How about implementing the * chat icon ingame?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: How about implementing the * chat icon ingame?

Post by Phytotron »

nux wrote:Oh really? Then how do you explain this?
New to 0.4? I've never known switching to a different application's window to cause one's client to go into chatbot mode.
"We" as in developers (although not necessarily for Arma) and "you" as in whoever talks crap about a feature they dont personally find useful.
Wow, you think rather highly of yourself, don't you? Just who the hell do you think you are? I don't think you understand how this project works. Again, for whom do you believe this game is developed, and how is it you've deigned yourself unassailable royalty?

And how is any of this "talking crap" or any of the other hyperbolic characterizations you've made? What's your problem?
there is no need to bring LOVER$BOY's contribution down
If you hadn't noticed, we're not even addressing his contribution (backporting); we're addressing this chat icon thing, whomever implemented it. And there has always been discussion of the development of this game, of all manner of functionality and features, and that includes criticism. I don't know what deluded alternate reality you come from where you believe that you or whomever else is not allowed to be criticised.
I'm pretty sure the majority of tronners would agree that they're not focused on someone talking, and the point of the matter is that like it's already been said, most people can tell when someone is chatting via chat on their screen.
This is pure speculation; if in doubt, read the first 3 words.
Yes, but your assertions from on self-presumed high about what the lowly people (who aren't allowed to think for themselves or give feedback) do want isn't speculation. I understand now. :roll:

Where do you get this overblown sense of importance about yourself? As well, your fragile sensitivity? Uppity twit.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Wow... guys let's all calm down right now.

No need for the harsh language there Phytotron. We all have different opinions on matters that we consider important to "us".
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

This discussion has just gotten out of hand.

This IS a feature in .4, the only real question, as far as I can tell, is if any of the devs have an interest in taking the code that Loverboy has made and backporting it. All the other discussion as to the merits of this feature seem to be moot with it being a feature in the next version of Armagetron.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

compguygene wrote:This IS a feature in .4, the only real question, as far as I can tell, is if any of the devs have an interest in taking the code that Loverboy has made and backporting it. All the other discussion as to the merits of this feature seem to be moot with it being a feature in the next version of Armagetron.
True, but we can still discuss it. :) I will point out that before I made my initial post, I first waited for the subject to resolve (it did; they don't back port this kind of thing), then checked to see if there was already a thread about this chat icon thing (I thought I recalled commenting on it before, but that was about the *DEAD* thing, which I also think is equally stupid and superfluous). There wasn't one that I could find, so I just made a comment about the feature itself here. Why not?

And can someone confirm whether putting the Arma window in the background will automatically put you in chatbot mode? I haven't gotten to the point of figuring out how to install 0.4 on Ubuntu (not going to bother with Windows), so can't check it myself.
LOVER$BOY wrote:Wow... guys let's all calm down right now.
I was perfectly calm until nux started slinging his uppity snot everywhere.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Phytotron wrote: And can someone confirm whether putting the Arma window in the background will automatically put you in chatbot mode?
From past experience of switching windows, when you change windows, from say Arma to Skype, I believe it does put you into chatbot until you come back.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

If the Arma window is not onFocus, then you automatically go into either chatbot or idle mode.

That's how it has been since 2006 (I believe).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Hmm, I've never had that happen—not on the Mac versions, and not using 0.2.8.3.1 in Ubuntu. If I switch application windows, it does not go into chatbot mode. Am I missing something?
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Maybe it happens like that on the Linux side but I know for sure that it definitely goes into chat more or idle mode when my arma window is not onFocus.