Button config

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
xtrapoint
Average Program

Button config

Post by xtrapoint »

I accidentally made the [f] button=right turn not knowing it would completely take away the full screen and then I found out something, there is no way to make another full screen button! If that was added it would be appreciated. I'm running on 2.8.3.1 if that matters.
--They say nobody is perfect, then they say practice makes perfect. I wish they would make up their minds.
--The less people speak of their greatness, the more we think of it.
--Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
--I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.
--The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
--There are two types of people - those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."
--It doesn't matter what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.
--You can't have everything in the world, where would you put it?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Button config

Post by sinewav »

xtrapoint wrote:...there is no way to make another full screen button!
You're wrong! Aren't you happy about being wrong? Haha...

Seriously though, to bind your full screen option to a different key, follow this path:
System Setup > Misc Stuff > Global Keyboard Configuration > Toggle Fullscreen.

:D Hurray!
xtrapoint
Average Program

Post by xtrapoint »

sinewav wrote:
xtrapoint wrote:...there is no way to make another full screen button!
You're wrong! Aren't you happy about being wrong? Haha...

Seriously though, to bind your full screen option to a different key, follow this path:
System Setup > Misc Stuff > Global Keyboard Configuration > Toggle Fullscreen.

:D Hurray!
I've never been so happy to be wrong lol.
That's what I get for thinking, "nah they would never put it there..."
--They say nobody is perfect, then they say practice makes perfect. I wish they would make up their minds.
--The less people speak of their greatness, the more we think of it.
--Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned.
--I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.
--The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
--There are two types of people - those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."
--It doesn't matter what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.
--You can't have everything in the world, where would you put it?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Where would you expect it?

(Just noticed that the Moviepack setting actually would be better in the graphics/preferences menu. Not saying I'd move things around, the keyboard configuration stuff is a bit peculiar and autogenerated and can't be freely moved item by item.)
Sithy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Sithy »

I would expect the fullscreen toggle to be Command-F or Command+Shift+F or Command-M (on Mac) or Alt+Enter or Alt+F (on Windows).
Having toggle fullscreen is handy once you get used to the placement but hitting it by accident is always annoying so having a key-combination seems more appropriate.

Amirite?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

A little tip: Over the years I've noticed a lot of people will comment—or complain when they crash—that they accidentally hit the (toggle) fullscreen key. Now, for years I just unbound mine since I never went into windowed mode. But when I decided to re-bind it, I put it on my right mouse button.

Incidentally, I put the (toggle) spectator mode on the left mouse button.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ok, so maybe it's best to leave fullscreen unbound out of the box? And maybe a tool tip for the fullscreen entry under Screen Mode pointing to the place to bind it? Although, that tool tip is rather full already.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

add it as another part of that last tutorial
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote:Ok, so maybe it's best to leave fullscreen unbound out of the box?
That, probably. Putting it in the tutorial won't work too well, I think there are still odd cases about where toggling fullscreen while a game is running crashes the game or causes other problems.

What I meant by 'where would you have expected it?' was 'where in the menus would you have expected to be able to change it?', not 'what key (combination) would you have expected to work?'. We can't do combinations right now, they're not implemented because they don't make sense for most input actions.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I would expect it to be right where it is, under Global Keyboard Configuration. Only problem is that's a bit buried, and I wouldn't necessarily expect that to be under "Misc Stuff," but probably alongside the player(s) input configuration(s). In fact, atop that list, on the same level.

As a matter of fact, seems to me each of the 'Misc Stuff' items might be better suited elsewhere.

I think key combos are a bad idea; some folks would like to use the control or command keys for turning, say, so you'd end up with having to reset two separate functions in two separate menus, and perhaps not realise it.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, basic support for key combos isn't the problem, the UI for setting them would be if we want to keep the current possibility of using standard modifier keys for direct actions. I guess the only way would be to let the user bind modifier keys themselves: they'd declare left shift as MOD1 and left control as MOD2, then they'd bind instachat 125 to MOD1+1 and still be free to use right shift for direct actions.