So when?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

So when?

Post by /dev/null »

Are you guys gonna merge the last decades upgrades into something other than .3 and .4 both failed attempts at being cool.

If you guys played tron, you would know why. It got tedious maintaining my own repo years ago, you are supposed to be the devs, ******* dev. No one wants those new versions. If they didnt just destroy years of how the damn game works, I certainly would care not at all.

The strongarm method you ***** are using make the transition from 2.6 to 2.7 seem painless. Im fairly surprised no ones forked it yet, im guessing they havnt since you control the master servers and wont open that up at all.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Re: So when?

Post by aP|Nelg »

This is kind of a pointless rant I am reading, but
/dev/null wrote:Are you guys gonna merge the last decades upgrades into something other than .3 and .4 both failed attempts at being cool.
You'd probably get used to 0.4 if you used it for a while. If you keep sticking around with 0.2 when 0.4 is released, your client will be incompatible with the new fancy servers zonesv2 servers.
/dev/null wrote:The strongarm method you ***** are using make the transition from 2.6 to 2.7 seem painless. Im fairly surprised no ones forked it yet, im guessing they havnt since you control the master servers and wont open that up at all
What in the world does that mean? Are you talking about python or tron?
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Ive played with all of the shitty new versions, they dont work right. if they did, poeople would use them. Im far from the only one whos noticed how bad your new versions are. Obliterate decades of mechanics so you can have a ******* minimap, **** that noise bitches.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

As someone who was a diehard .2x guy I must say that I've warmed up quite a bit to .4x. My longstanding problem with the newer versions was the impossibly bad framerate compared to .2x. However, Intel finally released Linux drivers for my chipset and, wow, the difference is night and day. The .4x branch is graphically much smoother and my ability to make accurate turns has increased — shockingly I might add. I never realized that things like v-sync + bad video drivers could affect gameplay so severely.

There is a list of problems with .4x, but of course, it's still in development. Actually, the sound seems to be the only thing broken from .2x, so that should be high priority for the sake of increasing uptake.

I really hope to find time before the end of the year to contribute. .4x needs some polish.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Speaking of 0.4, I have a cockpit that I made (/ edited from the main cockpit) back in 2013 that looks like 0.2 while also having a minimap

Cockpit file can be found here:
http://armanelgtron.tk/armagetronad/res ... ockpit.xml

COCKPIT_FILE nelg/edit-0.0.1.aacockpit.xml(http://armanelgtron.tk/armagetronad/resource/nelg/edit-0.0.1.aacockpit.xml)
Last edited by aP|Nelg on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Still have that stupid colour behind chat that I hate.
Not to mention that I hate the minimap, so adding it is a -1 for me.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:star: Keep up the good work, Nelg.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:Still have that stupid colour behind chat that I hate.
The color behind chat thing you mention is an 0.4 thing, not a cockpit thing. I guess it [is supposed to] add readability.
ConVicT wrote:Not to mention that I hate the minimap, so adding it is a -1 for me.
The point of it was to retain the minimap while having the 0.2 style.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I know.
I was just letting you know that it sucks balls regardless of what V you wanna stick it in :wink:
But, nice, I suppose, if you like the minimap.
Last edited by ConVicT on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

aP|Nelg wrote:
The color behind chat thing you mention is an 0.4 thing, not a cockpit thing. I guess it [is supposed to] add readability.
ConVicT wrote:Not to mention that I hate the minimap, so adding it is a -1 for me.
The point of it was to retain the minimap while having the 0.2 style.
+1 Im proud of you Nelf
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

[Anonymous] wrote: +1 Im proud of you Nelf
Are we being sarcastically condescending again? lol
[Anonymous] wrote:Mini Map is useless imo.
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

It really bothered me as well. However, the command [CHAT_LAYER 0] gets rid of it. You can thank AI, I believe this was his doing.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Convict, you can turn off both the chat background (alpha layer) and the minimap. For the minimap you don't get a simple ON/OFF option unless it's built into the cockpit you're using though. The default one I think should have this, and maybe it will when it's released, but one that has it is the minimal cockpit, which is the one I use. I have it turned off almost 100% of the time, but I like popping it up once in a great while.

So, while I agree that both of them can be annoying, it's not because they can both be disabled, as I've done.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

If I were to get that version and turn off everything that makes 0.4 0.4, wouldn't I be better just sticking to 0.2?
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:If I were to get that version and turn off everything that makes 0.4 0.4, wouldn't I be better just sticking to 0.2?
You would be having a customizable HUD, supporting new zones (new servers), etc. 0.4 Also consistently gives me better framerate tested over multiple OS's and systems. You have things like the music player and whatnot.

I don't really remember what else 0.2 lacks as I haven't touched it in quite a while. I mean .. it's up to you. You can either stick to an outdated client and not support the new features that will eventually be what the normal release. It's like wanting to keep using 0.2.6. Then you'll complain when servers ain't supporting you. Not that this will be a near future issue, but it will likely happen given time.