Armagetron ON Steam (2019) with steam direct

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Armagetron ON Steam (2019) with steam direct

Post by Z-Man »

aP - Cake wrote:I made a reply but somehow it didn't go through and I cba to re-write it all.
That's the approval system for new users. Sorry for the inconvenience, your old post is now visible. I left both despite the obvious redundancy, for many reasons, one of them being that I can't get enough of people agreeing with me :)

Rnoodles
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Rnoodles »

I think your'e spot on Z-man and Gene. I think the biggest issue you guys mentioned could be players opening up tron and not being able to find many active servers. It almost feels like the chicken and the egg situation. Armagetronad already has some good advantages in my opinion. I know so many people that know about Armagetronad because its on all of the school computers over here in Australia (not sure about the rest of the world), one of the videos you uploaded z-man about steam direct, stated that "bike" games are easily one of the most popular games on steam direct. The Disney tron movie and other tron games may also bring alot more "Tron" search results on steam then we think.

There is also a chance that uploading it could bring more developers to the community that want to help you guys out?
If there are any advertisement costs id also like to help where possible.
I've added you gene i'm keen to help smash out some of these Youtube videos.
I'm not sure if its a realistic time frame but a launch to steam around Christmas time could be tactical? I know alot more tronners are active around holiday times.

szopin
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by szopin »

Z-Man wrote:I'd have no problem paying the 100$ to get a steam direct spot. There are potential benefits. Auto-Updates of the client being my favourite. However,
bebad wrote: with the hopes that it might stand out from the 1000's of new games released monthly and maybe get some new players interested in joining us on the grid.
That does not happen any more on Steam. If you just put out your game on Steam and do nothing else, no matter how good it is, it just drowns in the flood of new releases. Like compguygene says, a successful Steam release needs to be accompanied by a publicity push. And then, if the "launch" is successful, Steams almighty recommendation algorithm may help keep a game afloat.
Helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WycVOCbeKqQ (it's for games that cost money, but still helpful)
How about nintendo switch? There's only a handful of free games on it, it would get massive attention especially since the format fits (and come on, arma on the go sounds great, will be trying build it on cosmo communicator soon)

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'd love to do that! I'm even already registered at the Nintendo Developer Portal. However, right now, they only give out dev tools for 3DS and Wii U for unknowns like me. I suppose you need a publisher or approach them with a known-to-be-portable game already, such as one developed with Unity or Unreal. There's a company offering ports of Godot games to Switch, too, though I don't know whether they had any customers so far. And console SDKs are typically the opposite of open source, so as long as we're tied to the GPL, whether a console release would even be allowed is debatable (the 'it's legal' side could refer to the exception for linking with system libraries).

szopin
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by szopin »

Z-Man wrote:I'd love to do that! I'm even already registered at the Nintendo Developer Portal. However, right now, they only give out dev tools for 3DS and Wii U for unknowns like me. I suppose you need a publisher or approach them with a known-to-be-portable game already, such as one developed with Unity or Unreal. There's a company offering ports of Godot games to Switch, too, though I don't know whether they had any customers so far. And console SDKs are typically the opposite of open source, so as long as we're tied to the GPL, whether a console release would even be allowed is debatable (the 'it's legal' side could refer to the exception for linking with system libraries).
Right, I guess the fact all indies are getting now published on switch is because of unity. What about the Nintendo Dev Interface? It's supposed to support different IDEs:
Our newest gem in the box is the NDI Client. NDI stands for Nintendo Dev Interface, but it’s really going to be your new best friend. The NDI Client will help make sure you have the optimal development environment on your development system — by downloading and installing it all for you! You can tailor it to the platform you’re developing for, the SDK you want, even the region you’re working in. It allows for easy download of all the relevant guidelines and documentation you need to do your work. It even allows you to update the firmware of certain development kits.
Something like QtCreator would probably be supported, if so would need a rewrite/simplification of the UI in qml for console and the C/C++ could mostly stay the same. Passing their QA might be a bitch as crashing apps could be used by homebrew scene. Is it not available for you on their website or is the description totally misleading? Or does that NDI only support unity/UE?
edit: reading some more looks like probably the NDI is not offering any switch SDK (and on top of that NDAs in place so really hard to find info on this), seems like it would need to be visual studio project, forget QtCreator.
edit2: from gbatemp:
You can still enter right now, but you can't develop for Switch without passing additional verification and pitching your project (If I understand it correctly from outside sources anyway).
Additionally, only sign up if you are actually going to develop for Nintendo consoles, the NDA is very legally binding and has the potential to land you in serious legal danger if you disclose any of the resources or use them for anything not covered by the NDA.
Then again as main developer of arma you have at least that going for you, still would need some kind of a pitch for them to accept it I guess