General Purpose Tournament Server

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: General Purpose Tournament Server

Post by sinewav »

vov wrote:If this is about fortress, sumo and deathmatch, the v0.4 server does it just fine (like pickup, with refs also allowed to set a game type). That said, I really like the idea of "10 minutes until it starts" which would most likely need a script. Randomized teams can be done on both versions (v0.4 - scramble, v0.2-sty - scripted).
Light wrote:If going the route of a script, it also gives the option to create a self-updating script, and lets you customize everything else quite a bit. Maybe moderator requests could be done from a command instead of getting someone that's on IRC to get someone to come to your server. That's just one example.
My experience with Arma tournaments has led me to believe we should follow the path of least resistance. I love the idea of a fully customized, self-updating script. But who has time to write it? I suggest use tools we currently have available and build a tournament framework around them while we work on a more refined approach in parallel, as time permits.

I don't see the server version as an obstacle since right we are only using Gene's and Kyle's contributions, and both of them are open to putting up whatever the community needs (Thanks again guys!). How about we use the features in 0.4x to get us going then slowly write those features into a script for 0.2x? When the time is ready we can transition versions. Besides, if this is to be a true "general purpose" tournament server it will have to be sty+ct, but in the meantime we can stretch the limits of 0.4x. That means Fortress, Sumo and Deathmatch to start, and whatever else doesn't need advanced zone settings.

If this sounds good, the next step would be to write out a use case scenario and see where we have holes to fill with scripts. After, we can write this into a set of guidelines on the wiki. For example:
  1. Players all meet in a server at a specific time.
  2. One player initiates /vote referee
  3. Once a referee has been authorized, the ref can INCLUDE <gametype>
  4. ...something something pick teams something /scramble?
  5. If "this many players" then "that result"?
  6. ...a countdown timer? Warmup mode? players are /ready?
  7. Team Leaders are OP'd
    • Teams are /lock'ed and players /(un)invite'd
    • Some teams move to alternate server
  8. Players consult the wiki for tournament specific procedures (elimination bracket, round-robin, etc..)
  9. Everybody wins...
Feel free to copy/paste the above and make changes.

Once we can visualize how an ad-hoc tournament server might work we can divide up the roles and move toward making it happen. I don't want to sound dire, but I really think maintaining the current size and strength of this community depends on our ability to get together and have semi-organized competition, if only occasionally. It really is exciting when we all get together and play. Whether you win or loose, the dynamic is much different than playing causally on a weeknight.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: General Purpose Tournament Server

Post by sinewav »

:star: Double-post.

AThanks to everyone participating in this thread. Your help is greatly appreciated.