IRC channel under threat?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

IRC channel under threat?

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, so apparently /dev/null has got some freenode staffer to pay attention to our irc channel, and they're finding that we're misclassified.

I'm not sure how to deal with this. I've dealt with it as best I can for a first wave attack (of sorts), but I don't know if I can handle this in the long term. They're wanting to classify our channel in the ## space, rather than the # space it's in right now. Now, normally, this wouldn't be a problem. You know, like, 10 years ago when the channel was established, it wouldn't have been a problem. But now it's 10 years, and we have a dependency on the IRC channel, and they're wanting to move it.

Of course, the reason they want to move it is because /dev/null thinks that he can take over the entire project if the IRC channel moves, much like if North Korea managed to take the Philipinnes, we'd just let them take over the rest of the world. The point is the only reason it's even come up is because /dev/null (who we have banned) is raising hell on freenode.

So, we fight! I've been fighting, and I got Luke-Jr into it (and he made a solid accounting), and MrBougo, but apparently we might need more. Apparently they need to see that the channel is used for development.

But I'm thinking we've been there 10 years, don't **** with us. I think that's a good message to send, too, but probably not in exactly those words.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: IRC channel under threat?

Post by sinewav »

8) I'm on it.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Lucifer wrote:Apparently they need to see that the channel is used for development.
Could always use it for development, and they'd see it.
Is that idea too far out there? :lol:
IndigoChild
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by IndigoChild »

Maybe you idiot fvcks could actually use it for development
Not ZuLu Fam
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Urgh. You know, yesterday, when I fell blissfully into bed as early as 22:30, I thought: That's going to give me a good night's rest. Maybe if tomorrow Z-Girl also skips her afternoon nap and goes to bed like a halfway normal kid, I'll be awake enough to maybe get our build system in order or continue work on that bzr branch merging thing so we can ditch bzr-svn and I can retire that old laptop. 'course, Z-Girl awakes at 6 AM, does have her afternoon nap and now this. (Well, not really now, I listened in on HAILSATAN's ramblings on IRC the other day)

Anyway, statement for the freenode folks:
We, that is Lucifer, Tank Program and me, factually are in control of the following things:
1. The armagetronad.org and armagetronad.net domain names
2. The armagetronad and armagetron projects on sourceforge
3. The armagetronad project on launchpad
The ad suffix has historic reasons, the names armagetron and armagetronad have been used pretty much interchangeably. Nobody here cares. If anyone should have control over the #armagetron channel, it would be us. The main source repository everybody else is somehow pulling from is the one maintained by us (the bzr branches on launchpad).

Now, it is true that not much development chat has been happening on #armagetron lately. That's because there has not been much development, and what there was was managed over these forums. That should not be an issue, however. I quote the new policies:
Primary channels do not expire with inactivity
Furthermore, the channel has been of immense importance to us last year for socializing when times were very rough.

If the bot usage and largely off topic chat are a problem, I personally would not mind splitting that part off to an 'about' channel, though I don't see how that would be of any practical use to anybody.

Lastly, the individual who brought us to your attention probably is not telling you the truth. Just to clear some things up he claimed on #armagetron:
<HAILSATAN> since zman will never let the master server talk to the fork
<HAILSATAN> tried that already
<HAILSATAN> he blacklisted my master server
<HAILSATAN> he does every time
The master servers of the game are currently four special servers holding the game server list. They talk to each other. We can't blacklist masters, master servers need to be set up by specially trusted individuals and then added to the list. Forked versions of the game are absolutely free to advertise games and seek games on our master servers as long as they don't change the protocol (obviously). There are three forks in existence with modified server code, two of which are happily running alongside vanilla servers, and we are very happy about their existence. They can advertise their changes on these forums freely and are listed in the 'code' section of our launchpad project. A fourth fork decided for itself it did not want to use our masters and deliberately made itself incompatible; that one died off.
<HAILSATAN> I helped to fix most of the issues in tron
<HAILSATAN> but you wouldnt know
<HAILSATAN> since you are busy being an idiot
<HAILSATAN> check the ******* forums
<HAILSATAN> my patches are on there
Those patches are not here, nor elsewhere. If he claims we deleted them, we obviously can't delete them from his hard drive. Ask him to produce them. What he did contribute was Bug reports of the variety "X is broken!" "How is it broken?" "Play the game yourself, you'll notice."
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Had a chat with that uptime fellow. He just entered the channel to monitor it. We're not in any danger of losing the channel, he says :) I wasn't there when he first appeared, but from what he tells me, he was caught right in the middle of a fight between HAILSATAN and Lucifer_arma and Lucifer_arma responded to his presence in a less than ideal way :) There is no need to "fight" anything. Though I do agree, a bit more actual dev talk would not hurt.

uptime also suggested to maybe split the channel, have #armageton reserved for proper dev stuff and #armagetron-chat or #armagetron-offtopic for socializing. Dunno, that would make sense if the Venn diagram of people interested in those individual things are not just the bit where they all overlap. Maybe someone less lazy than me should make a poll? Maybe tomorrow-me.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

As I understand it, he (uptime) was brought by HAILSATAN, who, I should point out, authenticated himself to me as /dev/null (using his old tramshed name), and /dev/null came in demanding to take over the entire project, basically.

Which he can't do, of course, but uptime was acting like we might lose the irc channel in some form.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden