Armagetron - Web Browser Re-write

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Armagetron - Web Browser Re-write

Post by aP|Nelg »

Play on ALL your favorite devices! As long as they're somewhat modern and have a web browser that also is.

https://3dcycles.armanelgtron.tk/
(source code)

Edit: Please see this post for more details.
Last edited by aP|Nelg on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Armagetron - Web Browser Port

Post by sinewav »

Holy Crap!

This is the best thing posted here in years. Camera settings need some work but otherwise it's amazing. Great job! :D
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

What? How?
GluGGsel

Post by GluGGsel »

Nice!!! But I can't connect to any server, is that still in progress? Or what does one have to enter?
GluGGsel greets :goatee:
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

:o
Wow, this must have taken you some time.
Playing since December 2006
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Okay okay... This was a sort of an April Fools joke announcement, though it's not that much of a joke outside of calling it a "port". This is a full re-write (which I have called 3DCycles) that's heavily inspired by Armagetron. It's not fully compatible with Armagetron.

Let's start at the network code:
Pure Javascript without plugins, a proxy bridge, or something similar can't utilize full UDP connections. That includes the UDP connections that connecting to an ArmagetronAd server would require. To be honest, I don't really understand the Armagetron network code regardless. 3DCycles network code currently fully uses WebSockets which is a TCP-based system. Ideally, I'd like to utilize TCP for messages that should arrive in order and doesn't matter if it arrives late/out-of-order (perhaps including chat), and UDP for messages like constant cycle updates.
In other words, 3DCycles network code is completely incompatible with Armagetron's network code at the moment. (It also doesn't really work as well as Armagetron's.)

Settings-wise, cycle acceleration tends to be a little faster than it should. There's plenty of other missing settings (one of the largest being SPEED_FACTOR) as well. It lacks a language file for now. It offers some zones support, including some sty+ct and/or +ap specific zones like rubber, speed/acceleration, and balls. It can draw ShapePolygons but they don't fully work. Teams are not currently supported.
Oh yeah, there's a few settings specific to 3DCycles, but I'll document those at some point.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: Armagetron - Web Browser Re-write

Post by dlh »

Wow, This is awesome, Nelg. Great work!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Nice. I'm glad someone is keeping the classic April tradition alive. :)
theheadhunter

Post by theheadhunter »

This is incredible!