Disabling windows key

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Bytes
Round Winner

Disabling windows key

Post by Bytes »

Hey guys, I'm having some problems occidentally hitting the windows key so I wanted to be able to turn it off when in full window mode.

This seems to be the things I want but wanted to see what I should be doing with it as it doesn't have instructions of where to put it. I assume it goes somewhere in the registry?

If anyone can give me some advice or an alternative method that would be much appreciated. I do want to be able to use the windows key when not in full screen applications as I'm running windows 8 (I like it, no comments) and it's a pretty vital thing to have. Also if anyone knows whether this fix would come into play when using windows 8 apps that would be a help as I don't really want it affecting them but not sure if this code would distinguish.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Disabling windows key

Post by Z-Man »

Bytes wrote:I assume it goes somewhere in the registry?
Nope, it's C++ code. It would need to go into the application. Looks like it could be copied/pasted into our code relatively easy. Is this a thing we want generally? I personally sometimes use the Windows key intentionally to get out of applications, so I don't know.

Anyway, you probably were rather looking for this. That's a quick registry hack you can do. You do have to manually activate/deactivate it, though, there can be no "only turn this off if fullscreen games are running" mechanism.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Is it not just as easy to alt+tab out of arma?
Or could you set it as one of those misc settings to toggle on the code if you want it?

Just throwing out ideas.

I'd probably prefer not to have to manually change it all the time, I don't think I do it enough to warrant that kind of dedication.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

My keyboard can disable the windows key in a second but I never use it as I don't have sausage fingers :star: :star: :star:
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Well I don't ha- STFU! :P
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Hoax wrote:My keyboard can disable the windows key in a second but I never use it as I don't have sausage fingers :star: :star: :star:
Ditto. Function key + gaming mode :D
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Please don't allow Arma to disable super-keys. Bytes, just learn not to "occidentally" hit the key. It seems like you could practice paying more attention overall...
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

You going to give a reason sine?
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

In Gnome 3 super key already does nothing while AA is in fullscreen. Maybe try coming over to the Linux side of tron. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Bytes wrote:You going to give a reason sine?
Sure, because I use the super-key all the time. It does a lot and I would rather not have a program interfere with the functionality of my operating system and my user experience just because some people are uncoordinated.

If it's such a problem, why don't you pry the key off your keyboard and be done with it? Take responsibility. Be a hacker. Mod your hardware for the game.

Or, you know, just change your key-bindings. With the amount of customization available in Armagetron I can't see any reason to remove functionality (yes, disabling the key is an intrusion, not an enhancement).
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I'm not asking for it to be an on only solution, I asked for it to be toggled if at all, I have asked for other fix ideas and as I'm not a pro hacker I asked for help on here. Believe it or not I like the key binding I use. As I mentioned I do use the windows key all the time when I'm not playing full screen games.

@Light I used to play with linux but alas, going to uni in the summer and I'm gonna need to have MS office on it so with the new laptop I'm just sticking with the win 8 loaded on it.
Light

Post by Light »

Bytes wrote:@Light I used to play with linux but alas, going to uni in the summer and I'm gonna need to have MS office on it so with the new laptop I'm just sticking with the win 8 loaded on it.
I use Libre Office. Works fine .. Also compatible with MS files.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I really tried to like libre office, I really did. But it just isn't the same, especially lacking a program to fit in where publisher is. Plus the speed difference had been massively reduced with how fast win 8 boots up, which was a large reason I went with Mint 12 over win 7.
I'll probably go back to Linux at some point in the future, but not for a while.
Light

Post by Light »

Bytes wrote:I really tried to like libre office, I really did. But it just isn't the same, especially lacking a program to fit in where publisher is. Plus the speed difference had been massively reduced with how fast win 8 boots up, which was a large reason I went with Mint 12 over win 7.
I'll probably go back to Linux at some point in the future, but not for a while.
Why is it one or the other? Install as many different OS's as your heart desires, and use whichever you want at the time. :P Win for school, Linux for play. Well, that's assuming you don't got a tiny HDD.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I think this is a good idea. It should, however, be optional for the grumpy old men like sinewav.