Armagetron on the Raspberry Pi

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Armagetron on the Raspberry Pi

Post by Tank Program »

Hi everyone. It's been a while. Good news/bad news. I've had my viva, submitted my corrections, and am set to graduate in July. (You may soon call me Dr. Program.) A rather busy time these past few months, but I had a few moments over Christmas to port Armagetron to the Raspberry Pi. Happy (very late) 10th anniversary forums! Unfortunately, I'm now busy writing some papers based on my thesis and scrambling for money to pay for living while writing papers. Expect to fade into the woodwork again in a few days.

Anyway. Introducing Armapitron. Thanks to Voodoo for the original work porting to OpenGL ES.
Tre
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Armagetron on the Raspberry Pi

Post by Tre »

That's awesome tank! Good luck!

Maybe I need to get a raspberry pi now…
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

What a terrible April Fools joke. You have really lost your touch, Tank. I can't believe you made a whole website for an actual project instead of a fake project. What a disappointment.

:wink: Just kidding. Glad to see you stop by for your annual visit. While you are at it, maybe update the main site's news section with your project? See you again in 12 months!
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Armpittron!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

voodoo
Core Dumper

Post by voodoo »

Cool! Happy this gles thing helps... It was a raw port of immediate calls to vertex arrays which can explain the fps issue as number of triangles to send to the graphic card goes up each round. VBOs should help but it's a bit of work especially for cycle walls (infinite walls can be split at regular vertices packet size to maximize static vbo and limit video memory exchanges. But limited wall size is probably trickier.)... Makes me wonder how fast it would run on modern phone/tablet ...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Sigh, what a sad response to April Fool's this year... Maybe it was a bit complex creating something real, trying to trick people into thinking it was fake? Oh well.

Voodoo, I'm not entirely certain to what extent it's really the GL calls limiting performance. Turning on and off floor mirroring doesn't really affect things much, which if it was a strict matter of the calls I think it would. It may actually be the assembly of the matrices each frame that causes the performance hit. Maybe one day I'll look into it. In the meantime there's something interesting to play with for those of us with Pis... :)