additional cycles?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Washington
On Lightcycle Grid

additional cycles?

Post by Washington »

The cycles and the colors are awsome, don't get me wrong. I'm curious though if they all have to look the same? I mean we have one format for a cycle, why not two?

I mean I think (though I havent tried) that it is possible for me to go and photoshop the cycle in my game and change it around, and that would mean in the entire game every cycle I see will look like mine, but other people won't see what it looks like.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone understood that, so my idea is why not have three different cycle options that youc an chose, seperate from the color? The AA advanced cycle. The movie cycle, and perhaps another one. Just to very things up a bit in the way that it looks.

I'm not saying make any one cycle look cooler than the other, same kind of colors and format, but it might be cool to have a big front and small back, opposed to a small front and big back, and then maybe a different design of the origional.

What do you guys think?
- Washington
- Merius
- Alan
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

i suggested this over a year ago, & various methods to impliment it.

i think its a decent idea.. downloadable bikes that would show up if you have that bike installed.. that way 3 or 4 diff ppl in the game could each have their own type of bike..

some of the opponents said they didnt want to see a "penis bike"

but if you dint install the phalus cycle, it would just show a mystery bike, like a bike with all question marks on it or something..

seems like ppl like to customize the game alot.. textures & models & etc..

i know i do. ;p
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:some of the opponents said they didnt want to see a "penis bike"
Hahahahaha!!

Seriously that would suck..Your playing and all of a sudden BAM! 'Orb was coredumped by a penis'

wow....You can always use a movie pack but I like supertards idea better.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Washington
On Lightcycle Grid

yeah heh

Post by Washington »

Well I like the idea of custamizing cycles.

I'm not sure about the phalus cycle but I was thinking

set three defalt cycles, so that all players will see those three no mater what has been downloaded.

And then leave the option open to the player to download new bikes if they so wish. Meaning we could get onto the webpage and see new cycles created and say I like that one and download it.

But if players didn't do this then one of the three defalt bikes would show simply. Also if done well enough I'm sure most players would chose one of the three defalt bikes given in the game instead of downloading. But that might be a personal choice.
- Washington
- Merius
- Alan
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

and dont forget you could include insults to other players on your trail wall :twisted: :lol:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Revan wrote:
SuPeRTaRD wrote:some of the opponents said they didnt want to see a "penis bike"
Hahahahaha!!

Seriously that would suck..Your playing and all of a sudden BAM! 'Orb was coredumped by a penis'

wow....You can always use a movie pack but I like supertards idea better.
.... He got his point across without saying anything bad, just trying to get his point across, and you turn it into a dirty joke...

I like the idea, except we should make only like 3 different ones and make em configurable in settings instead of player made or downloadable. That would cause to much greif..
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's planned, but there's serious work that has to be done first. Basically, whenever you see someone say something about "factoring the renderer" or something to that effect, that's the work that has to be done first. Have you noticed how there's only support for one moviepack?

The way I figure it, first, getting support for more than one moviepack. Then making it possible to get cycle models/textures from a resource server.

Anyway, point is, yeah, we're working on it, and we'll get it, eventually. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Perhaps a first step—on the client side only—could be to have two different cycle skins and/or models for the moviepack. One for you, and one for everyone else. For instance, PlayerBike.png and EnemyBike.png, or whatever.

Then, for example, the Pac-Man moviepack could have you as Pac-Man, and everyone else as ghosts. :D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Sorry silly, that would be Just Another Hack. :) Not that I'd object if someone sent up a patch for it, but it wouldn't actually advance us any, except maybe in conceptualizing it, but I don't think there's any difficulty conceptualizing anything.

Here's how I'm seeing it. We need a new GUI, and the GUI represents a significant part of the renderer. I consider a moviepack to be a skin, and I'd like to make a skinnable GUI, so the first big step (after a number of small steps have already been taken that are also planned) is to write a skinnable GUI that separates GUI logic from the game logic. It's pretty separated now, iirc, but there's a few bite-me places.

In doing that, we work out how textures, models, and sounds will be treated by the resource manager. We have to, to make it skinnable. :)

Then, "all that's left" is to factor out the remaining rendering stuff, direct it to the resource manager to get art assets, and we're done. :) ("all that's left" of course is still a fair amount of work)

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, whatever. :|
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Okay lemme see if i'm with you on this.

hack != virus.. (is it cutting the code up and rewriting a little after copy pasting a bit of it? ive never really asked but thats what i got from it).

GUI=>General User Interface=>How the menus appear to the user, how you use the commands and set everything up, and the hud and stuff like that?
Skinnable GUI=>a general user interface that the users have more say in how looks, and has more options to do what you want?

"In doing that, we work out how textures, models, and sounds will be treated by the resource manager."=>What is resource manager?

Sorry, but i'm still learning so i have an excuse :)...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hack. See definition 1.

GUI = Graphical User Interface, but skinnable generally means that the entire gui can be defined from text files or whatever. It's more than just "the user has more say", it's more like "people will be able to develop skin packages that make Armagetron look like TuxRacer/GLTron/Counterstrike/whatever".

The resource manager can be found in armagetronad/src/tools/tResourceManager.h . It's what handles downloading maps right now, but it's intended to be the central point from which all game assetts will be retrieved.

- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Alright thx, that clears up 60% of the questions i ask myself through most of the posts in this section...
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

Some of our previous discussions on this topic. I'm sure there are others...
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1237
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1350
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1478

I had modified 2.6 to let you change your cycle textures and the textures that everyone elses cycles use. It didn't make sense to merge it in to 2.7+ since all the textures, models, and sounds need to be moved into the resource server and there were talks of changing the rendering code. The following posts contain code fragments for implementing the texture changing stuff for anyone who want to play around with it.
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1675
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1051
Washington
On Lightcycle Grid

thats awsome guys

Post by Washington »

Awsome guys, its exciting to see whats to come. I can't wait.
- Washington
- Merius
- Alan