Headsets, as opposed to chat !

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Headsets, as opposed to chat !

Post by ConVicT »

Wouldn't it be an amazing addition to the game if we could team chat on headsets in game types like fort.
So instead of saying Def Ok!/Def Down!, we could shout it to one another.
Doesn't that sound like an exciting prospect ?

I realise there would be trolls shouting in my ear a lot (Guaranteed) but that's what "Player Police/Silence Player" is for. .
This is the next step to improving the game, i think.

What do y'all think about this?
Last edited by ConVicT on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Re: Headsets, as opposed to chat !

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Well, this is an interesting prospect...
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I would just like to add that, i'm not suggesting they should be mandatory, but i think players whithout headsets should be able to hear players talk, and just reply as usual in chat.

It would just be fun to hear people speak in their language/accents...... See if they can understand what i'm saying as well, seeing as i'm Scottish :)
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

So you mean like how PS3, XBox and the other platforms have live voice over chat enabled in their console system?

That will be interesting but wouldn't that slightly cause lag or something if the programmers find a way to implement such a system? Or even a delay in what they say and what we hear.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I'm not too clued up on all this stuff if i'm honest but, if it manages to send the sound of another player's cycle
(without lag), then why not their voice as well?

I'm probably sounding like a total noob, when it comes to this sort of thing, but do you see where i'm coming from at least? lol
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Well the sound of the cycles are transmitted to you through the sound file in your data source (I believe). All the server/client is doing is receiving their movement data and then transmitting it to sound as we hear it.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Well as i said. I'm not too clued up on this stuff and also, it shouldn't be mandatory, but as an option.
The same way that sound all together is an option, or even chat is an option. So what i'm saying is if it causes u lag then, turn it off and you wouldn't have lag any more, but if u have a decent connection then u could use it. It would just be nice if that option was available :) I'm sure it would be used even if the player had to deal with some lag.
I know i would use it :D
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Well, I was thinking of using an alternative... like for instance hosting a mumble chat room and people could enter it and start chatting with each other...

That's an easy option but again, I too am considering trying out in the code and see where it leads. I am certain it won't be easy but it'll be pretty amazing if it can be done :D
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Well i know (and you probably know yourself|), it can be done. The question is. Can you do it :)
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

We'll see... I guess we'll just have to wait for the other programmers to respond to this.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

This thread is a discussion about integrating the Mumble framework into Arma. Interest was shown, but we couldn't get a dev to work on it without a financial incentive. There is already a public TeamSpeak server for Armagetron.
Last edited by sinewav on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Go grab Mumble and shout eachother out. Armagetron is not becoming a VOIP chat application anytime soon, sorry.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Look at World of Tanks. They have built-in chat features, but when I tried to use it my ping jumped from 30 to 180. There are other significant issues with in-game chat, such as performance, adding it into the program we already have (remember that servers are strict on what programs can access them - for instance you cannot access CTWF with tr2n origins), even compatibility. Plus, what's the point? about 10% of armagetron players use it, or would even consider using it.
SoulOfSet
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by SoulOfSet »

Meh. Twould be simpler just use use another chat program like teamspeak or mumble.