windowed fullscreen mode, do we need it?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

windowed fullscreen mode, do we need it?

Post by AI-team »

I added a new window mode that allows you to run the game in a fake-fullscreen mode (it's actually windowed mode without any borders) and use your mouse on another monitor.
Because I'm pretty sure that there's only going to be a handful of people who might use this, I made sure that using your fullscreen toggle key only toggles between fullscreen and windowed mode, but not this new third mode.

My question is, is this worth adding to 0.4 or is there not really a need for it?

edit: another thing I forgot to mention is that when you're in windowed fullscreen and you press the toggle key, it takes you to normal windowed mode.
Attachments
windowMode.patch.txt
remove the .txt
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Re: windowed fullscreen mode, do we need it?

Post by XzL.Smart »

Oh god, thank you so much! I've just been using an external program to do this for the past 3 years
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

XzL.Smart wrote:Oh god, thank you so much! I've just been using an external program to do this for the past 3 years
Glad you find it useful. If you want to use it right away, without having to wait for it to be merged to the mainline, feel free to download it

edit: just replace your current exe with this one

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I do like this too, even though I'm not using multiple monitors at the moment, this patch makes alt-tabbing between fullscreen Armagetron and other stuff much smoother on my Windows system. Without it my monitor flickers for a while before switching (this is normal for many fullscreen games/programs for me, not an Armagetron bug, and no, it doesn't change screen resolutions at the switch, where that behaviour is normal), with this mode it doesn't. Which is good because I alt-tab often :P. The performance doesn't suffer either as far as I noticed, with a framerate equal to fullscreen's.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Will be integrated, thanks. Whether it'll be in this form or as a different video mode in the resolution list, I don't know yet.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Will be integrated, thanks. Whether it'll be in this form or as a different video mode in the resolution list, I don't know yet.
You definitely shouldn't put it in a cycle with the fullscreen button.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

I love you...so much right now. Had a problem where I couldn't open itunes and armagetron while in fullscreen, had to restart my computer every time :/
Boxed
Light

Post by Light »

Clutch wrote:I love you...so much right now. Had a problem where I couldn't open itunes and armagetron while in fullscreen, had to restart my computer every time :/
Linux, Tron, and GTK Pod. I don't understand your problem. :P
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Light wrote:
Clutch wrote:I love you...so much right now. Had a problem where I couldn't open itunes and armagetron while in fullscreen, had to restart my computer every time :/
What?
Boxed
Light

Post by Light »

Clutch wrote:
Light wrote:
What?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCy8MpT45gk
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Z-Man wrote:Will be integrated, thanks. Whether it'll be in this form or as a different video mode in the resolution list, I don't know yet.
Alright, great to hear :)

AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

I just checked the latest revisions and still doesn't seem to be in the game yet ;)

delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Is it not possible to have a fullscreen app running with a released mouse? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere before, it's a C script thing AFAICR
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

well how is that different to my implementation?

dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Perhaps we should just use SDL2, which has better support for multiple monitors?

In your patch, you use SDL_NOFRAME which still requires OS-specific behavior to be implemented—well at least on OS X it did. The Application menu and the dock are still shown, so you need to hide them. With SDL2, you just create the window with the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP flag.