Who is this release for?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Who is this release for?

Post by Lucifer »

@Tank: excellent point. ;)

@Word: I didn't intend it to be an ultimatum, but I can definitely see that reading of my post. I have time to spend here, now, which I haven't really had for a few years. But that time is still limited, so my choices on how to spend it amount to basically three choices: Play the game, work on the game, participate here (posting, moderating, etc). Time spent on one of those choices takes time away from both of the other two.

On some level, this question is faced by every software project ever started. In a commercial setting, you define target demographics, setup ad compaigns, and all that stuff. In a non-commercial setting, the question is a bit more intimate, I think.

@blondie: I hadn't heard we'd abandoned xcode in Mac OS. Since the autotools build system is the baseline, and theoretically works in MacOS, perhaps you should follow the Linux build instructions? I sorta gather you've done that already. Next time you make an attempt, come to #armagetron on freenode and if I'm there, I'll assist you however I can.

Wrtlprnft was at the same level of experience as you when he wrote the cockpit, there's no reason you can't get involved in the 0.4 release, and I'll be happy to assist you in any way that I can.

@compguygene: You make a solid point, too. Creative people (or at least people who try to be creative, like me ;) ) definitely take a lot of pleasure in providing some amount of happiness to people. Do I need any other motivation than that?

@Phytotron: I believe I know what you mean about this release being for users, not programmers, but I would like you to elaborate on it....in the 0.4 release thread. ;)

@Monkey: The behavior you talk about has always been in the game, and back when the entire development team + various community leaders were all quite active, we were able to keep that behavior down to a "tolerable" level. But the level of leadership required to continue doing that seems to be lacking at the moment. I'm definitely interested in something in 0.4 that gives server admins much more power to deal with it.

As to your question, I'm not sure what I feel guilty about. I wanted so much more in the 0.3 release series that didn't happen, but the reasons little of it happened were all quite reasonable. At the same time, I'm liking the way the 0.4 version is looking right now, and I think it'll be a pretty solid release on its own. With any luck, getting 0.4 out the door will help attract new blood to the development team, and 0.5 will be a more significant release series. ;)

@Agility: Looking at the tutorials we have now, I think they will have a solid positive effect on the game servers. New players will be coming in that have more than just a little local game experience. Servers will be able to refer new players to specific tutorials they should play in order to become familiar with the server.

I'd add to the list: Would also, hopefully, attract some of the old players back for awhile. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

blondie wrote: But I can't even compile it. I'm on a Mac. I've been told to stay away the Mac Xcode project that comes in the MacOS directory. Ok, I'll stay away.
I struggled some time with compiling it, but I've got it to work after a few tries. And that probably was because I didn't know a lot about compiling source code. There is a sort-a-guideline on compiling on mac on the wiki.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Now you know why I gave up. Any move back to the old ways will alienate all the new players, and forging forward into new realms of rubber I dont think we have the playerbase to survive anymore.

Basically is probably more trouble than its worth, its better to stagnate and enjoy it than to innovate and collapse your own society.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

/dev/null wrote:Now you know why I gave up. Any move back to the old ways will alienate all the new players, and forging forward into new realms of rubber I dont think we have the playerbase to survive anymore.

Basically is probably more trouble than its worth, its better to stagnate and enjoy it than to innovate and collapse your own society.
That's why you do both. Include the option to use either new or old.
I can already see it: RUBBER_MODE 0|1|2 #which rubber code/method to play the game by
Old or new players, it doesn't matter. They can all play on what they like best.

This is just speculation though; like you say, it's probably just a lot of work.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

You spew pointless nonsense. Think about what you say.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

@/dev/null:
How is it nonsensical to appeal to the problem you brought up?
What I suggest would solve the issue:
Any move back to the old ways will alienate all the new players, and forging forward into new realms of rubber I dont think we have the playerbase to survive anymore.
Furthermore, I even agreed with you on this point:
Basically is probably more trouble than its worth
Are you suggesting that agreeing with you is nonsense?
Explain what about what I said is nonsense please (this isn't because of a personal problem, is it?)

Also, no u; you think about what you say.
You post in this thread (and other threads) without being able to say a single thought that is on-topic. Why are you here?

On topic:
I disagree with Phytotron about 0.4 being for players and not developers (programmers). I think given the state the project is in currently, it might be prudent to make it for (new) developers first. As much as players want to see new things added in (don't get me wrong, I do too), that will always be the case for every version release. So my reasoning is that targeting developers with this release will bring about a larger development team, and overall, more work done on the project by the time we get to the NEXT version (0.5?). There are at least a dozen tronners that would like to contribute to the project but overall the process (particularly getting started) has gotten complicated (probably more than is expected to be).
I don't think it will make too large of a difference either way; they say players are going to play, haters are going to hate, as such, developers are going to develop (meaning anyone that would contribute, eventually will).
Overall I mean to suggest that anything that can be done to really clean things up, for others to work on the project, should be done IMO.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Durf wrote:I disagree with Phytotron about 0.4 being for players and not developers (programmers).
Subsequent context suggests you don't even know what the hell I meant by that. Go away.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I don't have to care about what you meant by that ("what you meant" is irrelevant to the "subsequent context").
The "subsequent context" is my reasoning for my position on the matter (make for developers).
Just because I disagree with your overall opinion, it doesn't mean I have the exact opposite reasoning that you do, nor would my overall opinion limit me to that.
No u.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Are you f'ing kidding? "I don't have to care about what you meant...[to] disagree with your overall opinion." Do you not see how none of sense that makes? You basically just said, "I don't care what your actual position is, it doesn't matter, because I can and will make up in my head what I want it to have meant, then disagree with that."

You are unreal.
Attachments
logic.gif
logic.gif (794.98 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

You're such a cynic. I didn't say I don't care. Though you're right I don't. Mostly because of this:
Phytotron wrote:The release should be for players, not for programmers. Since it's not exactly within the topic or scope of this thread I'll leave it at that for now, but can elaborate on what I mean by that later if you want.
And no one asked you to elaborate either. You stated your overall opinion and that was enough.
Phytotron wrote: You basically just said, "I don't care what your actual position is, it doesn't matter, because I can and will make up in my head what I want it to have meant, then disagree with that."
Durf wrote:("what you meant" is irrelevant to the "subsequent context").
The "subsequent context" is my reasoning for my position on the matter (make for developers).
Just because I disagree with your overall opinion, it doesn't mean I have the exact opposite reasoning that you do, nor would my overall opinion limit me to that.
^ I made myself clear. Not everything is about you, get over yourself. Just because I elaborated on my reasoning where you didn't, doesn't mean I assumed what your reasoning was. Like I said, your reasoning is irrelevant to mine. How you came to your conclusion(s) is unrelated to my post(s).

>_>
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Stop the bickering, you two. Three (Phytotron, Durf, /dev/null). From my point of view, you're all talking gibberish on page 2. (With the exception of Durf's "for new devs" paragraph)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

<More bickering, Durf is now on my> Foe list.

:roll:
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I was merely pointing out the obvious, I let the jackassery ride itself.