0.4: xcb crash bug

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: 0.4: xcb crash bug

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Ooh, yes indeed, though it has nothing to do at all with the error message :). Looks like when I added back the engine sound, I forgot to make sure again that while the sound thread is actively mixing things, no game objects should be created or destroyed. That's clearly mixer action on a nonexistent object. Setting the sound quality to 'off' should avoid the crash.
That doesn't disable the sound for me though. Everything still makes sound like normal (I think?) I don't see (or hear :P) the difference.

I am going to test this now .. so I'll give my feedback when I crash or ... don't crash after a while.
Light

Post by Light »

Okay .. I had the sound quality set to off, but like I said, the sounds still played. When it crashed, sounds stopped and the cycle kept going, but as soon as I turned *crash*. I assume that you already figured that out from the error messages, but I wanted to tell ya just in case it may provide some sort of assistance.

Anyways, that did not work as a solution.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You need to restart the game to apply the sound settings. Annoying, yeah, but the new sound system does so many things I don't properly understand that I couldn't get it to just re-initialize.
Light

Post by Light »

I feel stupid now ...

Okay, the sound has stopped, and I will test it again soon. Hopefully no more issues with crashes. :) I'll let ya know.
Light

Post by Light »

It seems to have fixed the problem like you expected. If I may ask .. When do you expect that it will be fixed? I didn't think it would bother me, but it feels weird to be unable to hear bikes coming and whatnot.

Thanks for helping me be able to use it though. :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The fix is already in bzr, part of it was on 0.2.8, though, and that needs to finish propagating from there over svn to 0.4 and back to bzr. Should be online in an hour tops. And of course it'll be in the next snapshot. I'll try to do one immediately. The only thing left preventing me is that they put a load on the laptop and force me to turn on the big PC, which makes my wife complain about the noise sometimes :)
Light

Post by Light »

Great! You Rock :)

I'll test it once you got the snapshot up. :D

Edit: hah you had it up when I replied awesome
Light

Post by Light »

After 1,000 seconds of trying to crash it, I think you fixed it. Well done, and thanks so much. :)

My arms are tired of mashin' the turn keys for 1K seconds straight now. lol

edit: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

As soon as I submitted this, it crashed. :(
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I didn't put a snapshot up yet (uploading now, it's z1747). If you built from bzr, the revision with the complete fix is 1227. (use bzr revno to get yours). Well, complete as far as I knew. If it persists, can you do the gdb thing again? Just in case there are two errors and we just fixed the more common one?
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:I didn't put a snapshot up yet (uploading now, it's z1747). If you built from bzr, the revision with the complete fix is 1227. (use bzr revno to get yours). Well, complete as far as I knew. If it persists, can you do the gdb thing again? Just in case there are two errors and we just fixed the more common one?
I did the snapshot since I saw the latest was Nov 1st I assumed it was the one you just said about. "assume" .......... lol

Can you post here when it's up in the 0install so I can check it out? Thanks again.

edit: okay i see the 1747 up now. Thanks :)
Light

Post by Light »

2800 secs no crash - i think you've successfully fixed the issue :)

I guess this can be ticked solved or whatever ya guys do here. Thanks very much and sorry if I was a bit annoying.
Light

Post by Light »

I played a long time yesterday without a crash, and today I played almost an hour and a half and got a crash. I don't believe the sound stopped before it, but it happened when I pressed esc to bring up the menu.

I'm not sure if that will help ya, but it will be hard to get a debug report if you need it because it can take a long time, since the last night was over 10K seconds and I closed it myself.

Just wanted to let ya know so possibly you might be able to see a small error quick.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, a crash is a crash, so it would be really nice if you could just play in gdb (not specifically trying to reproduce the bug, just generally playing) and paste the backtrace here if it happens again. I'll try to scan the source, but any help I can get to narrow it down is greatly appreciated.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Well, a crash is a crash, so it would be really nice if you could just play in gdb (not specifically trying to reproduce the bug, just generally playing) and paste the backtrace here if it happens again. I'll try to scan the source, but any help I can get to narrow it down is greatly appreciated.
I have to play windowed when I do that though because it freezes the window when it crashes. My current session is over 20K seconds with no crash. It's nearly impossible for me to play well in windowed or I would have no problem doin' that. I haven't had a crash today, but yesterday I had 2. It don't happen frequent enough to be a complaint, I just wanted to let ya know it happened.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I could never sit through this much tron in windowed.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You can make the window as big as your screen and instruct your window manager to display it borderless.