[FEATURE REQUEST] List Scrollbar

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

[FEATURE REQUEST] List Scrollbar

Post by Light »

Would it be realistic to request this? I would really like to have a scrollbar for the server list. No, not to drag with your mouse, but simply to show how far up or down the list you are viewing. Just a little something that shows up on the left side when you move the view (the set of servers you're looking at). I wouldn't show it just by moving to a different server within that view.
takburger
Match Winner

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] List Scrollbar

Post by takburger »

Light wrote:Would it be realistic to request this? I would really like to have a scrollbar for the server list. No, not to drag with your mouse, but simply to show how far up or down the list you are viewing. Just a little something that shows up on the left side when you move the view (the set of servers you're looking at). I wouldn't show it just by moving to a different server within that view.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I think an easier option (a lot less work) would be to have a server count.

"X servers listed."

And a "line number" on the side somewhere (regardless of how the servers are listed, the line numbers just count the list).

So a listing may look like:

Code: Select all

89 servers listed:

1 server_name ping user/count score
2 server_name ping user/count score
3 server_name ping user/count score
4 server_name ping user/count score
etc.. 
(option to toggle this on/off maybe?)
Not really a scrollbar, but it should be able to give the same idea of where you are on the list.

Though, if you bring up a scrollbar, there should be a ton more UI changes too IMO.
But that's asking for a lot more work and considering a more "clickable" UI.
Personally I think such a change might be good, but there's not a lot to go with in that direction. (if we're talking about including a map editor in tron, then it might make sense to change how the UI works)

Anyway, not a bad idea IMO. Not sure how much of a priority this is, but let's see what some devs have to say about this.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Printing numbers is a typical programmer's solution. As a user you really want a visual scrollbar.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Well I was just trying to be realistic.
Overall, I'm down for any variance of this feature, but we're asking for someone else to spend their free time to make it.

Ideally the developers would be able to implement everything you want exactly how you wanted it (with options for people who want different).
Realistically, any feature request is appraised and based on it's value it will be allocated a certain amount of the developers' time.
What I was suggesting appeals to efficiency; low cost to the developers while still maintaining the functionality requested (sort of).

I'm not against a scrollbar, nor would I prefer numbers (though that might be a neat option).
By all means, if the developers want to add a scrollbar then so be it; that's good.

Let's get a developer to post in here or something..? See what they have to say about this.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Personally, I don't see a point in it, unless it's draggable.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I figured that's what Durf thought.
Durf wrote:Ideally the developers would be able to implement everything you want exactly how you wanted it (with options for people who want different).
Not too many options. It's the Achilles heel of FLOSS projects. Give everyone little tweaks that don't do much; be unable to choose a good direction and implement it well.
Durf wrote:Realistically, any feature request is appraised and based on it's value it will be allocated a certain amount of the developers' time.
What I was suggesting appeals to efficiency; low cost to the developers while still maintaining the functionality requested (sort of).
Reserve a little bit of space and draw two quads there. Maybe some small infrastructural changes. I don't know how the server browser works, but it's possible it'd be even easier.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I think a much better improvement than this (and I've brought it up before) would be to make it so you can drag the size of the window in windowed mode.

I fyou dunno what I mean, I mean this:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:I think a much better improvement than this (and I've brought it up before) would be to make it so you can drag the size of the window in windowed mode.
I dunno too many games that could resize... But maybe: (click the img to enlarge)
resizeing.png
can anyone come up with a reason for that?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

It has to do with the way that the graphics are generated. When you use a browser, for instance, the software uses standard system libraries to make the window, etc. When you are playing most games, they use graphics libraries that are optimized to render 3d graphics, and lock the window size to a given size. That is why you have to go to a "settings" page to resize the window. It would likely be impossible, or practically impossible to implement what you are asking for. What I do as a practical compromise is play fullscreen, and hit the key I have bound to change from fullscreen to a window size that is small enough to view any other windows on my screen.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Light

Post by Light »

compguygene wrote:It has to do with the way that the graphics are generated. When you use a browser, for instance, the software uses standard system libraries to make the window, etc. When you are playing most games, they use graphics libraries that are optimized to render 3d graphics, and lock the window size to a given size. That is why you have to go to a "settings" page to resize the window. It would likely be impossible, or practically impossible to implement what you are asking for. What I do as a practical compromise is play fullscreen, and hit the key I have bound to change from fullscreen to a window size that is small enough to view any other windows on my screen.
I think a practical way to implement it would be to offer a custom window size in the display settings. As for resizing the window like he wants .. technically possible but dumb.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Live resizing is very possible. People are just too lazy to deal with it.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Jonathan wrote:Live resizing is very possible. People are just too lazy to deal with it.
Last time I looked into it, you have to re-initialize the window everytime it's resized...in OpenGL. In SDL 2D stuff, no problem, that's very easy.

If I'm wrong, I'd be glad to be schooled.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

OpenGL itself has no such limitations, if you allow the default framebuffer to change. I know for a fact it's trivial on OS X. You can not only resize the view but also move the context to a different one. Adjust your viewport and move on. There's really no reason that can't happen. But a lot of code doesn't want to deal with it.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Light

Post by Light »

Jonathan wrote:OpenGL itself has no such limitations, if you allow the default framebuffer to change. I know for a fact it's trivial on OS X. You can not only resize the view but also move the context to a different one. Adjust your viewport and move on. There's really no reason that can't happen. But a lot of code doesn't want to deal with it.
Well, it's open source. You could always offer it up.