New bzr branches for 0.4

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

New bzr branches for 0.4

Post by Z-Man »

Right, remember this? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24256&hilit=fastexport&start=0
(tl;dr; using some fastexport hackery, I managed to create bzr branches with the combined history of 0.4 and 0.2.8 ).

I tested the procedure there again, and it still worked without a hitch. The resulting hybrid branch could be merged from 0.2.8 just fine, with expected conflicts, of course, but none of them came from the creation procedure, all were 'natural'.

In other version control news, the computer that used the very, very fragile bzr-svn sync method to keep svn and bzr in sync broke badly... two years ago? bzr-svn has to keep huge amouts of metadata in a user specific directory and loses the ability to sync if that is lost or if you upgrade bzr or bzr-svn to a different version. And the computer was my very old laptop that ran gentoo, can only boot from floppy disk and is the only device with a working floppy drive left in the house. There is no hope of restoring that functionality (I do have a backup of the sync data, but without the software, it is useless). And we did our merges from 0.2.8 to 0.4 on the svn side. So factually, we have been without real merges for quite a bit.

Therefore, I simply pushed the combined branches and declare them our new official branches for 0.4. This gives us merges back. The URIs are

lp:~armagetronad-dev/armagetronad/0.4-armagetronad
lp:~armagetronad-dev/armagetronad/0.4-winlibs
lp:~armagetronad-dev/armagetronad/0.4-build
lp:~armagetronad-dev/armagetronad/0.4-build_eclipse

Getting rid of the -work suffices.

0.4-armagetronad-work can't be simply be merged into 0.4-armagetronad using just bzr, unfortunately. But in case you have commits to make or push still, the process that created the branches can also merge those. It just relies on the scripts in lp:~z-man/armagetronad/armagetronad-unification-scripts and the existing -unified branches in lp:~z-man/armagetronad/, those should not break any time soon.

tl;dr: Update your bzr clones from 0.4-armagetronad-work to 0.4-armagetronad, please.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: New bzr branches for 0.4

Post by Z-Man »

I was trying to get some older, unmerged branches over and ran into problems with this one:
https://code.launchpad.net/~armagetrona ... runk-cmake

I can't even make a local copy :( Can you guys try and report back? Do "bzr branch lp:~armagetronad-dev/armagetronad/trunk-cmake". For me, it times out, pretty much always at the same spot. It's not a huge loss, I could download the repository state at the last common ancestor with trunk and the final revision, that should suffice to at least rebuild the content.
I suspect it's because that branch and its stack base are on different formats; sadly, upgrading the branches does not work, probably due to the usual internal corruption.

Edit: never mind, I found an old copy.