0.4 Cockpit Discussion

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...

What are the most valuable cockpit elements (besides rubber)?

ping
12%
speed
13%
brakes
23%
friends/enemies
13%
framerate
10%
score
10%
clock
5%
fastest
2%
MINI MAP
12%

Total votes: 92

Magi
Match Winner

Re: 0.4 Cockpit Discussion

Post by Magi »

Maybe it's cause I turn off almost all settings I find useless/eat up FPS like grid and rim walls, also...That freaking clock.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I find the entire hud besides the tab scoreboard/pings and the lag diamond useless. Make any changes to the hud toggleable if I ever have to upgrade to that terrible waterbaby you guys call .4
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

/dev/null wrote:I find the entire hud besides the tab scoreboard/pings and the lag diamond useless. Make any changes to the hud toggleable if I ever have to upgrade to that terrible waterbaby you guys call .4
You can modify COCKPIT_FILE to a different cockpit... There is a cockpit that is supposed to look like 0.2.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I wanted to bump this thread for those who might not have seen it before. This weekend I finally got around to designing a cockpit and it looks marvelous. It has all the features of the default cockpit (sans fastest) and follows popular design trends among cockpit users, like the extra-wide rubber bar. I assigned all five toggle keys so you can remove everything from the HUD. It's looking pretty slick and will post it for testing shortly, but wanted to spark the discussion up once again.

How do you feel about colors? Are you inspired by HUDs from other, popular games? What would be your essential features in a minimal cockpit?

Note: I am not using the cockpit branch, so nothing is assigned to <Anchors> and I question how this cockpit will look on different aspect rations. I'll need testers.
Attachments
cockpit-survey.png
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Also, because I'm stupid, can someone give me a function that looks like this?
Attachments
function.png
function.png (7.74 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:Something with y = x^(1/...)?
Yeah that will work. Thanks! Yesterday I kept trying trying different power functions then today realized it wasn't working because I wasn't scaling the axis correctly. Like I said, I'm stoopid.

This formula is needed to make the speed gauge feel more like a gauge. Ideally it should be log, not power, but the cockpit code doesn't have a log function that I can see and it would be way too much effort to do a workaround, especially for a gauge most people don't pay attention too. If they look at all, it is the numbers they read, not the needle.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I currently use Flex's essential remix cockpit. However, I would prefer it if the brake and speed meters looked and functioned more like the rubber meter does.
Playing since December 2006
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

For anyone wondering
What's that?
Attachments
Personally, I think it's horrible. No offense, Flex.
Personally, I think it's horrible. No offense, Flex.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Alright, I now have a full understanding of the cockpit code. While nothing I have is ready for release, I want to share a few sketches. Speaking of sketches, if you have cockpit ideas and can draw, post them here and I might be able to create it for you. I would like to collaborate. Also, I want to hear from .2x users who are more critical of changes and less likely to make their own.
Attachments
02a.png
Same as above, with toggle-able fly-outs hidden.
Same as above, with toggle-able fly-outs hidden.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Here is an earlier version of the above cockpit.
Attachments
01a.png
Minimal mode engaged.
Minimal mode engaged.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I use my own minimal cockpit. I forget what it's called, though, but I fixed it in the 0.4 branch, so now it's a v0.2 cockpit. :)

There's a minimap, speed and brake gauges right up in the middle of the screen (small enough that they don't hide important stuff happening, big enough to be readable, and right where you're already looking, so you can check them even in tight spots).

Then there's a friends/enemies alive, color coded so that at a glance you can tell if your team outnumbers the other team.

I think that's it. No rubber gauge. Rubber for weaks!

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Looks sleek, but I'm not so sure about the monochrome fill for the meters, It could be a lot harder to read in my opinion. also are the filled by volume, or by length?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote:Looks sleek, but I'm not so sure about the monochrome fill for the meters, It could be a lot harder to read in my opinion.
You are correct, and they will not stay monochrome. Really, these are just sketches, a way for me to learn the cockpit code. My design philosophy is to start in black & white then add color later. However, as I suspected, the design process really needs to move beyond the cockpit and toward a unified theme for the newest version of Armagetron. I don't want a cocpkit that looks "slapped on," but rather one that compliments a new look.

I wish there were more people involved in Arma because I want to have an in-depth discussion about future game art.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

It looks nice so far, but the one thing I dislike is how cluttered the bottom left is, that's a lot of stuff in one corner and I think the time/fps is better suited for the top right or left of the screen
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye