Good News: Android Port

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
aperion

Re: Good News: Android Port

Post by aperion »

Thank you for publishing software under the GPL!
Can you please make the application available through https://f-droid.org/
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I really wish Androgetron was actively developed. So much potential there. If only the AI were smarter and there were some size/speed type options. And state saving! Really, the only competition on Android is GLTron (again), and those dozen GLTron ports are all more fun to play. Androgetron has way better cycle control and dynamics though. I feel like it is 2002 all over again with the big rivalry between the two top lightcycle games.
atn_2001

Post by atn_2001 »

I know that this thread is old, but where can I get the source
code?
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Now with shitty wifi and crappy cellphone lag! Makin the game better!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I just looked into making a library similar to wine that would bridge all the xlib dependent apps to android and found out what the problem with Android is: it's not POSIX compatible. In particular, the dynamic linking is a hack, and the c library is broken. Also, Java is the supported language for Android.

So in talking about a rewrite from scratch, if you want to target Android and iOS, find a Java game engine. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

/dev/null wrote:Now with shitty wifi and crappy cellphone lag! Makin the game better!
What about tablets hooked up to eithernet via the miniusb port?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I'm sure if someone does it, you'll have a mention somewhere.
/dev/null wrote:Now with shitty wifi and crappy cellphone lag! Makin the game better!
Ten times better already if you happen to not own one Piece of shit.
assaindan
Average Program

Post by assaindan »

Before i read this alll, waiiiit is this a thing??? I can legit play on my android now?
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

assaindan wrote:Before i read this alll, waiiiit is this a thing??? I can legit play on my android now?
It was posted as an April Fools one year...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

My son saw this last night and fell for it. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
oliverdj

Post by oliverdj »

Yesterday I have downloadedwhatsapp plus Androgetron2 from play store and when I trying to install the app say's this version is not compatible with this device. I am using Android 10
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Downloading it is not enough, you have to connect your device (smartphone/tablet) to a radiator using a micro-usb or usb-c to radiator cable. It connects to the port on the radiator (which doubles as an air bleeding hole). Then put on your tin foil hat and Bob's your uncle.
Playing since December 2006
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

oliverdj wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:51 am Yesterday I have downloadedwhatsapp plus Androgetron2 from play store and when I trying to install the app say's this version is not compatible with this device. I am using Android 10
Jokes aside, this was an April Fools from many years ago. If you are expecting Armagetron, I'm afraid you'll be more than slightly disappointed by the app's offering. It lacks all of the key functionality that makes Armagetron... well, Armagetron. If memory serves, it's even more limited than the many glTron clones also available from the Google Play store.

I wouldn't have minded poking around the source (of Androgetron) a bit, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Meh.

---
Not to plug myself (too much), but the web game here (which is/was also a slight April Fools joke, except from Yours Truly :P) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38208 resembles Armagetron a bit more, and doesn't require installing anything. It should Just Work™ in any reasonably modern browser, and it does offer (very limited) touchscreen support, as in you can turn and even brake (IIRC).

And yes, it supports networking, but its not compatible with Armagetron. The default "Custom Connect" details DO point to a server, but it's quite glitchy and I think the settings loaded are either Styball or CTF, because those two things were some of the last things I was working when I last touched the project.
GodYato

Post by GodYato »

sinewav wrote: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am I really wish Androgetron was actively developed. So much potential there. If only the AI were smarter and there were some size/speed type options. And state saving! Really, the only competition on Android is GLTron (again), and those dozen GLTron ports are all more fun to play. Androgetron has way better cycle control and dynamics though. I feel like it is 2002 all over again with the big rivalry between the two top lightcycle games.
Me too, Androgetron is one of the best game ever.
immortalGoku1452

Post by immortalGoku1452 »

sinewav wrote: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am I really wish Androgetron was actively developed. So much potential there. If only the AI were smarter and there were some size/speed type options. And state saving! Really, the only competition on Android is GLTron (again), and those dozen GLTron ports are all more fun to play. Androgetron has way better cycle control and dynamics though. I feel like it is 2002 all over again with the big rivalry between the two top lightcycle games.
Well said. GLTron has its own gameplay though they share the similar gameplay. But I love the Androgetron more than anything. I wish someone actually developer it and it comes on Android one day.