More stats

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

More stats

Post by Titanoboa »

"What do you want to see in Armagetron soon?" you ask.

Today in sumo we were talking, and when discussing leaderboards we realized it would be super cool if you could display more things than just rounds and matches won. Things like:
  • Kills (core dumps)
  • Rounds survived (sumo's "round wins")
  • Longest time survived (not a feat outside of sumo – I get that)
  • Percentages/ratios for all of the above (including rounds and matches won).
  • Highest single player score.
Okay, so I realize the "core dumps" one is the main one that could be used globally. It's a good one though, and if we're adding that anyway - why not the rest as well. I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of.
I have no idea how hard it would be to code, could literally be anywhere on the scale from impossible to super easy from where I'm stood. Thought I'd share the idea though!
Rnoodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: More stats

Post by Rnoodles »

I think it would be awsome, would motivate some players to keep coming back with a form of progression and some friendly competition.
Light

Post by Light »

Rnoodles wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 am I think it would be awsome, would motivate some players to keep coming back with a form of progression and some friendly competition.
I would actually argue the opposite. When I had stats like this, it got a lot of people to avoid playing with anyone who was a challenge for them because they didn't wanna hurt their stats.

I guess you could avoid saving losses and whatnot and only show positive results. This may be best off being custom though so it could suit each gametype. It's not too difficult to make a script that handles this stuff and more.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Light wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:50 pmThis may be best off being custom though so it could suit each gametype. It's not too difficult to make a script that handles this stuff and more.
Fair point.
For someone like me who have handled basic configs and made a few maps, it feels like a big step though. From my point of view a bunch of toggleable settings, even if turned off by default, would be ideal. Because I wouldn't know where to begin with scripting.

ps. I realized later that single player highscore already is a thing. I'll blame it on being rusty. :)
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

It's easy to fix the stats issue. Tie it to player logins instead - that way, if someone is truly butthurt about their stats, they can simply logout. I'd also suggest making the stat counter optional for server owners - and add it to 2.8.3!

Actually, now that I think abotu it, I don't think it would be neccessary to make any changes to the client - just broadcast stats as a server message, if at all. Do all the collation server-side, send the stats to the master server, or to a separate stat counter.
Rnoodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Rnoodles »

I see where you are coming from Light, which is why in other games there are "social" and "ranked" playlists. I think what delinquent mentioned would fix it. Plus most servers usually only have the top 10 players listed.
It would be really cool if there were ranked servers that required auth to play, this would stop players from only logging in when they're about to win a game. With a leader board that shows Average points per game, Total wins and KD/R.
GluGGsel

Post by GluGGsel »

In my opinione K/D ratio is not fun for everyone. What if a noob starts playing? If he eventually gets better, he will still pay off his K/D for the rest of his tron life. He might actually become very good, but his stats will confirm that maybe 2 years later.

I'd go rather for the other stats as Tita mentioned (survival time, amount of core dumps, rounds won etc). I would not include ratios in andy form.
GluGGsel greets :goatee: