WHen will we get this?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dkiller
On Lightcycle Grid

WHen will we get this?

Post by dkiller »

comon mans, they're sooo far ahead of us now..

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_game ... bxlaz.html

/me tried to download GLtron but only got stupid pr0n

so, yeah, i totally get it if it will never happen, but has it been thought of before? Tron on the iOS or Android market would be pretty neat.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: WHen will we get this?

Post by sinewav »

dkiller wrote:...but has it been thought of before?
Dozens of times. So often, I don't even want to bother pointing to all the places on the forum this has been mentioned. There is even an experimental port for the iPhone somewhere.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

AI-Team is trying to port Tron to Java, meaning it would run on Android. You can go help him.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Eek. I think waiting for SDL 1.3 and porting to that is the way to go.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

nux wrote:AI-Team is trying to port Tron to Java, meaning it would run on Android. You can go help him.
Yep, as soon as I get my tablet, I will actually start working on that (will take a bunch of time tho)

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

arilou
Average Program

Post by arilou »

Arma would be be particularly nice on the Android tablets with keyboards e.g. Asus Tranformer Prime or Zenbook. Android 3.2 apps seem to be more feature rich than ones by iPad. Anyone tried the new Netflix app for ipad? It looks like they ported the older Android version to the ipad os, but on the ipad the application isn't as seamless and tends to hang. Also, so many great free apps for Android, the ipad ones you mostly have to pay 2.99 for. Ironic that apple became the microsoft they were so bitterly fighting against in the 90's and certainly the IBM they were fighting in the 80's. My point is to develop in Android and if need be port to iPad.

:ghost: :bdot: :pacman:
"Day after day, alone on a hill, the man with a foolish grin is keeping perfectly still" --- Billy Shears
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Just a thought: Seeing as there's so much software out to port win8 and the like to tablets, why not just do a quick performance test? Gravitating things down slowly might improve developement... Especially seeing as I have gltron on my android and it is despicably slow. It lags with touch, and the fps is 9 or less. Slowly but surely is the way to go.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

btw: windows phone 8 does support native code (C++), so porting it should be pretty easy

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I don't know about the poor performance you're getting with GLTron. I haven't tried it on my tablet (no Market...) but the most of the 3D I've tried (pretty much only stuff I've written) has worked pretty well. CPU seems to be the bigger limit slowing stuff down.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

It could be the fact that my phone's native cpu limit is 806 Mhz, but I've overclocked mine to 1.4 Ghz and it's stable, other programs and stressers report a maximum FPS of about 50 to 60 depending on the coulours used so...