Let's make the official resource repository useful again

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Let's make the official resource repository useful again

Post by Lucifer »

LOVER$BOY wrote: @Lucifer: Hello Lucifer, fancy seeing you here :)
Yes, I do show up here from time to time. :)
Sure but I do not have a GPL Free License for it yet. It is like this:

Code: Select all

<one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
    Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
If it is, can you tell me how I would apply it to my codes since I don't think it's a simple "COPY" and "PASTE".
It is a simple matter of copy and paste. Copy and paste that text to the top of every source file involved, and use whatever commenting system the language needs to comment it out. I believe php uses C++ style comments.

Additionally, create a file called LICENSE in the root directory of the source, and copy and paste the entire text for the GPLv2 into it, save it, and make it part of the source.

As long as you're the only person who's put code into it, that should suffice.

Make sure you use the language that says "GPLv2 or any higher version", because that's what arma's under, and you want to match that license. We can't move to GPLv3 or higher because so much code was written by other people who licensed it as GPLv2 or higher.

Largely irrelevant. The easiest thing to do is copy and paste the same text from Arma itself, and just change the names. If you have to change the comments (I don't think you will) so PHP will see it as comments, do that. Otherwise, just grab any source file for arma and use the GPL headers it has.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

So it would look something like this I guess:

Code: Select all

/*

Armagetron Advanced - Alpha Project Website
Copyright (C) 2012-2013  Vijay Kakani ([email protected])

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

*/
Ok I've placed LICENSE.txt in all the places I've coded and it's under GPLv2 license, so no worries :)

Currently resource browser doesn't have the ability to display config files (*.CFG). Would you like me to code that in as well? I was meaning to for a while but, what with all of the work I had to go through these last few weeks I was unable to. :/

Ok. I've committed the changes to my launchpad branch of my "original" website. IT doesn't the latest hacks that Durf did to my website to enhance it but that's merely to enhance my website, not the code I started off with. Anyway here's the link to my branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~zodiacsohma ... ex_website

Alright! This is getting interesting... :D
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Just keep in mind it takes two of us evil triumvirs to make this decision. So we're waiting for Z-man to come and have his say (since Tank is fairly unreliable these days).

Yes, that looks about right.

As for what features to add, add whatever you want. At a certain point, let's say hypothetically Z-man comes along and talks me out of my proposal (if he simply opposes me, we have dead lock and have to get Tank to come and resolve it, which could take some time, so assume he talks me out of it completely). You still have your repository, and you can still put enough features on it to make it the de facto resource repository, even if it lacks officialness from us. You've already done good work on it, so hang in there and we'll see what we can do.

But this isn't a decision I can make by myself. It takes another vote from either Tank or Z-man to be made. You're welcome to PM Z-man, keeping in mind his PSA thread and what that could easily mean about what he's up to right now.

Also, my proposal is no reason to stop other discussion on the subject. Y'all should continue working on your preferred feature list.

- Iron Maiden
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I totally understand the decision making chain of commands and the features. I'll just wait for an answer since I'm in no hurry myself :)

I'll add what features I can think off and commit them. Just like anything I do, I'll do what I can for this. I've thought of doing some thing but haven't yet. Maybe I'll get cracking on them soon :)

Yes sure. Here is my current armaauth check system which I constantly use on my website: http://vertrex.tk/global/
Code: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~zodiacsohm ... /index.php

I know kyle said he's got his "GLOBAL GID LOGIN" working but since I have no clue how he is doing it, I'll just stick with mine. Especially since mine is stable and follows exactly how it is coded within the game. Sure this is only based but I've coded it so it is nearly similar to how it is in the game when users do "/login {username}@<authority> :) I'm sure kyle, Z-Man or any programmer could verify that if they take a good look at the code (I spent hours digging that code up) :)
Last edited by LOVER$BOY on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

Lucifer wrote:I'm sure I can talk Neal into running a mirror, depending on bandwidth usage, of course. Hell, he'll probably volunteer. Neal's server is quite reliable. I know because I do a lot of the admin stuff on it.
And its up to the latest LTS release! :D

I could run a mirror, or hell even the main repo if necessary. I may be upgrading the server shortly to another provider soon though, so that will need to be tested.

Of course this is after the Evil Ones come up with a majority.
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I found Luke-Jr on another forum, and PM'ed him there. Looks like he just doesn't care anymore. Also, why can't the website remain at resource.armagetronad.net rather than redirecting to luke's dashjr website?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Well, he's now the king of bitcoin.

http://mineforeman.com/2013/04/02/luke- ... oin-miner/
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:But this isn't a decision I can make by myself. It takes another vote from either Tank or Z-man to be made. You're welcome to PM Z-man, keeping in mind his PSA thread and what that could easily mean about what he's up to right now.
Back from vacation! And done with Cookie Clicker. And our company moved (just one level down). And I approve of this plan. Wanted to have a look at Loverboy's repository code anyway (see other thread I have permanently open to remind me).

In the slightly longer run, I'd like to change the way clients get and cache resources, though. It makes little sense for them to go over some third party repository which may be down or the server may be misconfigured and tell clients to download the wrong thing. Clients should get the critical resources directly from the game server over the game server protocol so that always works 100% whenever the game server is working. And for storage, we should not rely on the resource path. A hash over the contents should be used instead/in addition. But that's a project for another year.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:In the slightly longer run, I'd like to change the way clients get and cache resources, though. It makes little sense for them to go over some third party repository which may be down or the server may be misconfigured and tell clients to download the wrong thing. Clients should get the critical resources directly from the game server over the game server protocol so that always works 100% whenever the game server is working. And for storage, we should not rely on the resource path. A hash over the contents should be used instead/in addition. But that's a project for another year.
I've thought the same thing. It doesn't make much sense to me for them to have to use a resource when the server has it right there. It only makes sense if you bring into consideration bandwidth usage, but it's not going to make a difference there for most hosts.

This was a problem for me in a past thread when I posted about the timeout while the main resource was down. When it doesn't find the CFG file on my resource, it searches there, but when it's down, it times out and the server either ends up timing out users, booting them, or simply shutting itself down and getting rebooted from the script.

The temporary solution I used was to just send out 0 byte files, but it's not the nicest solution. As far as I know, it hasn't had another downtime like that since though. It would be nice if you could disable that backup check to the main resource when a file returns 404 on the set resource.

Maybe the users and server both time out for the same reason and the reboot was simply from all players leaving? I don't know .. I figure doing something with that would allow us to at least be able to ignore the downtime, for those of us using an alternative resource.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Z-Man wrote:Clients should get the critical resources directly from the game server over the game server protocol so that always works 100% whenever the game server is working. And for storage, we should not rely on the resource path. A hash over the contents should be used instead/in addition. But that's a project for another year.
My only problem with this is for a few maps the server side map is different than the client side map, would it still be able to send the map from a different resource path?
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Z-Man wrote:Back from vacation! And done with Cookie Clicker. And our company moved (just one level down). And I approve of this plan. Wanted to have a look at Loverboy's repository code anyway (see other thread I have permanently open to remind me).
Welcome back and great! So, what's next? :)
Z-Man wrote:In the slightly longer run, I'd like to change the way clients get and cache resources, though. It makes little sense for them to go over some third party repository which may be down or the server may be misconfigured and tell clients to download the wrong thing. Clients should get the critical resources directly from the game server over the game server protocol so that always works 100% whenever the game server is working. And for storage, we should not rely on the resource path. A hash over the contents should be used instead/in addition. But that's a project for another year.
Yes, that's an excellent idea which I've thought off presently when I was implementing my custom shorthand code. I didn't implement because the main resource isn't properly functional yet... :/

Ok. So, let me get this straight. When the server/client find the map is not stored locally, it will download like this: map_hash.xml ?
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

So what happens next?
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, I added LOVER$BOY to the Armagetron Advanced Development Team.

Next: you need to branch your vertrex_website and remove all the vertrex branding that's probably in there. Basically, change the branding to match Arma's branding, and preferably make it more modular when you do it (so that when people run mirrors, they can do their own branding, it'll be the way you maintain your current vertrex branding after all this is done). Then point me to the branch and that'll be where we start from.

I'm probably going to create it as a separate project, but I haven't figured out if it's possible to make it owned by Armagetron Advanced Administrators. I only just now noticed that I own the whole project on Launchpad, heh. :) Anyway, I'm not seeing a way to have subprojects in launchpad, so I'm still looking at how to do that. This doesn't fit in the same classification as ZThread-AA, which we forked because ZThreads was no longer maintained. For that, it's generally useful to other people. But the resource server is only useful for us. Of course, we could try to make it generally useful for other games, I don't know that there's a resource distribution mechanism that can be considered generally useful for any game yet.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions on how to get this organized on Launchpad. I seem to have forgotten how to use it, heh.

Edit: I would have added him to the Website Developers, but I saw no projects associated with them. Does that mean the website code isn't in launchpad yet?

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:Edit: I would have added him to the Website Developers, but I saw no projects associated with them. Does that mean the website code isn't in launchpad yet?
I think they are, but as a regular branch in the main project.

This should be just that, too.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Edit: I would have added him to the Website Developers, but I saw no projects associated with them. Does that mean the website code isn't in launchpad yet?
I think they are, but as a regular branch in the main project.

This should be just that, too.
I'll take another look in a bit, now that my brain's working slightly better (been a bit under the weather the last couple of days).

- Iron Maiden