a lot of interest in his model if we could've animated it. He also did the icons we're currently using, I think on all platforms, I know at least in KDE and Mac OS X.

Lackadaiscial, of course, did the skin we use on the forums and the website. Now he'll get to fix the wiki, since the guy that did the wiki isn't very good at making pretty websites.

Your_mom is one of the unsung heroes around here, imo. He doesn't really do anything that's terribly visible so he doesn't get a lot of credit thrown his way, but he was an important part of the work done on the maps. His cycle trail is what shipped with 0.2.8, iirc. He's also done a lot of general experimentation that's either exposed flaws for us to fix (some of which have been fixed), and some other stuff. I don't know that it's even possible to measure his influence because it's been pretty subtle. Also, some of his maps ship with 0.2.8, and the map on my server right now is derived from a map he made originally. :)

For you guys that are new:

If you want to go check sourceforge to see that you're added there, knock yourselves out. I'm still waiting for edd to tell me his username there (I think he has to create an account first), so he's not yet added there. Lack and mom have been added. Tank still needs to add you guys to the developmen staff forum, afaik. It'll get done, don't worry. :)

Joining the project doesn't mean "everything you do for the game should belong to us". So, for edd mostly, keep on making your additions and stuff. :) There's an area in our svn repository for you to put that stuff under version control if you'd like. You don't have to use it, but you're welcome to it. If you browse around in there you'll see some of us have put our own projects in there.

I think that's it. It would be nice if you guys can go through the documentation on the wiki for building the game from svn, but not required. We'll try to provide builds of the game when you need them, just ask. I know I can't personally meet that promise (at least, not until we get cross-compiling working), but I feel confident someone can. Can't promise when, though. :) But we do want to have nightly builds (we may already, I don't know, check the beta site) and you guys can work with those, no doubt.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Welcome^3, I say!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Welcome, welcome, welcome :).
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

3welcome
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Welcome!

-ph
who doesnt have a pun on 3 x welcome ;)
Canis meus id comedit.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Welcome×3 :D
There's no place like ::1
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

3clmow+6e
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Welcome³
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to write some kind of acceptance speech, but thanks and I'll do my best at whatever I'm supposed to be doing. I guess :)

-Your_mom