Focus on QOL improvements.

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Focus on QOL improvements.

Post by /dev/null »

Please stop trying to change how the game is played every version and please focus on the endless list of shit that needs fixed.

It's frustrating to watch you guys devote your time to shit no one asked for while ignoring the multitude of fixes that would be much more useful.

Regardless of my regular shit talking, this is super disheartening. I was hoping you would learn from the travesty version 3 was.

Granted a lot of these fixes arent very glamorous, but is there really any glamour in tron anyways?

Please stop trying to fix things that arent broke, and fix the things that are.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Focus on QOL improvements.

Post by Z-Man »

Specific points please. And stick around to give answers to followup questions, and better, give all the details right away.
You did not answer these, for example:
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 54#p290254 (might be important)
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 79#p273979
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Perhaps you fixed it (Gentoo would accept it if you had) or perhaps its so old they gave up (A lot more likely)

I havnt paid enough attention either way to really give a shit either way, and I doubt that it is the deciding factor on whether or not you ******* deal with the endless loose ends.

SDL1 has been deprecated for years. That I have to point that out is ******* ridiculous.

Whats worse, is some random asshole ported it to sdl2 YEARS AGO. And you ******* pricks ignored it.

Reminds me of when we fixed the rip bug for you. This is a recurring problem with tron devs.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

/dev/null wrote:Perhaps you fixed it (Gentoo would accept it if you had) or perhaps its so old they gave up (A lot more likely)
I have a different theory: You pulled your claims out of your ass. If there was a publicly known vulnerability we ignored, Ubuntu and other distributions would have de-listed us, too.
/dev/null wrote:YEARS AGO
Last year. And Voodoo himself says it is incomplete. And we did not ignore it. Yes, we could have picked SDL2.0 up faster. Sorry for being busy with life.
/dev/null wrote:Reminds me of when we fixed the rip bug for you.
Oh, you FIXED it? Where is this mystical code patch you provided?

Still ready to receive any actual improvement suggestions.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Had you bothered to play instead of sit on your douchebag throne you would have seen it in action.

This is exactly what im talking about.

I dont get why people think you are useful.

As for useful suggestions, look at the first post of this thread idiot. We are always cleaning up shit you "devs" are too stupid or lazy to do your damn selves. Every good patch has been from the community, not from you, eat a bag of dick.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

stop using "we" please /dev/null
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

/dev/null wrote: Every good patch has been from the community, not from you, eat a bag of dick.
You are obviously someone that has never been to http://launchpad.net/armagetronad and looked at development over the last 4 years, for example. Yes, the flashier patches like sty, ct's stuff, ap have come from the community. However, you are completely ignoring Armathentication, many security patches and bugfixes, and that is just the work on the .2.8 series, which by the way at this time is feature frozen, but because of a recently identified set of vulnerabilities, more work by Z-man and DLH is being done to make it as safe as possible.
You decry the .3 branch as being pointless. If you were to ever bother reading what the devs wrote about it, you would see that your argument is pointless. .3 was never meant to be anything buy a purely experimental branch for some entirely new ideas for the game that the devs wanted to pursue to improve things in a non-hacked way. So, the point of .3 was to develop ideas for a future realease.
At the beginning of 2014, .28 was feature frozen and Z-man merged the .28 code with what had become the .4 code to make the beginnings of an actual new release. Lets talk about some of the new features currently in .4 put there by the devs:
Better fonts and Unicode Support.
ZonesV2 which make the zones much less hacky and more flexible, they don't support all the sty stuff yet, but eventually they will.
Cockpits that can be much more customized with many more gauges. 8 cockpits are pre-built at this time.
Built-in settings and config rotations.
A set of tutorials so newbies can get their feet wet before joining an online game and hopefully more stick around.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of every new feature, just some of the biggest ones. All done by your friendly neighborhood devs, with some help from the rest of the community, but mostly the devs.
Don't get me wrong here, the devs would love to have more help from the community. They all have busy lives with jobs, families, etc.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Oh, come on, the devs don't deserve that kind of slander for moving on with their lives. They're still here and reply to this, after all.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No worries, guys. That's just how /dev/null talks. I usually ignore him completely, just sometimes I need to poke him to see whether something of value comes out. Believe it or not, I think he said something actually relevant for development sometime in the past two months or so, something I will need to fix.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Yeah, I saw that too. I think my reaction was simply based in the passion I have in having created topics like "what is is going to take to make .4 a stable release". Also, I learned C 30 years ago when I went to college. I have recently been putting the effort into learning C++. I would like to contribute.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Z-Man wrote:
/dev/null wrote:Perhaps you fixed it (Gentoo would accept it if you had) or perhaps its so old they gave up (A lot more likely)
I have a different theory: You pulled your claims out of your ass. If there was a publicly known vulnerability we ignored, Ubuntu and other distributions would have de-listed us, too.
Now obvious different different theory: You mean the security problems in 0.2.6. Yes, at some point, we stopped fixing them there, probably around the time when they stopped compiling out of the box on then-current systems, making it too difficult to actually make builds.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:
Z-Man wrote:
Now obvious different different theory: You mean the security problems in 0.2.6. Yes, at some point, we stopped fixing them there, probably around the time when they stopped compiling out of the box on then-current systems, making it too difficult to actually make builds.
We called that version 0.2.7.1.

In case you were needing a bit of a memory jog, there.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Sadly ive had to go to 2.8 just to make the damn thing not work like like balls.

Id prefer if you didnt break the rubber every minor version, but I know thats unlikely. The vast majority of you dont play competively, and it shows.

IN before ladle, the least compwtitive version of tron that exists.
Im sure lots of you think you amazing. But Im in the trenches, killing everything. You are food.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

All you gotta do is keep the rubber code consistent. But you never do, every minor version makes me have to relearn the ******* game over.

Its ******* ridiculous, and a large part of why no one upgrades to your silly new versions.

Im able to adapt, most of the playerbase isnt.

What confuses me, is why do you feel the need to **** up the rubber everytime and ignore all the other, much better, things we gave you?

Its either you are ******* with us on purpose, or just dont ******* play the game. Im pretty sure its the latter, since I never see you on any server.