Current State of 0.4 Audio

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Current State of 0.4 Audio

Post by sinewav »

Now that I'm committed to using 0.4, once again I am bothered by the broken sound. To make it more tolerable I started creating replacement files for 1voicemale.ogg, announcerGO.ogg, etc... but the mixing is terrible and grind.ogg doesn't trigger at all. I am guessing the whole thing needs to be rewritten? Does SDL2 also create a problem?

Lately I've been a bit inspired to start making assets for this game again. I want to hone in on an aesthetic that unifies the textures, cockpit, sounds, and music — and I wouldn't mind some input on where this game is headed. There are countless of lightcycle games out there and they all look roughly the same: All tacky. Visual abominations. I think Arma could really stand out if we can capture a look that says "high art."
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Current State of 0.4 Audio

Post by Lucifer »

The mixing is handled by SDL, we do no mixing (except for the cycle engine sound, I believe, but even that's turned over to SDL).

I really hope my schedule opens up at some point, because I'd totally just do an OpenAL backend and give up on SDL for sound.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden