What it is it going to take to make a .4 stable release?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: What it is it going to take to make a .4 stable release?

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:
Light wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Can you post the scripts you wrote to do all this? I'll use those as the starting point for a buildslave.

Of course, right this minute I'm trying to fix my broke-ass car, so it'll be a bit, but hey, I'm finding time to post here, logic dictates that means I'm finding time again. ;)
I really hate to say it, but at this point, it's not going to do much for you. I had to move a bit of stuff around to make any of this work. I do plan on cleaning it up a little though so I can throw it on my server and set a cronjob to do the dirty work. So, maybe next weekend I can post something more helpful.

I basically just wrote a script to run through the wiki instructions though. The issues I hit were from messing in both wine and Linux builds, but I have a decent start for the next part. My end script is going to do a little more than just build once a week though. I'm going to try keeping up with revisions. My current script already makes sure there's a new revision before doing anything, so I really just need to get this all going as a job.

On the other hand, I may be on the road to doing what you wanted anyways? I could always add uploading to sourceforge into my script, but I have the client and server packaged together and not nearly as many options as were on Z-Man's. I had a couple problems I didn't work out yet with all of that, but right now it's doing the important parts and can make working builds.
Well, making a buildslave is really just translating to Buildbot's api, all in Python. Also, the build master handles checking for changes and telling the buildslaves when to build, and even goes so far as to send the changes to the slaves. If you want to go that route, I'll re-prioritize the buildbot.

Ultimately, build uploads from the buildbot will be on it's own webpage, and whenever we get it up running and stable, it'll basically be the new place for test builds.
Oh, I didn't realize you had all of that in mind. I don't use Python, but getting the changes (description from bzr) would be easy to add. If you are talking about explicit changes .. I don't think I'm gonna get that far into it.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:Oh, I didn't realize you had all of that in mind. I don't use Python, but getting the changes (description from bzr) would be easy to add. If you are talking about explicit changes .. I don't think I'm gonna get that far into it.
Don't worry too much about adding stuff like that, especially when buildbot handles that stuff automagically. Just, uh, when you get a script that works in a cronjob, can you send it to me so I can use it to make a buildslave? You know, whenever I get back to that? ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:
Light wrote:Oh, I didn't realize you had all of that in mind. I don't use Python, but getting the changes (description from bzr) would be easy to add. If you are talking about explicit changes .. I don't think I'm gonna get that far into it.
Don't worry too much about adding stuff like that, especially when buildbot handles that stuff automagically. Just, uh, when you get a script that works in a cronjob, can you send it to me so I can use it to make a buildslave? You know, whenever I get back to that? ;)
Sure. And my script would be grabbing that automatically as well, because I am not gonna go copy/paste every time I update. lol But yeah, when I get things together so they can run on a server, I'll be happy to post my findings. Just be aware that the only way I could make it work was by changing things around a little, but that might settle a bit when I go to set it up from scratch. This time through was a bunch of trial and error, but I was happy to finally get it working.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

have not ready everything here, but there are definitely things from sty+cy or ct's trunk based repo worth using. DELAYED_COMMAND being one.

Also can we switch to git?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

kyle wrote:have not ready everything here, but there are definitely things from sty+cy or ct's trunk based repo worth using. DELAYED_COMMAND being one.

Also can we switch to git?
Can't promise a switch to git.

Can you make a list of what's in there? As in, do you know what all is in there and are willing to make the list? Also, after having such a list, when we start picking which ones to take, would you be willing to make a patch for each one? (It's easier to merge one patch at a time, but I realize that may not be possible) I'm personally willing to drop my purity standards a bit to get good stuff for this release, but will still reject anything that's sloppy or too hacky. Unless it's relatively easy for me to fix it. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
kyle

Post by kyle »

Yes I'll try to make a list, I may just make a branch off of 0.4 and reapply the stuff there so it can be easily merged.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Lucifer wrote:* SDL2 support. Apparently this is a thing. Add to it: https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GetPowerInfo as a data source for cockpits. Also, having re-read this thread, is there an OpenBSD port of SDL2 or are we going to have to try to support SDL1.3 for platforms that don't have SDL2 yet?
From what I have read, it seems that OpenBSD's SDL2 port is now working properly. Unfortunately, I can't check this using Arma because Arma crashes on startup, as explained in the following thread:
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 19#p296319
Any help on fixing that issue would be appreciated :)
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

If I can turn this thread back toward the cockpit-branch for a moment, Durf was trying out my new design and found that loading a cockpit through the console created some pretty bad widget placement. He goes on to say:
D-Man wrote:it seems tho, when you load a cockpit from the console, it will apply the cockpit as if you had a normal ratio, and anything too high will get placed off screen.

This is what I had to do:
full screen ratio, object is placed at Y = 0.4
wide screen ratio, object placed at Y = 0.1

So loading from console it seems to cut off 0.3 units from the visible screen, like it slaps in the cockpit regardless of aspect ratio.

Starting up from tron however, on a widescreen display, 0.4 is near the top, and visible! whereas 0.1 is farther down.
Just passing on this info in case anyone gets inspired to play around with that branch. I've also noticed the cockpit breaking when I toggle from full-screen (16:10) to windowed (4:3), but I imagine that's one of the pending fixes.
stro_ngsson

Post by stro_ngsson »

kyle wrote:Yes I'll try to make a list, I may just make a branch off of 0.4 and reapply the stuff there so it can be easily merged.
That would be nice.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

I noticed a Filters feature on the internet multiplayer list and was going to try it, but it does not accept any keyboard input here.
Also, I noticed sometimes it doesn't like to allow you to enter a password when logging into a global ID (workaround: just hit up to username and hit down again and it should start working again.)

Both are related to keyboard input and probably have some same root cause.
Light

Post by Light »

aP|Nelg wrote:I noticed a Filters feature on the internet multiplayer list and was going to try it, but it does not accept any keyboard input here.
This was definitely working in previous versions, but I've realized it not working as well. Hoped it was working in newer releases since I don't update as often as I should, but it would be nice to have back.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Nelg wrote:Also, I noticed sometimes it doesn't like to allow you to enter a password when logging into a global ID (workaround: just hit up to username and hit down again and it should start working again.)
This happens to me too except that it's everytime, not just sometimes. The workaround works for me too btw.
Playing since December 2006
kyle

Post by kyle »

Monkey wrote:
Nelg wrote:Also, I noticed sometimes it doesn't like to allow you to enter a password when logging into a global ID (workaround: just hit up to username and hit down again and it should start working again.)
This happens to me too except that it's everytime, not just sometimes. The workaround works for me too btw.
me too, I know at one point it was not an issue. It became an issue over a year ago sometime before September 13, 2015.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Confirmed the filter bug. It's probably SDL2 related. Annoyingly, what also broke in SDL2 is the debug recording of entering text in text menu entries in general, so I'd better fix that first.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The new SDL_TEXTINPUT event type was simply not handled correctly for recordings and the server filter. It's new in SDL2 and I also have just learned of its existence.