Switching from Zthreads to SDL_Threads or Pthreads

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
h4zard
On Lightcycle Grid

Switching from Zthreads to SDL_Threads or Pthreads

Post by h4zard »

Hate to create a new topic for this but since I have free time I figured I'd contribute to what has to be my favorite game of all time. How much work would it be to switch from zthreads to sdl_threads or pthreads ?, I have experience with sdl_threads but I haven't read through all of the source yet and figured a more prominent project developer would know what parts of the system utilizes zthreads? ,well besides authentication.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Switching from Zthreads to SDL_Threads or Pthreads

Post by AI-team »

0.4 already got ported from zthread to boost::thread

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

h4zard
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by h4zard »

I meant as far as 0.2.8 unless 0.4 has a sty+ct in which case I don't have a problem with using that so long as 0.2.8 clients won't be excluded.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Except for exceptional cases, there will be no more updates on 0.2.8, so there is no reason we would invest time into refactoring it to use boost::threads.
h4zard
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by h4zard »

Meant I would do the work epsy I just wanted to know how much threads are utilized and how much time and effort would I have to invest to refactor it to something more easily accessible and more common.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's not much code to adapt, but threading is a very, very touchy issue. Even our code doesn't work 100% of the time. I would not want to integrate changes from non-members there.
(We do have a pthreads layer on 0.2.8, too, but it is untested and likely to be broken.)
h4zard
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by h4zard »

I understand Z-man, though I do have a good bit of experience with threading, would the developement team, mind if I were to redistribute it after I get it working, if I put a disclaimer that it would in no way be supported by you guys and that its not an official release ?

The main reason I want to do this is because 0.4 does not have the sty+ct Respawn patches yet.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

h4zard wrote:I understand Z-man, though I do have a good bit of experience with threading, would the developement team, mind if I were to redistribute it after I get it working, if I put a disclaimer that it would in no way be supported by you guys and that its not an official release ?
If anybody had a problem with that, it wouldn't be protected by the GPL.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
h4zard
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by h4zard »

ahh wasn't aware of that Lucifer, then again I never checked so I'm at fault there ;p, once 0.4 gets the sty respawn system if it does I'll be one happy tronner ;p